[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Namtar's Lair and Naga City

Namtar's Lair and Naga City

All things Desktop Dungeons

Namtar's Lair and Naga City

Postby FDru on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 pm

1. Was Namtar's Lair removed? If not, how is it unlocked?

2. I need a solid strategy for completing Naga City, as Gorgon is the only class I don't have unlocked and I cannot beat this dungeon with any class so far. I have not even gotten close (4 bosses is my best) and the strategies on the wiki seem to be outdated.
FDru

Re: Namtar's Lair and Naga City

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 pm

I recently beat it with all the spellcasters. I'll dig up the specifics from the notes tommorow, but a Wizard should be able to do it with liberal use of PISORFF.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Naoya on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Gnome Bloodmage with, Mystera,CrystalBall and Elite Items also works pretty darn good, I must say.(Itotallydidn'tcopythisfromLujosthread)

Use B2P and Fireball to level yourself while gaining enough piety for 2x Mana,Mystic Balance, Flames and Refreshment.
If you can, pick up things like the mage battle ring and convert everything you can't take with you. Probably buy an additional Schadenfreude.

Now, get the alchemists Pact underground and start chucking Fireballs at 'em. Use CrystallBall before B2P, use potions, convert stuff, etc. Basically use everything you have, Mana potions last. Desecrate 1 or 2 Altars if needed (you get enough cash for that). Alchemist Pact and killing the bosses should give you a few additional levelups, and if you still run out of steam convert to GG for Mana.
For Zombie/Supermeatman I also recommend a Can of Whupazz for obvious reasons.Weakening on the stealgolem/Kinissch is pretty useful too . Man, I love Mystera...

Dunno about Namtairs Lair, I got it after unlocking Vampire/ defeating VHOS.
Naoya

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:27 am

Is there still a quest on HHoS? Completing that should unlock it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby FDru on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:09 am

Yeah... actually... I have Namtar's Lair sitting on my map. It's probably been there for a few months, laughing at me everytime I googled to see where it was.
FDru

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:33 am

The simplest way to beat Naga City is with an Orc Rogue with Glowing Guardian prepped. This is a strong enough combo that you don't have to engage in any god-swapping antics to win. Here is a simple set up that will win consistently and is easy to work with

Locker: Dwarven Gauntlets
Thief: Black Market
Church: Glowing Guardian (essential)
Mage Tower: Attack Boost
Blacksmith: Perseverance Badge
Bazaar: Extra Shop (convert for extra GG piety)
Potions: Burn Salve, Reflex, Quicksilver, Strength, Shadenfreude (sub in Whupaz for Burn Salve if you have it and lack confidence)
Alchemist: Compression Scroll

This is not the optimal set up, it is an easy set up. You can screw up or have bad luck and you will still be okay. The plan is to be a monotheistic follower of Glowing Guardian. Convert Health and Mana potions on sight. A better strategy would be to save your potions for a deity switch, but that is easy to screw up and we are trying to keep it simple here.

Immediately worship GG. Convert your Shop Scroll and take as many hits of Absolution as you can. As you explore, you'll want to convert any potions or glyphs you find right away,with a few exceptions. If you find LEMISEE, use it until you have located both stairs and the fireball glyph, and then convert it. If you find either ENDISWAL or PISORf, leave it on the ground until you know where the secret dungeon is. Convert it after you access the secret room. Keep the Fireball glyph. HALPMEH is probably even better, but we are going for simplicity here. Be careful buying things. You want to buy either the Midas Gloves or the Troll Heart. Save your gold until you know what your options are.

Use Strength + Quicksilver to get your first kill. You want to bag a or 4 or even a 5, but it's fine to settle for a 3. Throw in the Reflex potion if you have to. You're going to want to free up space anyway. Grab Humility right after leveling up and then keep Absolving as you can. You want your inventory to consist of your compressed Dwarven Gauntlets, your remaining potions, the Fireball glyph, one other item, and then the rest should be Prayer Beads. As you use your potions, replace those slots with more Beads.

You should be able to curb stomp the dungeon. Take Enlightenment at the first opportunity and then just kill everything. Usually you will want to tailor your experience so that you are just a hair short of a new ding before descending, but don't bother. Your Enlightened Orc Rogue will be a beast and doesn't need to care about such things.

Before you go down, convert your Troll Heart and/or Midas Gloves and then use your remaining cash to buy and convert what you can. Make sure that you leave one full slot open, because you will want to buy things down below.

With even passingly good technique, you should be able to demolish the arena. You'll have upwards of 150 health, 100 damage, and 18 mana. Use the gold drops from the bosses to unlock GG's altar, buy and convert the kegs, and buy the Yendor amulet, and roughly in that order. Remember that Cleansing converts your damage to magic, which lets you demolish the Tower of Goo and Tormented One.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:00 pm

That combo is so good you can probably crush Namtar with it too, as GG drops you magic res. Still, for a true ROFLstomp in namtar's lair you should convert into GG after getting magic res from Binlor.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:08 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 pm

I had a Dwarven Paladin of GG with Fire Heart strategy a while back (the patented Healthmonster), which used the %-based healing (from protections then potions) and levelling to deal with grindy dungeons like Naga City. I think that'd still work. Probably not the easiest strategy (compared to Rogue or Bloodmage) but maybe the best Paladin strategy for a level with so much XP and that healing cask lying around (Binlor could also work, I guess).

Thief with Fine Sword, More Glyphs and god-of-your-choice (I dunno, Taurog is usually pretty nifty, JJ wouldn't be bad) worked very well IIRC.

Just blitzed it with the rogue strat suggested above (Dragon Shield because Dwarven Gauntlets unlockered, without Compression)... very easy... I dropped fireball and went with straight cleansing-and-attack. Without troll heart or gauntlets I think I hit 180 HP (I more or less got rid of all my inventory space in the process).

The current Naga City is not a tremendously hard dungeon once you're used to managing piety and have a god prepped, since the kegs, popcorn and yendor can usually get you through a bad wave of bosses... I'm not sure how to purist it... I guess bloodmage, vamp might not be durable enough without platemail/shield.
Blovski

Postby Naoya on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:12 pm

Naoya

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons