[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - So I took the Transmuter to VGT...

So I took the Transmuter to VGT...

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: So I took the Transmuter to VGT...

Postby The Avatar on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Hmm... I don't think it would be too static if you assigned a curse to each floor. The floors would still hit you in random order, with random bosses, and you could make it make sense. Ravage to Taurogs floor. Counter: Fireball to MA's floor. First Strike to TT. Curses to GG. Full reveal to JJ. Bloodless to Drac. Nothing to Pactmaker. Hmm... I don't remember the other curses, but one of them to EM and the other to Binlor.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:50 pm

The problem is usually not with the god/curse pairing (Binlor + revelation being an exception), but with the height of the floor. Curses that badly hamper your character can be a game over if they happen on the last two floors. It would be nice if we got the ability to veto one curse right before it hits, but that would require some funky interface changes.

Also, I think that people are overstating the importance of GETINDERE. I'm not saying it's anything but top tier, but my two most recent victories were done by prepping the Really Big Sword.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:32 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:45 pm

Hmm... It depends. The reason GETINDARE is so good is its worth is based on the amount of monsters in the area. If the damage from a monster would require you to regen 7 tiles, using GETINDARE saves 4 tiles. The more times this happens, the more it adds up. Now lets consider the RBS. It's worth is based on the amount of physical damage monsters. If the RBS saves you one extra hit against the earlier monster, it saves you all seven tiles. So basically, RBS pays off more with physical resist guys (and HUGELY against Horratio), while GETINDARE has a constant payout that is a little smaller.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 pm

The RBS is especially good with the Vampire. Life Steal is capped by the damage actually dealt. With a high conversion Vampire, you are getting only half of the health back from a Goo Blob as you would some other monster. The sword makes it possible to use Goo Blobs as average-ish blood cattle, and dramatically improves your efficiency against non-cattle Goo Blobs by both decreasing the net loss per hit AND the number of hits needed.

With the Monk, his damage is low enough that I preferred the consistency of guaranteed resistance piercing over one free and strictly mediocre hit.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:39 pm

For monk, RBS is in direct competition with the badge. I just took a Packrog monk into VGT and cleaned up. Ending with 75% resist both and 80+ damage makes you unstoppable as a monk.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Ideally you'll find BYSSEPS, which is just plain awesome for a Monk on VGT. Pierce resistances and boost your attack bonus at the same time.
Darvin

Postby Ach Wheesht on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Ach Wheesht

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:31 am

Gratz on the first win!

GETINDARE + Bloodsteal is really, really good, cant be stated enough.

Here's also something to consider for theorycrafting:

It was a complete breeze. Straight up GG + Pactmaker, no boons from GG except cleansing and enlightment, and maybe one protection somewhere. No absolution, and obviously no Drac at any point, and I regen fought horatio with HALPMEH after mistakenly converting Martyr Wraps on the 10th or so stack.

Big thing was CYDSTEP. Yes, the one you can't make an effective strat around. I only converted it at the boss fight. Dodge + perma first strike + high resists + low total health + halpmeh + cydstep. Obviously, the rogue has a built in GETINDARE, and if you dodge somthing you probably kill it for 0 resources, so I reached the end with an unreal ammount of exploration, popcorn, potions and obviously dracul untouched.

No byceps, piercing wand, soul orb, viper ward, or sanguine. Or patches, I think. Didn't even need martyr wraps, I think. And no taking poison off with health and mana potions, obviously, just cleansing and lvl-ups.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:46 am

Already got it. Rogue is probably one of the easier wins in VGT. It's only harder than vamp.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons