Thief Gold

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Thief Gold

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 am

Then I guess no video from me. Anyways, I never use IMAWALL. It's a bad habit, especially considering you can destroy the statues with ENDISWALL. Still, I think you're right that it makes marginal difference and is, by extension, not necessary.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby booooooze on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:29 am

Bad habit? Please explain...
booooooze

Postby FDru on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 am

Not using IMAWAL is a bad habit.
FDru

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 am

IMIAWAL is difinitely not marginal, just hard to remember to use. Everything else has immediate effect you can leverage for a kill straight away.

IMAWAL and to a lesser extent ENDISWAL need a little more long term planning to use effectively, and the benefits are hard to see unless you look at the big picture. They don't make individual fights easier, they make every subsequent fight easier.

I couldnt figure out theif gold becasue I was so used to chasing higher level targets. As soon as I relaxed and let IMAWAL and balanced dagger take care of it for me it was a breeze.

I kind of feel that this could be a viable way to build a dungeon; super easy boss but super hard monsters. It becomes all about eking out levels and kills where you can, not cutting the most efficient way to the boss so you can spike them to death.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:54 pm

The problem is rogues can get cheap level 1 kills.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:06 pm

Meh, let them. they are only one class of twelve.

Variety is the spice of life.

edit: it;s kind of like how so many people stumble over the maze levels when they reach them because they are so different than whats come before.

Not only do they teach a valuable lesson, when you do figure them out they are a refreshing change of pace.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Very true. I suppose there really isn't any way to balance it for every class.

The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:32 pm

And probably why the dev's got so sick of Lujo.

I'm a big fan of 'sideways' design as opposed to superseding content with newer, harder content.

I'll take ten different Normal dungeons to play with over three or four Hard ones any day. There are so many good dungeon design ideas in the challanges, It's of like the devs had all these extra dungeons on the cutting room floor. Hopefully they see release as regular dungeons some day.
Bloggorus

Postby Naoya on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:03 am

Rogues can almost do everything. I always found it funny how dodge gets better the more hits you can take.

Hm, I doubt we'll see much new content - though a few more dungeons would be definitely awesome.
Come to think of, it's a shame that the monster & Explorer's Guild classes don't have challenges.
You don't really get chances to get familar with them, and custom-tailored challenges would be a nice opportunitiy to do so. I'd totally love a crusader challenge where you'd need to get Momentum as high as possible so you can slay the boss in one hit. Or a Gorgon challenge where you need 100% Deathgaze...

Also, I always wondered how transmuters work. Never had a reason to play them, never figured them out either.
Naoya

Postby The Avatar on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:14 am

Agreed. You really don't get used to the class, but I suggested this before to no avail.

Fingers crossed for modding and DLC.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons