[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Playthrough notes

Playthrough notes

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Playthrough notes

Postby Darvin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:01 pm

I disagree with your listing. I'd put blue bead above stone sigil. Then again these are all play style differences. I tend to save up a LOT of popcorn.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Ty, I won't be unlocking the berserker camp soon, because I'm going for a slower development this time around (had enough of optimization tbh). If the next one falls closer to the early side of things, I'll certanly give it a shot.

Won't unlock dagger till Gaan'Telet runs, and I haven't unlocked the Vampiric Blade at all and Agnostic Collar for ages last time around, and I went for Mage Plate 1st this time around because it was so usefull last time (and I' decided to play around with staring classes and dungeons for a short while first). Was nerfed, I know, but I liked it better than most people. The god-awfull-trice-damned-shop-poluting-useless-blue-bead-of-utter-pointlessness is a great item in my eyes and will be unlocked as soon as possible, as well.

Otherwise, good list.

EDIT: Avatar beat me to it on the bead issue, I'm a notorious popcorn monger myself too :)

Also, Darvin, where are you on the silly potion prep kit issue? Avatars going full cheeze with autoprep Namtar's Ward, I'm trying to hold middle ground with "just the potions are silly enough" stance, whats your postition? It might account for the love of the bead, powerleveling that way saves you tons of popcorn...

EDIT: - ?????: is the third halfling puzzle doable at all? I'm not sure I've tried every possible way (haven't gone out of my way to save the DP till the snake) but I can't for the life of me think of a solution... Just need info, is it working as intended or has something changed somehow?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Darvin

Postby Dreamdancer on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:51 am

Can somebody explain me the hype around the Martyr Wraps?
Assuming I found the boss around lvl4, till I get lvl7 to fight him, the boss will have 3 stacks of corrosion.
While I fight him, he gets probably some more. But I can't imagine that he'll get as many that the stacks result in a free attack (for this the acumulated damage should be around 60, or better more).
On the minus-side I'll have 7 stacks myself and must pay 8gold for the burn-salve. With the Cauldrom from Naga City this could be cool, but this item is so new -> can't be the hype.
Only other idea is, that corrsion might be nice against the Goo boss (think damage from corrosion ignores resists?)

For Fireball characters I like the Mage Plate really well, so i would rate it higher.

But for position 1+2 i totally agree. These two items are really awesome and i think i've prep'd them 90% of the time, till i have them.
Dreamdancer

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 am

The damage adds up. I also dismissed this item for the longest time until Lujo demonstrated how it adds up. Yes, you will want to use a burn salve (or Jehora Jeheyu's Chaos Avatar) to remove corrosion, and yes it does penetrate resistances.

First of all, martyr wraps are surprisingly strong early. Every time you hit the monster your next attack deals one point more damage. A 1st level monk or assassin playing regen games is going to eventually topple very powerful monsters, and the damage applies both to melee and fireball. You poke at a 4th level meat man fifteen times and everything - including your fireballs, is hitting for about 20 damage.

Second of all, the damage adds up. It won't do much against low-HP/high-damage bosses, but against tanks like Wall of Goo or Super Meat Man or Frank it makes a huge difference. If you hit the boss 12 times, that's 78 extra damage from the melee attacks alone, which works out to 6.5 extra damage to melee attacks. However, the corrosion damage also applies to knockback (PISORF) and fireball (BURNDAYRAZ), which means you're actually getting well over a hundred extra points of damage over the course of the boss battle.

It's not an item for Warlords or Rogues, but for Monks, Assassins, Paladins, Bloodmages, or anyone else that hits often and/or needs to follow up with fireballs it works wonders.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 am

Wow. I always doubted the wraps, but it really adds up.

What do you think of the nerf? You have to see the monster to corrode it on level up. Was that too harsh or fine (in case you can't tell, I almost never use the Wraps).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 am

Well, I'd say the nerf was was bloody necessary, and yes, the damage indeed adds up like you wouldn't believe unless going really heavy striker. With the Vision restriction - few early hit's of LEMISI is pound to reveal the boss in most circumstances. The fact that it adds to you fireball and pissorff damage is a big seller though.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:26 am

A knockback attack lets you double-dip on corrosion ;-)
Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:48 am

You could remove the positive on level-up effect entirely and the Martyr Wraps would still be good. Monks and Paladins will get the most out of it.

The drawback isn't as bad as you might think it is. Just use your prepped Burn Salve the first time the corrosion would prevent you from winning an important fight, and buy a second one for use after the popcorn stage of the game is over.

Hey, does corrosion get triggered by the Sorcerer's Mana Shield?
Sidestepper

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons