[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Poison and Manaregen

Poison and Manaregen

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Poison and Manaregen

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:14 pm

The problem with the above is the phrase "late game item". All items should be valuable in as many situations as possible, as you can't pick and choose your items.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:18 pm

Darvin

Postby Leotamer on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:44 pm

To be honest, the reason I am doing this is more so food for thought then I want the item. I see why are making heavy criticism but at the same time remember that I am not throwing out concepts not necessarily suggestions. Right now I am out of ideas though.
Leotamer

Postby dislekcia on Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 am

Mana is actually a very tricky thing to mess with in DD. It's taken us quite a while to find a way to make things that give extra mana resources without completely breaking game balance. The old Crystal Ball would be devastating to the way the beta works at the moment.
dislekcia

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Nah, elves do fine relative to gnomes, they just require more planning. The Acid Caster is a build that revolves around getting a 20-25 mana pool right out of the gate and then using that leverage to gain a level every fight. The result is that you get 10-15 extra mana over baseline "for free," every level. A gnome can't keep up with that kind of massive resource gain. The gnome is better at mitigating mana burn and for saving up his resources for one massive endgame spike, but a well-played elf will have more resources overall. The exception is the dreaded JJ Gnome, which gets the best of both worlds and is tremendous fun to play if you can pull it off.
Sidestepper

Postby Leotamer on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Well, the only other thing I could think about is an item that drains mana but increases mana regen. Their is several ways I could think it could work
1- Subtract X mana, but increase mana regen by 1
2- Same as one, but last for one turn.
3- The item subtracts mana, but gives you bonus regen.

BTW, I never unlocked the crystal orb in the aphla, what did it do?
Leotamer

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 pm

It gave you +1 (or doubled, not sure in combination with old B2P) your mana regen.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Nandrew on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:17 am

I occasionally wonder what would have happened if we'd given players 100 starting mana and adjusted all the other systems to cater for that. It would definitely help with extending the item design in the way proposed. :P Though such a big change ...
Nandrew

Postby Darvin on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

Darvin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons