[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Concise Challenges Writeup

Concise Challenges Writeup

All things Desktop Dungeons

Concise Challenges Writeup

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:45 pm

So, before I do the late gam writeup, here's the missing challenges writeup ^^ Fingers crossed the devs pay attention :)

Fighter

Bronze - It's fine.
Silver - It's fine.
Gold - is godawfull, difficult and requires a very precise way of handling as well as probably requiring a RBS. It also unlock before you unlock the RBS and is the only one that can actually cost you gold (and has cost me a hefty 1000). Yes, it was nerfed, and, no, it didn't help enough. Also, I couldn't do it with RBS, I completed it with heaps of GETINDARE abuse.

Berserker

Bronze - It's fine, and I loved the flavour.
Silver - It's fine, and I loved the flavour.
Gold - It's one of the 2 dungeons which have VICIUOS dungeons as unlock prerequisites. This is annomalous and very jarring. And it doesn't even have the awesome flavour! (The challenge itself is fine)

Warlord

Bronze - It's fine, and I loved the writing.
Silver - It's fine, and I loved the writing.
Gold - It's way more difficult than the majority of the challenges (or vicious dungeons for that matter). Could be toned down by a lot and still be fun, or if going for a more subtle toning down, the biggest issue for me was inventory space, so a compression seal on the first boss kill would be a good place to start.

Thief

Bronze - It's fine.
Silver - I did it with heavy reliance on GETINDARE, so no clue about actual difficulty. EDIT: Avatar's vid showed what was the problem for me - too many chests.
Gold - The new balanced Dagger seemed to have fixed it for FDru. I remember only managing it with old GETINDARE abuse.

Rogue

Bronze - It's fine.
Silver - I beat it using the greatest GETINDARE abuse gimmick ever, which is not viable right now. I suppose it was ment to be done some other way, lifesteal and overheal I think, but in that case it unlocks too early.
Gold - It's fine, did it without GETINDARE. It did drop a pair of Midas Gloves in the end for some reason.

Assassin

Bronze - It's fine (or rather was before the poison changes, but it's probably still fine)
Silver - Same, most likely.
Gold - Looked intimidating turned out to be the easiest gold challenge, most likely. It's probably fine.

Priest

Bronze - It's fine.
Silver - was done with heaps of GETINDARE abuse and might be a tad too difficult.
Gold - It's fine and I liked it a lot.

Monk

Bronze - It's fine, and I loved the twist.
Silver - It's fine.
Gold -I used old APHEELSICK and it took me a bunch of tries. Maybe just a tad too difficult, or it seems so because of the general lack of familiarity with Slime Pits.

Paladin

Bronze It's fine.
Silver Is the only silver challenge which requires a vicious dungeon unlock, and that particular one requires a Berserker Labyrinth run which is NOT easy. This is my biggest gripe with any challenge, with the Fighter and Thief difficulty being second. The challenge itself is surprisingly easy.
Gold It's the most difficult challenge out there. You have to juggle too many things to win it, and it needs toning down.

Wizard

Bronze - it's fine.
Silver - it's fine, except the MAge Plate unlock can screw up the buyout quests.
Gold - it's fine.

Sorcerer

Bronze - It's fine.
Silver - Not sure. Last time it was very difficult, this time I ran into GG and did it with ease. If GG's a guaranteed spawn, then it's fine, if not then it might be too tough.
Gold - it's fine, but I don't remember if there was any GETINDARE involved.

Bloodmage

Bronze - it's fine and appropriately gothicky.
Silver - it's doable, but it's also the most difficult silver challenge, most likely. That's probably fine, though.
Gold - it's fine and I liked it a lot.

Ok, so most of it works, some of it needs tweaks, and most of it doesn't need too much fiddling with. However:

1) The unlock prerequisites for Berserker Gold and Paladin Silver have to go. Either that, or all gold should have the same type of exploration prerequisites, depending on how early do the devs want veto slots to be unlockable. But the way it is now is unintuitive, annoying and wrong.

2) Fighters gold needs to stop being able to drain your cash. It's also too hard and needs a nerf. So do thiefs silver and gold, Paladin Gold, Warlord gold and priest silver, at least. How much of a nerf - depends on the dungeon. But some of them are impossibly annoying and/or impossible, some are just quite a bit above the difficulty curve in their category.

3) The early available silver unlocks can cause difficulties with the buyout quests, but how early they are available has certanly changed now that GETINDARE can't be abused so hard.

4) The "suggested" gear label is misleading, as most of the suggested stuff is actually MANDATORY, and attempting these challenges without it will just lead to frustration, and in fighters gold case, loss of gold. I suggest either: making them unavailable before the required pieces are unlocked, unlocking the required pieces just for the sake of the dungeon (yes, even altars), or, in case of relevat gear starting the player off with it.
Last edited by Lujo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Concise Challenges Writeup

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lujo

Postby paplaukes on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:07 pm

I agree on fighter gold challenge being very difficult.
paplaukes

Postby Naoya on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:44 pm

I find thief silver to be alright, actually. You just need to figure out the trick... though I wish lemmisi would uncover the lv 2 guards and a few of the statboosters a little sooner. Its annoying to scum for a decent starting situation, which is really all you need.

Thief Gold is indeed doable , but... pretty unfun. Youre pretty screwed if you can't get Getindare early, and in generell I find the chests a bit too hard to reach. Especially considering that you can possibly have a ton of weaken and corrosion by the time you find them. YaY for dieing on Chests \o/ .

I wholehartedly agree with Priest Silver. You can't prep binlor, and the map is pretty small/cramped. If the map would be a bit more open it probably would be ok...

Naoya

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Fighter: Very true
Berserker: Perhaps, why not?
Warlord: I liked the challenge, but agree it could use some nerfs.
Thief Silver: Doable, but tricky. Probably too tough compared to other silvers.
Thief Gold: I disagree. It is actually on the easier side if you are willing to get some stacks of corrosion and weakening. You can get 2+ level kills between ENDISWALL, another hit, and GETINDARE.
Rogue: Consensus, Warrior pact.
Priest: Whupaz or Old GETINDARE. Now just whupaz.
Monk: I did it without APHEELSIK or HALPMEH, but it was an incredibly tight run. A tad too difficult.
Paladin Silver: Definately.
Paladin Gold: Agreed. Definitely beatable by a vet, but still difficult.

That's what I think.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Ach Wheesht on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:22 pm

I've only done the church challenges, but the monk gold challenge seemed to be the toughest by a considerable margin - it felt like a lot of things had to go right to leave enough blackspace for the boss (EM spawned at entrance, weytwut/poison/fireball all spawned, found boss early), and it took me upwards of 15 attempts. Priest and Paladin gold seemed trivial afterwards - Paladin was just a matter of getting to level 7 quickly then whittling down the bosses resits to a reasonable level.
Ach Wheesht

Postby FDru on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:22 am

You may want to reevaluate Thief gold. I thought it was impossible before, but beat it on my first try with the new Balanced Dagger.
FDru

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:40 am

Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 pm

I would go as far as to say thief gold is too easy now. Assuming you can find GETINDARE (they should make it spawn next to you) it is a joke. The key is knowing the chests and planning accordingly.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons