[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The horse is not quite dead: Locker space and fun

The horse is not quite dead: Locker space and fun

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The horse is not quite dead: Locker space and fun

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:35 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 16 times in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby OneMoreNameless on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:37 pm

OneMoreNameless

Postby dislekcia on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:34 pm

dislekcia

Postby gjaustin on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:38 pm

gjaustin

Postby FDru on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:59 pm

FDru

Postby Bloggorus on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:38 am

I rarely play silver challenges, i find most extremely difficult.

They invariably have rules and placements that are outside the norm. As a result, an attempt on puzzles or class challenges means i spend the first run learning or relearning the rules of a challenge. Then subsequent runs i might have a chance.

So getting an item through challenges represents a lot of work for a casual player like me.

I think there's an interesting mix of purpose here. The devs have supplied class challanges as a means of getting items reliably. On the one hand, the challenges must actually be challenging so players,appreciate them. On the other, many players see them as a means to an end, and resent that challenge.

I feel that the class challenges had little net effect on the way players interact with the locker, only provided an alternative means. If anything its reinforced the idea that players should be playing the locker rather than the RNG.

The locker is in a weird middle ground between becoming the whole game and being useless. Personally, i don't use it to its full potential because of the effort involved in lockering items. Its kind of like getting a new bike and only,being allowed to ride it in the backyard, and i think the passion and frustration of players stems from this.

Boundaries are great, but restrictions are not. Does that make sense?
Bloggorus

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:50 pm

I never replayed the silver challenges, but then again I never scummed for a specific item.

One thing about the argument: "It's possible to scum for an item but no fun, so we have to get items another way". Couldn't you say the same thing about gold? You can scum a little gold profit by just picking up all the and translocate an item with the tinker and then leave. It would take a long time and would be no fun, but you could scum for gold. So, if the devs don't want you to have any item available it is not a good argument to say but is possible, but in a very boring way. Or am I missing the point?
berpdreyfuss

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:04 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:25 pm

Ok, thanks for the clarification, I think I understand the problem a little better. The way it is now, it is simply not meant to be played this way: Take any item x in no time and see what it can do. I still don't see why it couldn't be a "last" unlock at the end of the post game because there it only will be for the vets who all seem to want this feature. I don't think "normal" players will feel "locked out" like it was mentioned somewhere or the beginning of a slippery slope, but it might be the case and I guess it's for the devs to decide.
berpdreyfuss

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons