Spiked Spikes and Slashy Swords

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Spiked Spikes and Slashy Swords

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Dragon Soul item properties changed to 15% chance of free glyph cast.

Interesting; this has definitely got me curious and I'll be trying it out later. Like unpredictable dodge, though, it may be difficult to leverage even if it is quite powerful.

Balanced Dagger bonus is now 3 XP

I'll give the Balanced Dagger another look now. It's a little weird since it changes your entire game plan, so it'll need playtesting to know for sure whether this addresses its issues.

Naga Cauldron bugfix, now permits overheal

Sounds good; now here's hoping to see it in the Slime Pits next week ^_^

Non-level XP bonuses apply to Slayer Wand (learning, petrification, etc)

Not going to change my opinion of the item, even if it is a sensible change.

Orb of Zot effect now effective vs hidden monsters, buffs player while in inventory

Sounds great; I'll definitely give this item renewed attention.

Crystal Ball starts off charged when bought from shops
Crystal Ball increases in cost per use

Interesting direction. I like making it start off charged when purchased from shops, but I dislike further pinning its downsides on its gold cost.

Transmuter now replenishes mana before triggering Spirit Sword
Strength potion damage adjusted
Strength potion and Spirit Sword will prioritise instance with highest damage
Strength effect: adds +1 damage per character level

All interesting stuff. I don't think the +1 damage per character level will rescue the strength potion from being predominantly used by 1st level characters at the start of the dungeon run, but it's a step in the right direction.

Good changelog, though once again I must mention that if APHEELSIK is going to remain at 5 MP then mystic balance needs a change, since it affects too few glyphs now.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Darvin wrote:Good changelog, though once again I must mention that if APHEELSIK is going to remain at 5 MP then mystic balance needs a change, since it affects too few glyphs now.

I wouldn't be surprised if next week we find out that Mystic Balance gives a 15% chance for a glyph cast to cost nothing.
gjaustin

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:38 pm

I think that it will play out similarly to Rogue dodge. You get an occasional free attack, and you use the free resources to help set up your next kill.

You can also pull a trick with Dodge that I call "dodge scumming," where you poke a monster that you could only beat with a successful dodge and just go exploring if it doesn't work. This is only worth doing if you have no good targets and need to explore anyway. The problem that I see is that Rogue attacks do way more damage than Fireballs do, so this might be marginal on a magic support time.

I could see this being really nice on Warlords, where an occasional free CYDSTEP will save you enormous amounts of resources.

Also, Orb of Zot sounds beastly now. Going to have to pull it out of my veto slot and see what happens. Or better yet, leave it vetoed by also put one in my locker. I think that Monks will be able to do crazy things with this.
Sidestepper

Postby FDru on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Lujo wrote:
gjaustin wrote:I'm actually not convinced it will work that well for Fireball spammers. Since you can't depend on the 15% triggering, it won't let you fight anything you couldn't otherwise.

Depends on how hard you spam. PISSORFF can get more triggers, sure, but less effect per trigger. Except that you should be ablet to really go nuts with Rock Heart, this thing and CB (even after the awesome tweaks ^^).

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_upload - Vampire roleplay video up, as per request ^^

That link leads to nowhere!
FDru

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 pm

The problem that I see is that Rogue attacks do way more damage than Fireballs do, so this might be marginal on a magic support time.

This is my concern, as well. However, I don't think it will be a huge issue if it's well-priced at the shop. It's probably not locker-worthy, but as a shop item it doesn't need to be.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 pm

FDru wrote:
Lujo wrote:
gjaustin wrote:I'm actually not convinced it will work that well for Fireball spammers. Since you can't depend on the 15% triggering, it won't let you fight anything you couldn't otherwise.

Depends on how hard you spam. PISSORFF can get more triggers, sure, but less effect per trigger. Except that you should be ablet to really go nuts with Rock Heart, this thing and CB (even after the awesome tweaks ^^).

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_upload - Vampire roleplay video up, as per request ^^

That link leads to nowhere!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ1tUvlN ... D441A14910 - srry, dunno how it happened, fixed the link.
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Just used the Cursed Soul as a natural drop in Cursed Oasis playing a Bloodmage. It works really well for spell spammers like the Bloodmage. It might even be a viable alternative to the Crystal Ball if you're playing a gnome. Consider that the average mana return for Fireball with the Cursed Soul is 0.9 and is 1.0 for the Crystal Ball, and that the Cursed Soul is small and doesn't tie up your gold. The problem is the Soul is unpredictable and only reliably maintains near parity with the Crystal Ball if you lean really hard on magic.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Woah. Awesome update! I'm pretty sure the Dragon Soul will be my new go to prep for Warlords.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:34 pm

What's the deal that every time we reach a consensus that some subdungeon is overpowered, it turns out that it's EVEN MORE TERRIBLE than we thought?

Did anyone ever kill the goblin in the subdungeon which gives you the wand which turns out blasting the warlocks instead of the goblin? The one where you basicaly get 2 hp and 2 mana potions for no good reason or effort?

Because if you use the wand, you can't - he gets the "talk". But if you hit him on instinct before talking to the warlocks, something surreal happens. If you didn't know, try it and fall off the chair...

And then blast the warlocks with the wand for the potions... Devs are trolling us :D
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Because if you use the wand, you can't - he gets the "talk". But if you hit him on instinct before talking to the warlocks, something surreal happens. If you didn't know, try it and fall off the chair...

And then blast the warlocks with the wand for the potions... Devs are trolling us

Okay, I've got to see what you're talking about.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons