[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Rambling

Rambling

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Rambling

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 pm

Totaly agree - and as has been said - the difference in perspective comes from having a firm grip of the gods, first and foremost. If the game's not teaching this - then ofc the Trisword is not an autowin. And if they were more acessible at the right times, more easy to get into to the level that you need to understand them, then you'd know what the nerf talk is all about. I've been there, and I've been pissed off like you wouldn't believe - the moment I got good with the gods I was furious at the game for wasting an extraordinary ammount of my time which I kept stagnating instead of pointing me in the right direction firmly enough.

I'm very familiar with the feeling of trying your best and failing because you couldn't have had a clue about what you were really supposed to be doing. I almost got banned because of how indignated and mad I was because of this, several times. And things were much, much worse once upon a time - this playthrough was the first time I actually discovered some stuff which was doable a long while ago, just because of the puzzles... God knows what I'm still missing.

And I don't know how to say this, but if q3's video was actually that instructing and lifechanging to someone who's been playing for 4 months then there is a real problem - q3's been dead wrong about loads of stuff in there, just like any vet would be - noone's got too good of a perspective of the whole thing. There was factualy wrong "good advice" in there in about the same quantity as actual good advice - most people can only teach you about the few things they've managed to stumble upon even after playing for a year...

It's one of the reasons I dread making "instructional" vids rather than demonstrational ones - god knows what all I'm actually wrong about...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 pm

gjaustin

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:23 pm

Really? Would you walk into Naga city with a random class and race combo? With minimal preps or purist?

What I'm trying to say is that the new 'standard' of vicious has trained many players to think that playing the pre-prep metagame is more important than it should be. Having that pinnacle of Vicious to reach tends to draw attention away from a lot of other, secondary content to be had in the rest of the dungeons.

I'm the first one to admit that when I fire up the game, those Vicious dungeons with their miserly completion stats are the first thing I think about.

If i ever do play around with the PQI, random run or just play an easier dungeon for the hell of it, it's because I'm sick of spending hours tweaking and scumming and prepping to still get my ass handed to me by a Vicious dungeon.

Super difficult game play is not fun, DIFFERENT gameplay is fun, at least for me. But I can't tear my attention away from Vicious for long enough to try somehting different, because that';s human nature. We always want to conquer the highest mountain, not necessarily all of them.
Bloggorus

Postby ChasGB on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 pm

ChasGB

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Bloggorus

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:54 pm

gjaustin

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 pm

@gjaustin: Maybe you're way better than me, but I consider myself pretty savvy about all the mechanics of the game and I can't get through it without perfect preps and strats. Maybe one in ten games with minimal preps i might get through.

This number is way too low, and will put off new players. When Steam players start flooding this and other forums people might realise exactly how low Vicious completion stats are.

Call me cynical, but I call a game that is too hard to complete failed game design.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:57 pm

I disagree with dropping or significantly nerfing vicious before release. You contradict yourself on this too. The very fact that vicious is post-post-game content means that it is the only that is justified to be how difficult it is. Still, I definitely agree there should be more incentive to go through earlier dungeons.

The only thing that justifies a possible vicious nerf is the fact that they are the only place to get monster classes. Still, it would make both of us happy if they just moved those quests to other dungeons. Actually, vicious has been considerably nerfed since its original creation, and is doable now.

@ChasGB: Here's a Thief Silver video I made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulOyMgGm2HQ.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:15 am

Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 am

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons