SmackleFunky's

All things Desktop Dungeons

SmackleFunky's

Postby FDru on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:23 am

Now that it's spawning in every single dungeon, let's talk about it.

Personally, I dislike it. It's great if you are playing a "gold cheeze" build (Fabulous Treasure + Transmutation Seal, for example) which allows you to level up in there while creating tons of popcorn on the main floor, but more or less useless if you aren't. Under normal circumstances, why would I ever want to waste gold on spawning an equal level monster? Perhaps if I found both WONAFYT and a Balanced Dagger this could be an interesting prospect, but I don't think it's worth it outside of these special circumstances. I 90% of the time just see it as wasted potential.

My thoughts are:
1. It's too expensive to spawn one equal level monster for 5g in most runs
2. +1 level enemy would be more useful

While we're talking about subdungeons.. Venture Cave (and possibly others) seems to be spawning 3 of them. Can't remember if that's normal.
FDru

Re: SmackleFunky's

Postby xspeedballx on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:35 am

I just saw it for the first time. I utilized it for some extra level 8's to get me closer to a level when it was late game and I had gold to spare. But it seems to be highly dependent on class and how the run is going. That may be true of a lot of sub dungeons.
xspeedballx

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:29 am

Still, I'm with FDru here. It's bad 90% of the time. I would make it have a choice of what level monster to spawn (your level for 3g, one level above for 5g and two levels above for 8g).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:43 am

At the very least, make it be not so tiny. It has this incredibly marginal effect PLUS negligible exploration space.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:27 am

Agreed, it's too expensive for what it offers. Assassins can make pretty good use of it to eke out a bit more XP (spawn a level 8, level up and swift hand it, spawn a level 9, level up and swift hands it; 17 XP for 10 GP isn't a bad deal) but for everyone else it's hard to get any utility whatsoever. At the prices it's charging, it should just be giving away free XP (an effect that would be comparable to the Grove of Knowledge).
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:30 am

Very true. Still, it's got nice flavor, so I'd hate to change it from a monster shop.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby paplaukes on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:08 am

It's situational like everything else. I found myself saving it up for levels 6+ so I get more xp. It's bonus xp if you run out of mobs early. Helpful sometimes. Bypasses Labyrinth mob counter too, I think.
paplaukes

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Still, almost all subdungeons are good now. They all offer gold and a lame item. I'll take that over SmackleFunky's 99% of the time.

The Avatar

Postby paplaukes on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:54 pm

Variety. I'm usually all stuffed on items by the time I even poke subdungeons.
paplaukes

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:56 pm

Then it's a free 20 or so CP. Still better than SmackleFunky's.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons