Fighter and Monk - Gold

All things Desktop Dungeons

Fighter and Monk - Gold

Postby Naoya on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:28 pm

So, I've been clearing the class challenges lately, and I'm down to my last 2- Fighter and Monk Gold.
Those 2 are giving me one hell of a hard time - most other challenges are easy compared to them, imo .
So, has anyone any tipps for me? Please?
Naoya

Re: Fighter and Monk - Gold

Postby gjaustin on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 pm

Fighter Gold is mostly just a grind until you get a spawn that you can beat. It's basically a test to make sure you know how to use the glyphs it throws at you.

Make sure to prep the Transmutation Scroll so that you can get quick access to one of the items in the corners. I'd recommend the Sword, since you can always use ENDISWAL or PISORF later to get the others.

Try to kill the highest level monster visible whenever you can. Once you get into the later levels, consider using the Slayer Wand on it to conserve resources. You'll definitely need a mid-fight level up to beat the boss.

Finally, LEMISI is a trap. It's decent early enough, though probably not more so than 100 CP, but using it against the boss is suicide. He has Fast Regen :(
gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm

With extra regen space use LEMISI and BYCEPS to whittle the bosses regen. Be a goblin.

For monk: I don't know what tips to give you. Conserve as much regen as possible. JJ for chaos avatar, Taurog for damage, or EM for corrosion, they all work. Use BURNDAYRAZ to hurt the bosses regen (unless you have APHEELSIK--a godsend). HALPMEH is great too.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Ach Wheesht on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25 am

I beat monk gold with earthmother + lucky glyph spawns. Vine form is helpful to get off the ground, entanglement + stoning anything you cant kill for bonus XP, hope for fireball + poison glyphs. Start fighting superduper around level 6-7, poisoning and fireballing all the way. If you find superduper early enough, you'll have enough blackspace to win.
Ach Wheesht

Postby Blovski on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 am

Monk gold:

Just beat it second shot with Earthmother->Taurog. Had resources to spare. Think the taurog conversion is a generally good idea - the extra attack and phys res items are huge. Got Byceps but pretty late - was already halfway through the boss. Main difference with previous playthrough is that I really focussed down the meatmen and levelled with Imawal as I went, so got to level 7-8 by the time I hit thingummy. Also made sure I was killing equal level monsters with XP boost from Imawal if I was just going to waste the tiles anyway. I mean, it's not ideal, but monk base attack is probably not going to get high enough to do a no-resource one-shot of a 4-5 level gelatinous thing like most would.

Enjoyed it a lot - nice semi-open level, the useful gods (and Apheelsik) turned up both times I played it, no idea if that's deliberate.

I'm torn on whether a human would be a better call. Goblin's few level-ups did help buuut +30/40% damage would've been a huge help.
Blovski

Return to Desktop Dungeons