[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The high end potions and the difficulty curve

The high end potions and the difficulty curve

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The high end potions and the difficulty curve

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:18 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:29 pm

Bloggorus

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:53 pm

Bloggorus

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:03 pm

VGT is beatable, but it isn't easy. Vampires have the best chance. What you really want to see is several high level meat men and/or HALPMEH. The lack of gods is crippling, but also liberating in that it doesn't matter what order you find the floors in.

Hardcore resistance stacking is almost required for any class. At the higher levels, even the ordinary mooks will one shot someone without percentage based damage mitigation. Then again, you are guaranteed to find both Dracul and Taurog, so maybe this is okay. Vampires are required to take Dragon Shield. I'm serious. I don't think it is mathematically possible to win as a Vamp without it.

My secret weapons for VGT are Patches, Quest Items (increased odds of Venom Ward and Soul Orb, which are good for both monsters and for mitigating Patches), and Really Big Sword. You really want Really Big Sword.

If I were to change one thing in VGT it would be to add some gold drops somewhere.
Sidestepper

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:16 pm

I imagine that the tower after all the crazy strats are nerfed will (hopfully) have some kind of crazy stat boosts or items everywhere, so you can twink out a character to the max. No nerfing, only buffs!
Bloggorus

Postby paplaukes on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:54 pm

So - why not twink your char now? Isn't that what preparations do? What's wrong with runaway multiplicative synergies? Is having certain munchkiny stuff in game inherently wrong? What's with this notion of "forcing players to [...]"? To me it sounds suspiciously like "I don't like some of the ways how the items can be used so nobody should use them that way" :) Just leave it as an option. Hell I might even do a textbook abuse of a halfling trisword tt/gg rogue (did I miss anything? oh yeah potions) sometime next year :)
paplaukes

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:48 am

The problem with extremely efficient strategies is that they become so good as to exclude themselves from the game. I wasn't trying to prove a point when I did my SMASH game, I was just fooling around with knockback and extreme damage stacking and Ooops! I killed the boss at level 1. I'm not supposed to be able to do that. I tried to justify it by saying that I had to use up the entire map's worth of resources to do it, but that isn't even true. I didn't even touch the monsters, which are the most important resource in the game, and if I had just created a +44 trisword at level one and then played the game normally I would have steamrollered it. What's more, I would be able to do this every single time I found a trisword as a gnome or halfling. The result is an item that I have to start ignoring because it's too good. I'd like to use it , but it breaks the game and is only fun to do once.

Self-policing kind of works but is against the spirit of the game. This isn't a roleplaying game, it is a puzzle game. We are expected to ruthlessly exploit everything in the dungeon, from items to monsters to religion, and heartlessly discard anything the moment it becomes less than optimal.

I'm sure that the devs are aware of the issue and have considered our suggestions. The trisword WILL be changed, it might just not happen this week. They have a lot of things on their plate, not the least of which is the parallel development My Skin and Tears, which I have been faithfully sending alpha reports to Nandrew about.

As for the general issue of preparations, I feel that DtD is really three separate games. You have Purist games where you just go in and hope you figure out a solution with the random puzzle pieces offered to you. Then you have light prep games where you take one or two items as a check against bad luck (Soul Orb for Warlords, Venom Ward for Monks, Burn Salves and Fortitude for general annoyance mitigation, etc.). Then you have fully prepped runs where you are trying to execute a specific and somewhat reproducible strategy.

In all three games, you are expected to use your resources as ruthlessly and cynically as possible, but it is not expected that you play the fully prepped game 100% of the time.
Sidestepper

Postby Blovski on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:25 am

I'd say cut the Parched with Reflex and Dodge (and Whupaz). That way, you let the hardcore get some sort of reward for holding back on bringing in resources while still letting people crutch with them (and they're really valuable crutches to have).
Blovski

Postby Bloggorus on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:37 am

Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:33 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons