[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Playthrough notes

Playthrough notes

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Playthrough notes

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:05 am

PQI Error? Sent me to Den of Danger or somewhere where I had everything, so I did the flaming Creeplight.

Flaming Creeplight Elf Sorcerer - Went with sorcerer to lower my chances to be stuck with him on all the warmonger runs. Went parched and unstoppable, but didn't prep anything massive. Balanced dagger is really nice on the sorc, as you can set up easy kills in the next tier while you prep a ding. Not sure about powerfull. Creeplight is less cramped than I remember it - I might be misremembering and confusing it with the old Eastern Tundra.

PQI Warmonger Halfling Assasin in Norther Desert Went Trisword + Taurog (+RBS in case of Goo Blob).

Gameflow Issue - There really ought to be some sort of Warmonger questline or something, because it's really difficult to get that badge naturally.

Taurog Idea I wouldn't mind Unstoppable Fury granting either Might or Phys Res erosion. Just a thought.

PQI Purist Goblin Sorcerer in Western Jungle Was fun, but having found a Soul Orb, much of the challenge was mitigted. Burning setting off plant spawning is still annoying, it's an even bigger annyance/hazard on bloodmage silver.

PQI Hoarder Dwarf Assasin in Cursed Oasis Was the crazyest run in a while. I mistakenly though I was missing both Hoarder and Miser, so I prepped the translocation scroll. Then I saw the Soul Orb in the backpack and picked it up due to Thralls, since I knew I was going Mysterea for the Weakenings. Then I saw that I was prepping Soul Orb and picked Patches up (o.O). And I prepped Mysterea for the Weakenings. Then RNG screwed me over by completely surrounding my prepped altar (with monsters)* so I ended up cursed and spent the entire game in the curse world, havin seel less than 1/4 of the map :D Leveled up off high level bandits, took 3 Weakenings to kill the wraith, went back to the real world to pick all the stuff up. Only thing left on the board were magic damage monsters, so I translocated the agnostic collar, desecrated Taurog (Hoarder), joined TT, Desecrated Mysterea, used whoopaz + dodge (prepped) on the dragon, cleaned popcorn up, picked up two sets of potions and did the dragon in. Ended up unstoppable, hoarder and miser, and only then realized that I wasn't missing Miser but DING! max :lol: Fun!

*Taurog's altar in the nothern desert was, however so well walled off that I had to explore half the map to go around the big stone blocks and the other end was guarded by lvl 6 guys. Took 3-4 monster kills for the terrain to change enough so I can reach him.

New Poison lets you do a neat trick where you can still get the assasin bonus if there is a sliver of poison left on the monster. (0 tiles, but he's still groggy I guess).
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 am

You can get Warmonger in Magma Mines with the fiery sword. Poke him once to start the burning, then ignite it off of someone else.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 am

Lujo

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:59 pm

Bonus Bravery II - Tinker With Crystal Ball and extra mana prepped did it. Found TT and the bonus subdungeon was the monster zoo, leveled up off a glyph conversion and went to work. Used IMAWAL to level, CB and GETINDARE to kill above, fireballed the goo with the help of a ding and mana potions, picked up 4 hits of poison strike, joined binlor and picked up platemail and proceeded to pummel the SMM with poison and repeated BYCEPSS hits which got me knocback right when it was all over. Forgot I had whoopaz, and I traslocated the Dragon Soul for the fireballing. No badges at all, but very satisfying expirience non the less.

Bonus Bravery II - Transmuter Picked up the dragon soul out of the backpack, prepped mysterea and stuck with her. Found balanced dagger and combined it with WONNAFYT to level up VERY efficently (not having to explore at all and fighting stuff your own size will do that). Used APHEELSICK and a barrage of Mystic Balance fireballs (took 2 mana on top of that for a 3 fireball mana pool) to take down the goo, and THEN I found CB in the shops. Picked it up, and proceeded to burn down SMM with a newly picked up refreshment (and a whoopaz). Killing him made the meat man start corroding, but I was out of there ^^

Bonus Bravery III - Crusader Was crazy awesome! Went in with Dragonshield, patches and drac prepped, picked up the fake lvlup boon, and killed a bunch of stuff (focusing on magic stuff and staying away from undead). Even used IMAWAL (and in retrospect one level of lifesteal wouldn't've hurt). Got to lvl 7 somehow stuck at 33% resists. Then used whoopaz on SMM and APHEELSICK regen fought him to death using up all the exploration. Then I did the biggest strat switch I've ever seen or herd about - I hit the goo and downed a few health potions, then converted 2 for piety. I the DESECRATED BINLOR. O.O. Then converted everything but Burndayraz and went over to Mysterea, picked up 2 hits of magic, went down to the subdungeon and picked up Elven Boots off the Zombie, picked up dragon soul, picked up mage plate, picked up battle mage ring, picked up flames, picked up schadenfraude - and dinged. Goo went down to my 29 mana mana pool (patches didn't give any res but handed out mana all the while). Wow.
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:57 pm

Ok, so general notes:

Final sub-vicious badge was Faithless on Shifting passages, and it's probably telling something. I did it with ease with a gnome warlord who found a keg of mana, and the other boss was bleaty, and I had a soul orb, and I prepped a tri-sword. It's about as cheezy an approach as you can find, probably the cheezies by a wide margin because I used a more specific but not as ppowerfull to pick up the vicious badge in CO.

CO Note Codex using sorcerer of EM had a very easy time, and retaliate fireball from the codex doesn't seem to stack with retaliate fireball allready on bosses, so anyone dead set on fireballing stuff that retaliates on it's own is greatly boosted by this thing.

Spellcasting Between weakenings and Mysterea in general, and Codex + EM, I'm not sure there IS anything you can't fireball to death if you know what you're doing.

Vicious Badge - Is acquireable in all sub-vicious dungeons by goblin sorcerer worshipers of Mysterea, and where it's not, by genereal cheeze. Looking forward to seeing other strats enabled, and suspect fireballing will see some tweaks. Maybe will, maybe won't, no skin of my posterior - it makes you work for you sucess.

New Bloodmage Works in mysterious ways.

Blue bead got me thinking about something, and I'll make a relaxed thread about it but my internet connection made me lose a huge and fun textwall - sort of "happy fun times guide to the blue bead" kind of thing. I'm sad about that.

Creeplight Ruins - needs looking at, if for no other reason then because some mechanics work differently than in both other dungeons of the same tier, and in other dungeons with multi-form bossess (NL comes to mind). It's also pretty damned hard unless you pack something excessive, which means it's pretty hard for a lot more stuff than there is stuff that can deal with it.

Warlords could take a nerf and not notice. Repeatable cydstepp with 50% attack practicaly guaranteed is waaaaay out there.

Dungeons which were unbearably frustrating on vicious mode before I gave in and reached for cheeze CO took five tries before I caved in, Hex as well (wasn't yet used to the mode but still), Creeplight (was used to the mode but took many tries), Slime Pits (took everything a vet could possibly weaponize - is doable and all that, but was markedly harder than other places). Other places went down to pretty much the same approach, so I can't tell what they look like - maybe they shaft other approaches but I was using the one they don't.

Shades just by being in a dungeon add a bigass hazard. Also a luck based one, and lately they've been blinking into the fog a lot so I got to see a lot of "worst case scenario's" with them, and they really mess you up. Proper LEMISI use and all that, I know, but still - I'd love to know if they are taken into account by the devs when assessing the difficulty of any place. They really dictate your gameplay.

Sub-Vicious Completion - All at 68-72%, with the Den of Danger and Venture Cave at 100%, Shifting Passages at 75% and Hobbler's at 65%. Two extra locker slots, Bank at 40 000 gold cap, no extra veto slots.

Locker: Dragonshield, Codex, Cauldron, Namtar's Ward, Fabulous Treasure, Trisword and Crystal Ball. One slot free, I have Soul Orb in there currently, but I put the bead, fire heart or viper ward in there occasionaly.

Veto: Spoon, Rock Heart, Pendant of Health, Hero's Helm. Considering taking the health pendant out for the codex and B2P strats, and Rock Heart for PISSORFF and conversion. Would have to really think about what to veto.
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Dwarves - Keg of Health is a nice thing to locker if expecting Dwarves in your PQI. The stacking health per level bonus is really, really strong with enough health potions, and I would've known this before, too, if it wasn't for the locker bussiness.

Shears - Leave plant drops behind, very nice. The 10 health they add are also nice. Trick is filling up your inventory first.

Dragonsoul - works really well with paladins, apparently. Not sure if anyone tried. Should be a hoot with halpmeh monks as well ^^ Well, I'm not going to complain about it, but it's a crazy ass item. I'm not complaining, now or ever.

Codex - I'm overusing it in combination with EM. It's not too easy to pull off, but doing it carelessly still saves me enough resources to beat sub-vicious stuff by throwing everything at them. I frequently "run out" of EM piety due to forgetting to spam IMAWAL or even pay attention to what's happening, so I can't even tell how "strong" the actual strat truly is. I'm mainly using it for guaranteed Gorgon, Priest and Monk PQI/Flaming/Completion, but I also use it on any run where nothing I have lockered has apparent sinergy with the required race/class or classes I never managed to figure out due to never having something that works with them lockered. Lots of fun, though, everyone should try it.
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons