[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The high end potions and the difficulty curve

The high end potions and the difficulty curve

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The high end potions and the difficulty curve

Postby paplaukes on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:08 am

Might want to read this and dislekcia's reply: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2514 :)

I don't think preps are a trainer only. I mean, purist normal dungeons, ok, purist hard ones - I'm not that much into pain thank you very much. Unlocks give you some power to keep up, but the hard dungeons still give you extra trouble.
paplaukes

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:11 am

Bloggorus

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:14 am

Bloggorus

Postby q 3 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 am

q 3

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:51 am

Ah, I see, my mistake. That could work well.

My solution involved removing a shop (apothecaries first) or something similar for every potion you take in above the base pair.

Or make any potions you take in other than the base pair add some poisoning, like toxicity in the witcher games. Could be a cool way to utilise the new poison mechanic.

Or just keep the slots at 2 and prep apoth if you want potions.
Bloggorus

Postby paplaukes on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:03 pm

And the discussion to make it harder continues :)
Just remember it's rewards you're discussing to make weaker. Harsh quests with minor payoff? Bleh.
Also remember they're like training wheels - at first you use everything, but when you get confident, they come off. However without them, you just get fed up trying. You learn less that way.
paplaukes

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:45 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm

Powerful tools are always more powerful in the hands of more powerful players. So you should take them away because the game is too easy for the powerful player even if it smooths over some sharp edges for the lesser player? Reminding you, Witch quest 5 & 6 are NOT easy. Even with a "guide" on how to do it, a new player will spend a significant amount of time trying to complete that. You now have a choice about completing those(and spending LOTS of gold doing it), or doing other missions without those potions. Once you have the potions you have earned the benefits of them(prep costs still go up during a time of hard cash flow).

Most of your complaints are post game complaints, and not only that POST POST game complaints. Like was said we need to be careful on the idea of nerfing things because they make things too easy for YOU(being collective vets), because it could easily do a lot of harm to the hopeful influx of new players when this game goes live.

Honestly, I think we should all spend a lot more time and energy documenting full strategies(like the acid caster one), and posting them on the wiki, documenting how to approach every dungeons with every class(like alpha had), and create a robust and welcoming set of information for new players. Post game balance will actually come from that detailed set of information I am sure.
xspeedballx

Postby paplaukes on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:49 pm

paplaukes

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Ok, one more time.

If the game needs training weels of this size then the game is too hard. If the non-vets are so thrilled to be able to finally get anywhere with this kind of help that they can't see this thread as anything other then "they're trying to take my toys away", then the game is too hard as it is. This is my argument, has always been.

You nearly quit the game? I've been there - I'm STILL there. My "tirade" about the vicious badge? Complete newbies can find a wiki and copy a "training weels galore" strat to get them to the PQI, and then what? Back to the old training wheels, and you're supposed to do it, too, because the PQI sayes that the game is ment to be so hard that all you learned isn't supposed to compensate for not busting out a trisword. -.-

It's degrading, guys. If the only way to have a fun, and not a frustrating expirience is to rely on stuff that removes the challenge to the degree that trisword, potions or old absolution does, and we're in a beta - the thing to do is to complain. If the bloodmage nerf makes him unplayable for you - the problem is with the game, not with the bloodmage - because you can really easily beat most regular (and some post post) stuff with him. I can make a vid, explain how you do it, you can copy it and beat pretty much every regular dungeon with ease. But the game is obviously not teaching this.

What's the point of documenting "strats" if the strats are just demo's of finding well above curve stuff and saying "this and this belongs in another game/difficulty mode use this to skip whatever's giving you trouble"? What'd that achieve, if anything other than that can be achieved?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons