[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The high end potions and the difficulty curve

The high end potions and the difficulty curve

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The high end potions and the difficulty curve

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Here's two ideas: Change it to +3, but every potion type only counts once or make it a flat cap of +12 (three fine swords).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Darvin

Postby FDru on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:55 pm

I'd like to see it made into a static item again, but don't have any good suggestions about how to do that. I think, thematically, that it should be a high damage item with some kind of penalty (since it's "difficult to hold") something like +30% damage, 15% chance for enemy to dodge... that is probably a terrible idea, lol. But I don't want to see yet another Slowing item.
FDru

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:38 pm

Sidestepper

Postby Bloggorus on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Bloggorus

Postby paplaukes on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:26 pm

paplaukes

Postby Bloggorus on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Bloggorus

Postby paplaukes on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:23 am

Short version: I don't think average players kill bosses at lvl1.

Long version: Unsure of what an average player is. I don't consider myself a pro at least. My impression on difficulty curve - it's there alright. The dungeon difficulty levels are accurate. Every better item has a quest or a challenge attached, a skillcheck in place. Even with all the combined preps, and I really don't count cheesy, non-average player ways of using them, you can only drop the dungeon difficulty down one notch. Every new unlocked place is scary, no matter the preparations. I never once felt like - "ok I unlocked this new place, let's faceroll it with everything I got". It's still difficult at first, there's learning to do. I think the "average player" difficulty curve peaks at hard purist gan-teleet - which is what devs designed as a win - and silver challenges. Gold are bit beyond that. Vicious dungeons, Vicious tokens - definitely not average player stuff, preps or not.
paplaukes

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:54 am

Bloggorus

Postby q 3 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:03 am

What if the potion preps were changed from 5 slots that you can fill with anything, to a purchase system where you can spend up to X kingdom gold at the Witch's hut and buy whatever potions you want. The hax potions would cost a lot more, and you would be allowed to buy duplicates - so a 40 gold cap would let you take, say, two health potions and two mana potions, but if you took a Quicksilver and Reflex potion then you couldn't afford anything else.

I mean, I personally view preparations as being the equivalent of a trainer, i.e., cheat codes, there to put the game on easy mode if you're having trouble or you just want to mess around. But I'm not altogether sure what the devs actually think about them, since the church preps are completely counter to that idea. It is kind of bizarre that you're free to bring in all the top-tier potions and wreak havoc, but you're not allowed to simply prep GG or JJ or Dracul (for the sole purpose of not having to scum for them) without suffering crippling penalties.
q 3

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons