[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Now i know what vicious means

Now i know what vicious means

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Now i know what vicious means

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Really? The Binlor change was what broke VHoS for me. Both bosses do magic damage, and Binlor was handing out magic resist like a madman. Anyone could reach 45%, or 60 if you lucked out on the elven boots.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:36 pm

That was when I first started. I saw that dungeon and immediately gave up.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Well my activity consisted of roflstomping the game with the old 4 magic slots monk, not believing my eyes when you guys were not complaining about him and hoping it would sort it self out eventually because it seemed so obvious. I didn't want to interfear because I sort of thought that you guys needed some time to catch up with the basics. :oops: Then he got buffed instead of nerfed and I, err, got active despite my long firm stance on non-interfearance...

(And err, same for the thief and TT more or less)

And I also only really got into the forums when all gods were out there thinkging that the only reason no-one got around to nerfing all the stuff I was abusing for ages was because all the dev time was being used on adding stuff. Frustration was penting up, and well, it ended spectacularly...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:44 pm

Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:52 pm

I'll second that.

Vicious requires a whole new level of skills and strategies.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Except in case of Dragon Isles and Namtar's Lair, because they're just regular dungeons with monster stats cranked up to 11, and the only "skill" you're supposed to apply is a realization that with enough unlocks you can powerlevel much, much faster than is needed anywhere else.

And that the top end boons and classes can apparently get you through stuff which makes stuff that you thought was hard look easy.

EDIT: And since they leave you with comparably less assets to even out yor bloated collection of perks, you get to choose fewer, and overcome more numericaly difficult challenges with them. This can then easily open your eyes to just how inherently powerfull all that stuff is. I'm talking about the Hack, Bloodswells, Rogue, Monk, Assasin, Potions, the usual suspects...

The biggest missasumption about them is that you need different skills. It's the exact same routine you've been doing except you find class/prep/item/god combinations which lets you "cheat back" at the game. You can even apply them to regular dungeons and stand amazed at how easy they seem all of a sudden, or you can apply them to regular dungeons and be left scratching your head and thinking - why didn't the game suggest I can do this earlier?

But again, we've been through all this before...

I'd personaly prefer if they took out VHoS to make everything symetric and adjusted Namtars Lair overall difficulty to include Blah Blah and The Undomitable as bosses number 2 and 3. Adjusted ofc. With the vampire unlock quest moved there ofc.
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, the game never suggests you can do any of that. The beauty is figuring it out yourself!

It's like when I went beat Super Mario RPG without equipping armor or using timed hits. I'm not upset that the game is much easier than it has to be, because the first time I ran through I still died a fair amount.

That's a proper difficulty curve. You can't expect to beat a game, go back to the beginning, and then still be equally challenged!
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:10 pm

Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:11 pm

That sounds like my Super Mario RPG example!

Or when I beat Super Mario World without using the Cape :)
gjaustin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons