Bring on the Pretty

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Bring on the Pretty

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Abraxas wrote:Where can one find said shears?

In shops, but they're a quest item I think. They're priced more like a elite item, but the Slime Pits quest lost the vicious token I think, so quest it probably is.

They cost 30 to prep, are a small item, 28 gold, 70 CP (nice cp, ugly ratio), and what they do is you can activate them to kill a plant without being debuffed (also no spoon drops, I think). Not sure if works with EM, would probably be good if so. Oh, it has no limit on the ammount of times you can do this, except you get a "plant matter" frost root like thing stuck in your inventory (small slot). Except if you allready have a full inventory the plant matter drops to the ground and you can "shear" the entire map. I suppose they're a quest item.

Not sure where to apply them. EDIT: *first*. Apply them *first*.

EDIT: also they add 10 health. And make awesome transmutation seal fodder when done with shearing.

Is it just me, or have he god tooltips/descriptions become clearer?
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby paplaukes on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:11 pm

Initial impression only. The kingdom screen is pretty, but not functional, because the classes/preps are too scattered. I think dungeon preparation screen should be different/more compact. Only comparison I can think of - HoMM castle screen. There were a lot of separate unit buildings but you could do your hiring in one place.
paplaukes

Postby Naoya on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:35 pm

The shears seem to be the new reward for clearing the Slime pits Quest - I still have to do that one, and it displays them as reward. And I got the vicious token for free. Awesome.

The kingdom screen looks... weird. It's nice that all the buttons no longer cluster-f*** the screen, and it looks well, but that the preparations and classes are all over the screen is a bit annoying.

Edit: It still crashes on exiting a dungeon in firefox for me.
Last edited by Naoya on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Naoya

Postby Blovski on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:35 pm

New Trisword interesting. Fundamentally sort of like. The cap is maybe too steep for it to work as the prep-monster it's been for forever. Suppose my question is how it compares to Whurgarbl or Vamp Blade and things like that rather than how it compares to the old Trisword. Still, Gnome Warlords, anyone? And at least it's valuable as an in-dungeon find now.

Frankly we've probably spent too long balancing gnomelings on the old trisword being devastating. Kind of nice that they're going back to working how gnomelings work rather than being gold-chomping Orcs with benefits.

I love the look of the new interface. Currently don't like it for actual selection of stuff since there's just icons spread everywhere and it's fairly unintuitive to me. Tempted to start a second profile to see how it feels if you expand it from the start.
Blovski

Postby opholi on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 pm

This new kingdom is really cool and pretty :)
Nevertheless, there's a little bugs : Human race is not displayed
Thanks for this new update ! :D
opholi

Postby Darvin on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Frankly we've probably spent too long balancing gnomelings on the old trisword being devastating. Kind of nice that they're going back to working how gnomelings work rather than being gold-chomping Orcs with benefits.

Agreed; I suspect halflings and gnomes will probably feel very weak after this change.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 pm

Darvin wrote:

Agreed; I suspect halflings and gnomes will probably feel very weak after this change.

Depends on how heavily you were going with the old tri-sword. If someone was highly rational about it/time and so in a "nothing else makes sense compared to prepping it", then yes, they're going to feel... not so much weak as pointless. If someone had thought of a tri-sword as a lethal joke item you can't take seriously but think "I'll just cheat my way through this/that PQI run untill the devs get around to take a good look and scrape it for something sensible", then not necessarily, because:

1) The current Tri-Sword isn't a weak item at all even if it doesn't get touched up. What competition does it have, exactly?
2) Gnomes still make kickass spellcasters, including being default warlords, especially with the Cauldron
3) Halflings make kickass B2P spellcasters, decent healthmonsters and work pretty well with Alch Scroll.
4) Both make good GG and JJ worshipers, halflings make good Drac worshipers, gnomes make good Mysterea worshipers
5) Halflings make good %res stackers, priests and servicable monks, and do fine with the codex

And god knows what else, none of which got enough play due to the opportunity tax of not prepping the trisword with a halfling being so high. Unless people start avoiding them, strats will crop up ^^

The REAL question is... what happens with ROGUES?

EDIT: And on a much less bombastic, but probably more important note - does anything finally happen with the crusader's first ability, and do all the people who've been saying Dragonkin needs help finally get their pleas answered?

Very, very few class/race/item/gods things that need something to happen to them left ^^ The caption for this update was misleading - very interesting stuff.
Lujo

Postby FDru on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Darvin wrote:

I will just say that before I figured out Trisword cheese, Halflings were my least played race, Gnomes were my 2nd least played, and I only played Gnomes cause they looked cool.

On the other hand, I never even considered using potions to level spike when playing them. Now that I know that potions aren't explicitly needed to kill bosses (from using GG or Punchomancers a lot and converting all of them away) that'll probably change. With a slight adaptation in playstyle, they will probably be fine.
FDru

Postby Abraxas on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 pm

So I've been playing for a while on a new profile, got so far as getting some level 2 buildings.

One of the biggest issues I noticed is how easy it is to miss that a new building showed up on the map. Even though I knew from experience more or less when I'd be getting the blacksmith, I still went through a good few runs before realizing it was there. That cool blue glitter effect that's used in the tutorials is used to point at the tavern when the tutorials are done with, I'd maybe use that every time a new building shows up.

Speaking of the Blacksmith, it's awfully indistinct from the neighborhood. It feels not so great that the blacksmith, a building I might actually want to click every now and then, is completely surrounded by a place with no reason to click. The same thing happens to a lesser degree with the dwarves' place and the tavern, and I've misclicked it more than just a few times.

But perhaps the biggest issue right now is that there is no way to visualize the buildings by logical groupings. Every and now and then, I wanted to go through the class buildings to remind myself of how much I had upgraded them and to check if there were new challenges available, and it's actually quite a bit of a mental exercise to remember where each of them is. At the very least upgradable buildings should stand out, else it's very easy to forget about them.

All in all, it is very pretty, but it still has a ways to go functionality and things-standing-out wise. As it is right now, playing through the game from a clean profile does little to make things less confusing, and even when you know where things are, the lack of logical groupings makes things quite inconvenient to access.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby Darvin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 am

Depends on how heavily you were going with the old tri-sword.

For halflings I always used it; never any other prep. For gnomes, unless I was running a BURNDAYRAZ approach I brought it along. No arguments that this was a problem, but the trisword was a built-in assumption to halfling/gnome balance up until now.

The current Tri-Sword isn't a weak item at all even if it doesn't get touched up. What competition does it have, exactly?

Oh, I agree this isn't a bad item. It's certainly an order of magnitude weaker than the old trisword, but that's not saying too much. My impression is that it's around the same level as whurrgarbl now. Should be a great shop item without the additional gold cost, though.

However, I think the fine sword is the better of the two now. Trisword will be better for spiking, but the Fine Sword will have better long-term performance.

2) Gnomes still make kickass spellcasters, including being default warlords, especially with the Cauldron

Going to definitely have to test the gnomish warlord to see where it's power falls. It remains to be seen how much damage this did to him, and whether other kinds of warlords have caught up or surpassed him.

3) Halflings make kickass B2P spellcasters, decent healthmonsters and work pretty well with Alch Scroll.

Well, for Bloodmages I'd prefer the gnome, and you can't guarantee B2P with anyone else. As for healthmonsters, you need a way to boost your damage output, so I'll always prefer the human.

5) Halflings make good %res stackers, priests and servicable monks, and do fine with the codex

I'd always take the human for a resist-stacker. Totally agree on the priest; he'll always be a halfling-lover. I completely disagree on monks; without a reliable way to boost base attack I can't really imagine playing halfling monk anymore. Agree on the codex.

The REAL question is... what happens with ROGUES?

Not really worried; they'll be less insane, but there's a lot of room for rogues to be toned down before I'd be concerned about making them underpowered.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons