[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Super Vicious

Super Vicious

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Super Vicious

Postby The Avatar on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:03 am

Wow. In a late game conversion to Drac or GG, sure. Clearly you have better punishment luck than me. I got hit by 3 weakening once.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:07 am

gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:44 am

Exactly. Unfortunately, it usually also kills a solid chunk of blackspace.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:48 am

Spamming the cheapest piety-generating glyphs (BICEPS, GETINDARE, and WONAFYT, and to a lesser extent APHEELSIK) instead of the more expensive WEYTWUT results in significantly faster piety gain with JJ. Maybe I'll do a JJ Rogue video sometime, if everyone promises not to complain about the scumming required to make it work. ;)
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 am

Really? I think he gives an extra bonus for slowing, so I'd put WONAFYT down as the ultimate piety generator.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:16 am

Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:23 am

If you really want to get a feel for JJ at peak power, do this:

Gnome Wizard
Elven Boots
JJ altar prep
Extra Mana
Scadenfreude, Mana, +3 junk potions
Shop Scroll
Random Blacksmith junk (pick a cheap one)
Compression Seal

The Wizard's glyph powers plus the compression seal go a long way to making JJ's prep penalty tolerable. Spam WEYTWUT whenever your mana is full and work your way towards the glyphs. If you find GETINDERE, BYCEPS, or APHEELSIK, you can use these as cheaper alternatives to WEYTWUT for piety generation. I like to find a mid level meat man and punch him whenever my mana fills up so that I can reset BYCEPS/GETINDERE.

WONAFYT doesn't actually give you piety. It summons a monster to you, and if that monster was new, you get the usual piety, but it doesn't give you any innate piety. You can confirm this by WONAFYTing an already discovered monster. For this reason I don't recommend using it too much, since it ultimately means less piety for you than if you had used your blackspace to fuel other spells.

Most of the stuff you brought in with you is there to be converted. Junk the shop scroll, blacksmith item, and off-flavor potions as soon as you have all of your glyphs. Take Petition as soon as possible and then you keep taking layers of Boost Mana. With the guaranteed early glyphs from the Wizard, along with the efficient casting cost, you can probably afford four layers (the theoretical maximum) and still bank enough piety for a late game Chaos Avatar.

Each layer of boost mana adds 1.2 mana to each future potion consumption, so if you are a gnome with a huge supply of potions, you always come out ahead. The minimum you should aim for is 25, which is when each potion is worth 2 fireballs, but overkill is always welcome.

The gnome Warlord works also, but is complicated by the fact that you cannot simply ignore physical damage. The Warlord also lacks the piety collection benefits of the Wizard. It still works though, and it even worked before the Extra Attack/Extra Mana preps existed.

Halfling health monsters of JJ don't work as well. The issue is that flat health boosts don't scale the way that flat mana boosts do. It's okay, it's just not great. Try it with a Halfling Priest.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby paplaukes on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:32 am

Ways to gain JJ piety: he likes mob discoveries, he likes teleports, he likes when you oneshot (or maybe that's slowed mobs, or both). Likes conversions, likes... first strike/bycepss/wonafyt. The luck bit probably is finding him early. I find if you find him early on, there's enough piety for at least petition, 1health(and perhaps 1 mana) bump and chaos avatar. I probably even spend some time at 100 piety when waiting for a good moment to use the avatar. My favourite way - bossfight with few xp to level, kill an easy mob, level, use up health/mana, avatar level. Very powerful.

Edit: managed to miss an entire page of replies listing pretty much the same :)
paplaukes

Postby Lujo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:56 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons