Finished all gold class challenges!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Finished all gold class challenges!

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Not much to say on Monk. Just regen fight a lot. You probably need to find HALPMEH or APHEELSIK, but I did it once without either.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:57 pm

I did Monk gold with Taurog + BYSEPS. Buy all of Taurog's gear (yes, even the helmet) but do not spend piety on Unchained Fury. You'll want the leftover piety to pay for the enormous number of BYSEPS castings you'll be making.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:08 pm

Yeah. Just anything and everything to help regen fighting. BURNDAYRAZ works too.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Ottbot on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:22 pm

I finally finished all the gold challenges, too... They were definitely challenging! Monk took me a few tries, as did Paladin (eroding the boss's resistances did the job, here). Assassin gave me trouble until I switched up my tactics... used Weytwut to prevent the boss blinking, and relied on poison to outlast him. The most recent change to poison mechanics helped me on a couple of the challenges.

The Vicious dungeons still mock me...
Ottbot

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:04 pm

That's strange. I often find Vicious easier than gold. Probably because I know vicious dungeons like the back of my hand. I've just always considered Gold Challenges harder.

The Avatar

Postby sitnaltax on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm

I also thought the Gold challenges were tougher than a well-prepped, well-class-matched Vicious dungeon.

If I were tackling the Vicious dungeons for the first time, my first run would be to take an Orc Berserker into Dragon Isles. (Prepare a Fine Sword and Transmutation Seal, which lets you take an important shortcut once the top is clear.) That's a strong match, but it starts getting you used to the very tough low-level monsters that I think are the hardest part of Vicious. It also gets you the powerful Dragon Shield.
sitnaltax

Postby The Avatar on Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:46 pm

Agreed. One extra addition is the slayer wand to kill another guard so you only have to fight one guard. Straight Taurog, Straight GG, or some mix of the two (with maybe Binlor thrown in) is your best bet.

The Avatar

Postby Naoya on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:06 pm

It really comes down to your setup. Vicious dungeons allow you to prep what you want, choose your deity together with race and class, and get anything in the shops.
You can try multiple things, and exploit all kinds of synergys and weaknesses. Fail one? Try another.

Example: Dragon Isles. Definitely notot easy, and imo harder than most golds - but Berserker is especially effective on this map. Its also entirely possible to luck out and get Taurog, Pactmaker, and Dracul altogether on top of being a berserker. At this point, the dungeon turns into a fun little romp, easier than some silvers even.

Now, gold challenges are mostly about figuring out their trick, and what they give you is usually rather limited. They are mostly custom tailored to be doable, but not stompable. You don't get such wtf-syngerys nor do you get the same amount of deitys, shops, or items most of the time. You also can't prep for stuff like the dragonguard or the Indomitable. They are just plain hard.
Sometimes I wish Monk gold would give us shops. What would I give for martyr wraps... or a Whurrgarbl.

To put it short, I think vicious gets easier the more experience you have. Golds are rather fixed; you don't profit as much from your overall experience as you do in other dungeons.
Naoya

Postby booooooze on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Agreed with what others have said. Finally did monk; I couldn't make it work without Taurog, despite many attempts. The additional resists + attack bonus make a pretty huge difference over the course of 2000+ hp.
booooooze

Postby Blovski on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:00 pm

General DI tip: prepping quest items gives you a really solid chance of getting Soul Orb or Venom Ward, which is always a good thing vs. those guards.
Blovski

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons