Dungeon of the Day - Master Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Dungeon of the Day - Master Thread

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:57 pm

Awesome. So that's the official ruling for the next Dungeon of the day thread?
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:03 am

That plus class handicaps so that we avoid the berserker/wizard issue that forced us to split the divisions this time around.
Darvin

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:04 pm

The Avatar wrote:Also, if more players start doing this, we might want to create divisions. It could be as simple as vet or non-vet

This is a good suggestion, but it may be difficult to invigilate who should go on each side. Ultimately we are relying on the honour system that people aren't just going to Photoshop their score screen, but this could become very thorny particularly around whatever arbitrary cutoff point we select. It's pretty obvious that people like Avatar, Lujo or me are veterans who belong in a veteran division, but where do you draw the line for people like Dreamdancer who are right on the edge of that distinction?

I don't think more than two divisions is a good idea; it doesn't make sense unless we have a huge number of submissions, but in that case it would become a nightmare to administer.

I'm more of mind just to do something where a panel of judges (for the sake of argument, let's just keep using "Avatar/Lujo/Darvin") can hand out awards like "best new player", or "most creative victory".
Last edited by Darvin on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 pm

That could work too. Either way it could work.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:53 pm

Whatever we decide upon, I suggest a ban on VICIOUS rewards as preps, and on prepping Reflex, Quicksilver and Whoopaz. Reflex and Quicksilver are the only things there which you're not suposed to find in a dungeon anyway, and for those two you're supposed to worship a suposedly tricky god. All of the listed stuff gives too much power.

Relying on honor to enforce this might look like too much, but if the vets are playing the same dungeons as the casual/mid/newbie people, we can at least know when to raise our eyebrows and inquire as to how someone managed to pull something off when it looks like your or avatars recent victory screens.
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 am

Whatever we decide upon, I suggest a ban on VICIOUS rewards as preps, and on prepping Reflex, Quicksilver and Whoopaz

The problem is that this is impossible to enforce. I think that we just need to build it into the scoring presumption for the purist medal and leave it at that. Besides, having a slightly over-valued purist medal is probably a good thing for beginners, since they don't need to worry about bleeding gold from their treasury to participate.

Relying on honor to enforce this might look like too much, but if the vets are playing the same dungeons as the casual/mid/newbie people, we can at least know when to raise our eyebrows and inquire as to how someone managed to pull something off when it looks like your or avatars recent victory screens.

While this is true, it becomes very difficult to enforce the honour system across a wider range of skill levels. A moderate-level player who "cheats" with banned preps/items isn't going to raise too many eyebrows.

The only way I feel we can really move to anything more advanced is with the support of the devs. Something similar to the "high score" system in the alpha where players can submit runs and we can verify medals, time, kills, and preparations (perhaps even glyph/subdungeon/boss/shop spawns).
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:10 am

Yeah, all this had me thinking that some way to review run preps after the run would do a world of good when posting run pictures for balance assesments anyway. Most of my lenghtly post run exposition would be completely unnecessary if my preps were obvious...
Lujo

Postby Dreamdancer on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:18 am

Think a short summary of the important steps of the run, like
Preps, probably what bought / glyphs, which god worshipped (boons?), when boss fight started, how many mid-fight lvlups...
would be great.
From this the other people could learn something, like general tactics, how to use a class...
From the top level region, everybody could learn what is possible (ok, this might be less about learning, but seeing what is possible for a low level player)
But i think in the moderate to low level the other players (i mean the other moderate to low level players) could learn more, since these people are more likely to use preps or buy stuff or use glyphs.
So in the end we would have a huge amount of small annotated playthroughs. Hope you get my idea.
Dreamdancer

Postby gjaustin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:50 am

As I suggested in the other thread, I'd really like if we added monster classes to the rotation. They could be their own separate division, but I'd like the opportunity to try this with some of them.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:47 am

Updated master thread for the completion of round #3
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons