[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Extra pixels

Extra pixels

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Extra pixels

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm

Ok, the halfling vid's up.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby q 3 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:06 pm

q 3

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Lujo

Postby q 3 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:29 pm

I actually don't see it (Crystal Ball and BLUDTOPOWA) as being as big a problem as you; you're using this strategy in a hard (not vicious) dungeon and still only manage to get 3/10 medals. If the game were tweaked so that powergaming and optimal play were required just to win, and just to win even in the intermediate difficulty levels, then the game would quickly become impossible for anyone but the zealots.
q 3

Postby Lujo on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

You want I should do this in VICIOUS? Because it's exactly the same, and more powerfull on it's own than anything else I can think of (it beats the hell out of Demonic Library for one thing, and DI as well, and come to think of it it beats Naga City and VHoS except it's PISORF instead of BURNDAYRAZ, and it beat Namtar more or less...)

And I'm not talking about powergaming and optimal plays - what you just saw was surrealy sub-optimal, yet either just as powerfull or even more powerfull as any sort of real deal. That's how I knew it'd work - those are first try videos, basicaly, because I practicaly beat the last 1/3 of the game with more or less nothing by that, except with Mysterea or Binlor.

And the "strat" is so braindead it takes actual mental effort to make enough mistakes so it can show it's pure form. Sucessful and determined application of it, and it kills bosses at lvl2-3 so it's worth it, requires you to light-heartedly do stuff that would make a vet cringe.

Heck, if someone were to make a list of "mistakes" and "sub-optimal" stuff I did there, it'd make a fine textwall. 3/4 of the list would be potential interesting content my video could've showcased, and at least a few would be potential crowning moments of awesome. You can literaly outright refuse to pick up glenrick at lvl 1, ignore your natural subdungeon, waste space left and right - and still win rather handily. Badges be damned.
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Well, here's one possible crystal ball solution: every time it's used, the crystal ball degrades slightly and requires more charges to work. The first time it's used, it has its full power. The second time, there's a -3 mana surcharge. The third time there's a -6 surcharge, then a -9 surcharge... and so on and so forth. The more frequently you activate it, the bigger the penalty is. This would prevent overuse without seriously impacting it for cases where you find it late and really only have time to charge it up once or twice.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:29 pm

That seems a bit harsh in addition to the gold penalty. Since the gold penalty isn't working anyways, I'd just drop it.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 am

q 3

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:03 am

I think you missed my point, maybe it was my fault - this wasn't strategy, this was opposite of strategy. It would still work even if it was nerfed a bit, except I couldn't just walk up to a boss and start fireballing away practicaly as soon as I walked into the place...

1) CB effect is a strong enough effect that it could, say, cost more gold and still be worth it.

2) B2P works for anyone, and the way it works is that it creates blackspace out of nowhere - simply put, with it on board you have extra blackspace available equal to 1/3 of the current total, as long as the only thing you care about is mana. It works like that in any dungeon for any class, bloodmage just means you don't have to scum for it. Dungeons and challenges, MODERATE ones not hardcore-minmaxy ones, where built with a certain ammount of blackspace in mind - if you use B2P you effectively gain an extra mana for every 3 tiles you explore. This makes what I did OPTIMAL and stupid at the same time.

That's the thing, it looks like I'm wasting blackspace, when in fact B2P makes it so that exploring in another way is sub-optimal. If it gave, say, 3 mana for 3 tiles, you'd be getting the crazy powerfull effect of being able to regen fight monsters while substituting the damage you'd be taking from their hits (you use fireballs so you don't take any), with the ability to throw more fireballs at the monsters. But you'd have to at least pay attention to what you're doing a little bit...

What I'm saying is that it currently works as a regen-fighting tool, rather than an spiking tool, because it's just a tad too efficent. Do you really think a nerf would "kill" it? If it was a bit less powerfull than it is right now, do you think we'd all be at a loss?
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:44 am

Having seen the manner in which Namtar's Lair is "beatable purist" I decided to do one more "I'm annoyed with the following feature" video, a purist Namtar's Lair run. It'll take a while to edit, comment, render and upload. No scumming, but no skill either, just ungodly ammounts of luck and merciless exploitation of a handfull of over-the-top-features.

Video rendering, I hope I didn't arse it up. Also, Darvin might be interested in this one particularly ;)

EDIT: It's uploading, should be up in an hour and a half or so...
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons