[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Yar Where Be the nauticals.

Yar Where Be the nauticals.

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Yar Where Be the nauticals.

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:54 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of a dungeon builder/editor. That can't throw off game balance, but it does add unlimited playtime.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Well, that would be fun, yeah :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Gavster on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:55 am

I agree. 9/10 mods suck but when they don't.. look at counterstrike from half life.. battle for wesnoth anyone? There are definate mod worthy contenders, its about whether modding is worth the effort and its potential is programmed early.
Gavster

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:03 am

Modding is definately worth it. DD's core system has so much potential for embellishment, and that's all cool dungeons are. The more the merrier and there's no way to create unlimited content except moddability or a dungeon editor/builder.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Sylliqoue on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:07 am

there always going to be those mods that are just cheap, but I think we'd be more likely to see mods that just add content instead of subtracting from what makes the game so much fun, a dungeon builder would be a nice addition. Quick question, if DD were going to release dlc after the games official launch, how much would you guys be willing to pay or would you not?
Sylliqoue

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:54 am

From what the devs have said in the past, I gather that too much of the game is hard-coded for it to moddable without actually recompiling the source to create a completely new executable. Even overlooking the technical difficulties of fans making mods in this way, there are legal and ethical concerns if someone did this. It's sad, but I'm fairly certain that DD modding is a bit of a pipe dream and simply isn't going to happen.
Darvin

Postby ChasGB on Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:49 am

ChasGB

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:05 pm

I have a feeling there's no way to speed up the full version release, as there is simply a fixed amount of work still left. Which is why we're able to test sweeping things like the poison and the odd new feature / tweak if there isn't too much on the menu...

And unless the guys need a big infusion of money, no real need to - the game is practicaly allready out minecraft style, the big thing that'll happen when it comes to steam is that it'll be visible for more people. First time it goes into a bundle or on a discount we'll probably be flooded with new people at least saying "OMG what an amazing game you got here" :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby ChasGB on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:30 am

Oh I know, that's why I said it was wishful thinking at best. Nothing to do now but wait impatiently. I am serious about paying $50 for an Xbox version; theoretically, the leap between a WP8 version and an Xbox version would be small, and though my wife would kill me for Bogarting the TV, I'd play it nonstop.
Last edited by ChasGB on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChasGB

Postby The Avatar on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:00 am

Since I'm not much of a programmer, I have no idea how difficult being hard coded would make it. Sure is a shame though.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons