[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Foo Strats (Or Newbie Crutches?)

Foo Strats (Or Newbie Crutches?)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Foo Strats (Or Newbie Crutches?)

Postby Dreamdancer on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:58 am

Gnome Bloodmages especially with the Trisword are also really newbie friendly, i must know it :)
Nice damage boost and in the end one has a minimum of 28% Sanguine, with the Manapotions from conversion this goes even far higher -> 3-4 blood pools for a full heal
Dreamdancer

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:43 am

Halflings and Gnomes with Triswords are awesome. Try a Gnome Warlord with the Trisword (next version, after they fix the Warlord bug), or a Halfling Rogue (just need to find a god who can boost your HP), or a Halfling Priest or Halfling Berserker. All work breathtakingly well.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 am

The so called Trilings were a big staple and a definite foo strat back in the day when only Health Potions fueled Trisword. I suppose the gnomes are even better now, but Triling Priests are another thing worth mentioning ^^ Actually it was a no-brainer broken strat, but the introduction of a gold cost to fueling the trisword made it compete with strats that are fueled by money, so it's deffinitely more proper foo now.

It's actually a big argument in favor of Martyr Wraps - they mesh better with conversion heavy strats and give out big damage for resistance stackers. Then again, Triling Monks would really be silly if Humans and Orcs didn't just work better (or do they?). Triling paladins, on the other hand - god...

One thing we might've not stressed enough is that the GETINDAERE glyph, even without the dodge prediction is a deffinite foo element, if not outright broken. 3 mana for a hit on anything provided it's the last one? It gets you places.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:44 pm

I think GETINDARE belongs on the list. It's not that obvious at first, but it saves an ENORMOUS amount of resources.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Dreamdancer on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:06 pm

I think first strike and dodge is what makes the Rogue so awesome. First one thinks it might be the +40% damage. But first strike saves much more ressources and if one finds GETINDARE, the +40% damage bonus are only a small cookie after a solid meal.
Dreamdancer

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:19 pm

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:52 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:25 pm

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Well it IS possible to mess puzzles up by fiddling with the cost, but I'd wager most of the vet's could agree on that. It's been overlooked rather than truly underpowered, and if it did warrant a buff at all, a straight up buff that made it this powerfull probably wasn't a good idea in retrospect. I know the dev's were hesitant to make it apply to the Rogue, and that turned out to be a good assesment on their part too.

Maybe we can invoke the "you guys said we'll see how it goes with the GETINDARE buff" from way back then and answer with a late but sincere "we saw, it's too good, please do nerf it a bit?".

I whish one of them would tell us if straight up GETINDARE dodge prediction abuse was the intended way of doing Rogue Silver or is it just unintended? Last time I had heaps of trouble there, this time I just used the statues to set up my Dodges and whiped the floor with everything... Now that I think about it, if 101% gaze doesn't kill you on a dodge, I was a dope, and could've done it even easier -.-'

Removing the dodge prediction would also work wonders in the stright up nerf department. It's strange that the sensible policy of there not biend a +dodge item was in the end screwed over by there now being a stackable +dodge and dodge prediction quasi-item wich costs no gold. Having TT fork one over on worship was also a bit of strange move in my eyes it's not like the bugger really needed a buff (and my choice would've been WHEYTWUT as he for some reason gives piety for using it).
Last edited by Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons