[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Mystic Balance: is 7 mana CYDSTEPP too good?

Mystic Balance: is 7 mana CYDSTEPP too good?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Mystic Balance: is 7 mana CYDSTEPP too good?

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:55 pm

the deal with Flames is that it is too narrow. Unless you are specifically prepping for it, 95% of your adventurers will never end up in a position where they can afford a -50% hit to attack in exchange for a +25% efficiency in Fireballs. I have used it in weird emergency scenarios, but probably less than 5 times in total.

Weakness costs too much to be used unless you also got Flames, in which case you have to have it. The result is that two of her boons are limited to fringe cases.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Darvin

Postby Blovski on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:04 am

If mystera gave out less piety I'd be inclined to agree, but I seem to remember more or less always being able to get hold of 3 mana boosts, flames, refreshment, mystic balance and a couple of weakenings back when I was caster-assassinining it up... she spits out a *ton* of piety, so having some boons that are a little below-curve doesn't really hurt her. Mystic Balance needs a little buff (like reducing 5 point spells to 4 or something?) but otherwise she's still pretty strong.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:14 am

I really can't tell where you guys come up with this stuff. And I come up with controversial stuff. Stuff like "CYDSTEP isn't good enough" and "I never use Weakening and Flames" is what makes me feel like I need to spam arguments to explain the need for nerfs 100X more than is needed.

There's 2 things a Burndayraz spellcaster really fears - magic protection and retaliate Fireball. Otherwise you can burn down the hard SMM in slime pits, with a whoopaz. Weakening is one of the strongest, most gamebreaking boons in the game - with an investment dedication you can completely eliminate one of the only two things the devs can stick on a boss to keep you from burning it to death. 50% magic resistance - well worth 150 piety from a god who hands out enough piety to a dedicated caster that you can probably take at least refreshment on top of it. I PREP Mysterea for it, and pick mysterea up for it more often then any other boon.

Against a boss balanced to account for having big resists, a bunch of weakenings means +100% damage which won't be retaliated.

And I've picked flames up on Monks and Gorgons, wasn't sorry about it. And refreshment on anything. I'm even picking up Mystic Balance just for -1 on Fireballs, even though it might be overpriced.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Well, that is one way of looking at it, but on the other hand, with weakining there's little point to NOT being a dedicated caster :D
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby echephron on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 am

I know cydstepp has been changed a few times. I wasn't around for this. After beating demonic library by Cydstepping 12 times in a row, I would change it one of two ways:

1)For the next attack, your resists are set to 75% and ignore your cursed status.
2)Must have over 50% hp to cast. Warlords are not exempt, but get some other bonus(cheaper mana, can cast if above 25%hp, something else?)

It just seems cheap to chain Cydstep a dozen times.
echephron

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:43 am

Darvin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons