[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Purist Vampire CO

Purist Vampire CO

All things Desktop Dungeons

Purist Vampire CO

Postby FDru on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:48 am

Explain how this is even remotely possible.
FDru

Re: Purist Vampire CO

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:28 am

Biggest issue will be AA's. As a purist Vamp you're unlikely to have any resists or DR so curse will have little impact on you, plus you're immune to the mana burn and poison of the Thrall monster. Won't be easy (vampire generally doesn't do purist well, and CO is a hard dungeon) but I really don't see it being any worse than using a purist Monk here.
Darvin

Postby FDru on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:33 am

Monks can worship gods. You don't think that makes a difference? They can also regen normally, which is a huge deal since shades are everywhere.

The mechanics of the vampire make CO an absolutely miserable dungeon. The closest I've come to winning was killing the Curse Shade by using absolutely every resource available, including every low level monster and potion, and having like 18 stacks of curse by the time I was done with that. The dragon was not even an option at that point.
FDru

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:03 am

First try. It was a tough run, but not particularly notable among class/dungeon mismatches. This is definitely comparable to purist Monk on Cursed Oasis, or purist Berserker in Slime Pits. Doable but difficult runs that may need a bit of scumming. Don't know what you're complaining about here.

I had to choose between Parched and Unstoppable badges at the end, as I had a level 9 and level 8 AA left on the field with about 5 layers of DP each when I ran out of resources. I decided to go for parched.

I got a bit lucky with subdungeon (though a vampire cannot properly leverage zombie money, it was still five extra blood pools and a bit extra cash) and glyph finds (had GETINDARE and HALPMEH, pretty much perfect for a vampire) but my shops were barren and my best find was a bloody sigil. Even with the gold from zombie money to facilitate extra CP purchases, I only ended up with 5 stacks of lifesteal in the end (~500 CP). Top-level was fully-explored by the time I was level 5 and I began the takedown on the Shade boss at that time.

I've also got to saying killing that level 5 Thrall was a mistake; I could have drained him repeatedly at higher levels, but because I took him down early that was not possible.
Darvin

Postby FDru on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:47 am

I keep getting tons of AAs and no good leveling opportunities. I think I've had to level off of 1s every run except for once (out of about 6 runs). I tend to have mostly bandits as popcorn, so constantly stuck in the cursed realm (and no possibility to win without killing the Curse Shade). The shades always blink into the fog of war. Almost no enemies to drain for healing (only the dragonkin seem good for that either).

Best item I've found is a Fine Sword. No elite items. Occasionally something good like Platemail but no point picking that up here...

HALPMEH showed up in 2 runs, did not seem terribly useful as I kept getting drained and could not restore the mana. I converted it the 2nd time, as I figured more lifesteal would have been better. Actually spell casting in general seemed to be an unreliable strategy. GETINDARE is good; the one glyph I always held onto when I found it.

I can't even imagine how it's possible to get Feeling Parched doing this. lol
FDru

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:42 am

Darvin

Postby FDru on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:51 am

FDru

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:35 am

Darvin