[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The horse is not quite dead: Locker space and fun

The horse is not quite dead: Locker space and fun

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The horse is not quite dead: Locker space and fun

Postby dislekcia on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:11 am

dislekcia

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 am

No, I get it. I never really seriously thought you were calling me a thief. I reacted to it the way I did because the word pirate is nails-on-chalkboard annoying when used even in the vicinity of someone who has paid for the product. I understand what you are saying about getting a warped views of things by short circuiting the process, but I kind of hoped you'd give me the benefit of the doubt after having been here a year and creating several strategy guides. I've cranked out more games of DTD than I care to admit, and the reason I hacked those slots back in is because the process took months and to do and I have no intention of redoing it.

I'm afraid that the nature of this thread has changed from a co-operative endeavor in which the players and the developers come together as part of the creative process to an antagonistic one where the player suggestions are being perceived as a demand and therefore any changes made based on that feedback would be taken as a defeat. That's not what anyone wants. Not even Lujo ;) Maybe even especially Lujo.
Sidestepper

Postby dislekcia on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:38 am

dislekcia

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 am

I think we deserve a bit more credit than this. I don't think anyone has ever asked for free locker slots. In fact, the most heated point of discussion with regards to balance has been "Trisword is probably too good, please consider nerfing." When scaled back the Rogue damage, people approved with nary a complaint. There really is a balance point where most reasonable people are satisfied, we just aren't there yet.
Sidestepper

Postby dislekcia on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:09 am

dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:35 am

Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 am

Appologies for inconvinience. Just wanted to explain soething. It's a bit strange to me, and always was, that you consider breaking through all 4 vicious as something of an achievement, considering how much of an obstacle they are is more related to the lack of info on resources than any "footwork" skill cap. Once stuff is on the wiki, everyone'll be able to do it. If you're not sure - remember the q3 vid? Not a day after, a self-admitted newbie's beat NL simly off of info he was missing and found there.

What I assume is that the game is going to be played for a long time by a variety of people. I've seen it with games, I've known several complete non gamers, housewives, who latched onto games like tetris variants and played them as a way to unwind for years and years. There's more of that these days then 20 years ago. There isn't really any need to chalk off post-endgame as "something few people will be able / willing to do". This is that kind of game - one that I'll be playing 20 years from now, and I've already dropped every other game in favour of it, pretty much.

EDIT: The qoute in HARD GT is right: "this is where the real game starts". Except your locker gets clogged, so the quote would be more right if it said: "this is where you grind 200 000 gold, and take forever to do it and then the real game starts, only you have 2 functional locker slots unless you clog those up too".

Your game might be better and more interesting than what you're giving it credit for ;) It's deffinitely not as hard as you think, and we are deffinitely less skilled (I am) than you assume - it's just that creating artificial difficulty worked too well concerning a few things. What we are saying - you don't need to inflate the time it takes to become a vet anymore. You can deffinitely do without time mandatory to explore content and combo's - would make even vet feedback more sensible, for one thing. The game is infinitely replayable, and what makes some parts not as enjoyable can be remedied without hurting anything else.
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby berpdreyfuss on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:03 pm

From the perspective of an intermediate player, I haven't felt the need for infinite locker space but I see that it's totally different for the people who have beaten the game multiple times and unlocked everything multiple times.
Wouldn't it be possible to grant only those people unlimited space, maybe limited to the beta phase? I can certainly see the benefit of some people being able to try everything in a short amount of time if an item is changed. They have contributed a lot to the beta testing so I think it would make sense to not let them waste time scumming.
berpdreyfuss

Postby Nandrew on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:37 pm

Nandrew

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons