[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Did they make Shifting Passages... more difficult?

Did they make Shifting Passages... more difficult?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Did they make Shifting Passages... more difficult?

Postby FDru on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:53 am

I'm having a much harder time with it since the update. Feels like I'm getting stuck a lot more often. Could be because I haven't adjusted to the new way the walls form or something. Has anyone else noticed it being harder?

Also, the patch notes hinted at some other changes to the dungeon. What were those?
Last edited by FDru on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FDru

Re: Did they make Shifting Passages... more difficult?

Postby paplaukes on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Haven't tried it yet, but I suppose scattering the fights around the map matters now, to avoid getting trapped.
paplaukes

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:21 pm

The walls that spawn when you kill a monster will be as close as possible to the monster you killed.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:29 pm

Well, at least now we can collectively go "WTF IS THIS MADNESS!?" instead of trying to find a way around this map. It always involved exploring everything and jugglling gods and/or packing cheeze. Trying to do the bank quest without enough combo piece unlocks on the playthrough made me sit up and notice, and I complained.

That is, if the map is really too messed up, we can now notice it more easily, with the way it works. The way it was before, everyone either cheezed by knowing where the cheeze was, stumbled on a solution, or busted his brain trying to do it and when it got done was too drained to complain and glad to get on with bussiness as usual...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Jeez guys, the devs made is MUCH simpler to predict walls now.

I've had two relatively easy wins prepping a mace and stomping monsters through clusters of walls that I can choose where to form.

Cluster your monsters, kill some popcorn to form some walls in the gaps then knock them all in to each other.

Prep or find or boon yourself anything that can break walls and then crunch 'em.

People are having a very hard time with maze dungeons, I think they are underestimating the dungeon and the power of knockback.
Bloggorus

Postby FDru on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 am

I tend to get a lot of spawns that cannot be knocked into walls due to their placement (on Shifting Passages). In Labyrinth that's not an issue since the walls are already placed.

Here's the thing about Shifting Passages though. Despite the walls forming closer to the enemy you kill, they're still "random" in the sense that you don't know how the walls are going to form, and so it's still hard to plan around that. Spreading out kills seems to be the only way to avoid getting stuck. I also can't figure out how to beat it with the Gorgon now. Killing low level stuff causes resource drain due excessive use of ENDISWAL, and killing high level stuff causes death due to getting walled-in after killing an enemy with low mana.
FDru

Postby Blovski on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:54 am

^
Binlor prep should be fine.
Blovski

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 am

The change to shifting passages makes it a little harder early on and a little easier later on. In early exploration the walls are so sparse that the "closing in" effect is almost meaningless, so this change actually makes it more relevant. In later exploration the walls are closing in, and granting some semblance of player control over where they appear will actually give you better options.

As always, if you have a reliable way to destroy walls (ie, Binlor) you really don't care either way.
Darvin

Postby Blovski on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Well, just beat it with a purist Gorgon, altars as Pactmaker, GG and Dracul (not a great selection) and boss #2 as Bleaty. Was lucky to have Wonafyt and Pisorf so I created a little statuary in the middle and then blasted Bleaty through it. Cocked up my plan to use endiswal to take one hit from him and had to mid-fight ding instead. Went Consensus + Body Pact then started lining up a switch to Dracul by stoning the undead and blowing up statues to free up bloodpools. Ultimately beat Evolvia with 2 health potions and 10 piety left or so. Pisorf is a great glyph to have just because you can knock her back and bypass magic damage and curse forms.

Anyway, 'sdoable without Binlor (and without any other good Gorgon gods) with the right glyphs. Probably with Bear Mace as well.
Blovski

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons