[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Gorgon Rework Idea

Gorgon Rework Idea

All things Desktop Dungeons

Gorgon Rework Idea

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Would probably take a bit of coding, but I think it would be awesome. Gorgon's due for a rework anyway.

Step 3 - recode the statues that IMAWAL creates to be PHYS and MAG immune monsters with 0 damage that can only be targeted with ENDISWALL and heores with the Death Gatze ability. And possibly PISSORF.

Step 2 - Start the Gorgon off with IMAWAL instead of ENDISWALL, and have the statues she naturally creates contain the 1 gold. Let her be able to dispose of the statues she makes naturaly through death gaze, and thus gain a +1 gold per kill. The IMAWAL would help her level to take easier advantage of her poison, and the gold can help towards buying conversion fodder for the death gaze or fueling gold-intensive items.

Step 3 - Possibly adjust her damage penalty to take the new poison into account.

*Step 4) If it would save you the trouble, you could probably simply make her death gaze ignore resistances and leave her attack penalty the way it is. She'd be able to attack statues and have an awesome niche...

Et voila, a bit of work, but you have a workable and powerfull class, as well as possible new interactions with statues. Adding +1 gold to the statues when she petrifies stuff wouldn't hurt anyway...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Gorgon Rework Idea

Postby gjaustin on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:15 pm

I think the best fix is to give her something like +3 attack per level. It boosts her attack, while still leaving allowing Death Gaze to do more damage than a regular attack.

For reference, before the poison change I'd have only suggested +1 attack per level.
gjaustin

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:06 pm

Wow. We've been playing the Gorgon a lot recently and she really doesn't feel weak at all... We've had multiple runs that felt crazily powerful and turned out to be completely different strategies when we came to talk about them with each other.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:11 pm

On the subject of "gold for statues", I actually dislike this. Part of the coolness of petrification is leaving the map littered with statues, and a game mechanic that encourages you to bust them up really interferes with that aesthetic. I'd prefer if IMAWAL just dropped the gold directly into your inventory on petrification rather than requiring to combo off with something else (almost certainly ENDISWAL) to gain full effect.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:19 pm

My entire suggestion came out of the frustration that comes from walling off your chokepoints.

I mean, I can sort of see how she's ment to be played, but having to lug around an ENDISWALL (even if you have built in sinergy) just to get rid of a roadblock you always create is offputting. If she could bust the statues without it it would be fine.

Or if we got the gold, that would compensate, and play to her CP centric benefit without having to overload her with preps.

And if she were an IMAWAL centric character, that'd put her into a "natural EM worshiper" territory instead of "natural Binlor worshiper", which sort of makes no thematic sense and Binlor really doesn't need any more worshipers :D
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:42 pm

gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:26 pm

I second Darvin on disliking gold under statues. If anything, put it in your inventory.

I like the idea of extra base damage for the gorgon.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:31 pm

I just managed to wall off the floor to Horatio in HARD Gaan'Telet and have no way to break my own damned statue. This is just sad. I don't care how powerfull she is - she isn't fun. I don't even care how fun she is in theory to the tinker loving me, that inventory space / do it yourself patches mechanic is just terrible.

EDIT: I just managed to "barely win" in HARD Gaan'Telet with the Gorgon and I was prepped to the eyebals. She's an awesome concept but too damned unwieldly and awkward on the user interface front. And her attack penalty isn't even noted on the adventure prep screen -.-

If coding wasn't the issue she could work like this:

Ability one: 25% Phys res, Deathgaze immune, -40% Attack penalty,
Ability 2: 5 poison per level, Retaliates against low health opponents
Ability 3: Starts with IMAWAL, can attack statues for 10% phys res (or even res both)

Conversion: 5% Deathgaze

There - no blocking off your own chokepoints, works practicaly like Stheno from Hex Ruins, fits thematicaly with the south and has an edge in plant maps, can level desently with IMAWAL and thus gain more poison, and can use the statue gold to buy more CP.

EDIT: And would in fact be totaly cool for cramped maps because she could IMAWAL and Destroy whatever is blocking her path as long as it isn't magic immune.

EDIT2: On a whole different note, if the statues were destructible for everyone, that would open up EM as a chokepoint clearer and let you acess the gold. Would also make IMAWAL make more macro sense if less direct sense.

EDIT3: I didn't take the curse removal on IMAWAL into account, but seeing how curse really messes her up, that alone is a good reason to start her off with it.
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:37 pm

I totally agree on destructible statues, though stoneskin might be a bit strong, even if only for her.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons