[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Damage Control

Damage Control

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Damage Control

Postby Lujo on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:34 pm

Oh, and the new poison vs. magic resistance interaction is also something that's been mentioned plenty of times, I'm quite glad to see it happen.

I'm wondering though - was making magic resistance not prevent utility glyphs ever considered? Would golems and goats be lacklustre if you could use wheytwut, imawal and wonnafyt on them reliably?

(as a joke, immagine them causing cydstepp to fail at random :D)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Agreed. I'd rather make it cost +X% mana than make it possible to fail. The less random, the better.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:44 pm

I'd agree with that sentiment. Most of the debuff glyphs just aren't powerful enough to merit a failure chance, and restricting that to magic damage and the relative effectiveness of magical poison seems a lot more sensible. If WEYTWUT were this superpowered awesome glyph then it would be one thing, but right now it's the little brother of the GETINDARE glyph for combat purposes.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:59 am

On top of that, GETINDARE can't fail. I can't really see a good reason to make them fail at all. It's not changing combat, and do you really need to waste someones 5 mp on a failed IMAWALL?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:14 am

It's also a bit tragicomical how it hoses my berserkers harder than my spellcasters.

And it is changing combat - first strike is a free hit. It's just that it randomly changes combat, and if you're using wheytwut for the last hit you need to pay 8 mana and account for any accidental exploration you may cause, and have a fail chance, while at the same time getindare does it's job for 3 mana, no exploration and no fail chance. And if you're using wonnafyt you need to cast a bunch of them before you can cast the relevant one, and it has a random miss chance.

Also, getting stuck with magic resist monsters blocking your corridors can be really annoying and makes wheytwut strictly inferior to endiswall of all things, especially in cramped maps where you don't want you 8 mana investment randomly failing. Sure, you can wheytwut somethign else, but, again, if you found endiswall instead of wheytwut, you'd be free to explore anywhere... And investing in a wheytwut on something else to run into a magic resistant guy several steps into the corridor is a bit deathtrapy, and has on occasions happened :D

Anyway, maybe there are important reasons behind it all, who knows, but the random IMAWAL fails (or multiple ones) are very silly. You can avoid them, sure, but then, why have to? :D
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby FDru on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 am

The most irritating thing to me, is trying to teleport golems who seem to resist more like 80% of the time. You might say "confirmation bias" but I can say "8 resists in a row on at least 40 occasions" and it is simply beyond the realm of statistical likelyhood for that to happen more than once in a blue moon.
FDru

Postby Darvin on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:40 pm

I've seen some pretty obscene "runs" before. My original Dragon Isles win ages ago involved 10 consecutive dodges with a rogue (20%, no dodge chance boost). Still, confirmation bias can be pretty bad when you play a game enough; even unlikely things can happen if given enough chances. At a certain point, the unlikely becomes likely.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:05 am

I just had an idea. What if bet on boss also affected the sell value (the in-game sell value) of the trophy, for an extra 20 gold on the prep cost.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:21 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:22 am

Hmm... Good point. Then again if it was only the first trophy, it would always work.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons