[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Weee, first Vicious Win!

Weee, first Vicious Win!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Weee, first Vicious Win!

Postby Naoya on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:07 pm

So, there've probably been a ton of those threads out there, but....
Today I've beaten my first vicious dungeon, and I'm overjoyed that I did it.

So, out of Curiosity, I wondered, what was your first vicious Dungeon? How did you do it, how many tries did you need?
What was the main problem?

Mine was vicious Halls of Steel. When I first saw the Indomitable I literally went WTFWTHWHATTHISTHISMADNESS before realizing his damage drops with every DP. Then I just steamrolled it with a Bear Mace Sorcerer (Yay for 3 DP/Hit), though the real problem was figuring out what I'd do with Count BlahBlah. I really hate those high-dmg-good-hp-bosses.
Then I tried Berserker, and naturally, he just slaughtered the whole Dungeon. Gotta love the Bearmace btw.
Took me around three tries, surprisingly enough, tho I think Vicious Halls of Steel is probably easier than other Dungeons.

Now, time to gnash my Teeth out at Naga-city. GNGNGNAGR.
Naoya

Re: Weee, first Vicious Win!

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:47 pm

Congratulations!

My first Vicious dungeon was (a much older version of) Dragon Isles. I used a Dwarf Berserker so that one health potion would heal more than the Matron would do it one hit.
gjaustin

Postby Nurator on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Congratulations! You can now refer to yourself as "Vet" ^^

Mine was Dragon Isles, although it is much harder... sorry to say but Vicious Halls of Steel is one of the easier ones ;-)
Good luck with Naga City. It has even more of these "WTFWTHWHATTHISTHISMADNESS"-Moments :D
Nurator

Postby paplaukes on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:31 pm

"WTFWTHWHATISTHISMADNESS" is pretty accurate! In fact, it's so accurate it made me remember Dragon Isles (cleared them once) and realise they are on Vicious difficulty, too :)

It took 3 tries. First pretty much was to just explore the place to see what is it all about. Second try, barely cleared it all and went underground to be greeted by, well, WTFWTHWHATISTHISMADNESS :D 3rd try, decided on an Elf Paladin, Glowing Guardian worshipper. Prep was probably dwarven gauntlets. Can't give you too many details, but the piety was used up, the potions were used up (god complaints be damned) and it was pretty much "anything goes" mode. Altars may have been defiled...

Not going back any time soon... Recovering in Hobbler's Hold ^^
paplaukes

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:38 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:02 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:26 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:51 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Naoya on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Welp, and there I got my second Vicious - Naga city gnome BloodMage. Gotta love the crystallBall -
You'd be surprised, Vet's hijacking your threads and dropping hints/secrets is kind of awesome. It's awesome to see how you guys make the most seemingly useless things into methods of mass-slaugthering. So, hijack to your hearts content *;gets a notepad* :P I checked the wiki btw - some of the old stuff looks really really awful.
Naoya

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:27 am

There are lots of interesting combos, but at the end of the day there is a single truth: attack power is king. There are some good spellcasting combos, but with very few exceptions they still want a decent attack.

Resistances are powerful, but not as powerful attack. Mana is great to have for spiking, but so is attack, and attack also gives you a great attrition game. Health is also good for spiking and in most cases you need enough of it to survive at least one hit, but it's also the most common perk found in boons an items so you rarely need to plan ahead. No, the one stat to rule them all is attack; the most powerful and important attribute in Desktop Dungeons, bar none.

And before anyone mentions the Monk, yes the class is that powerful that it needs massive penalties to attack damage in order to remain balanced. Double health regeneration... nothing else remotely like it in the game.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons