[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - You know you're succesful when...

You know you're succesful when...

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: You know you're succesful when...

Postby Lujo on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:46 pm

I think I saw two more DD-like games in places like kongregate/armor/onemorelevel. It's probably a good thing as they are really "light" variations which only make DD seem better and more complex while putting the "genre" on the map. It highlights just how good DD is and how much effort went into making it (and well polising, testing and all that)...

And sure you can maliciously design a game - think of all the pure-skinnerbox browser stuff out there. You can also do it unintentionaly, but I'm not going there...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Ottbot on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Ottbot

Postby dislekcia on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 am

I dunno about kicking off anything, but people have pointed to DD as being one of the core "roguelike-likes" at the beginning of that naming trend. So maybe we'll see a lot more of those ;)

Personally, I really like seeing other people's takes on the rapid rogue-ing. Mostly because I don't have tons of time to play things anymore anyway, but also it helps me think about things better as a designer: Maybe someone else saw an option that I completely missed due to prior assumptions, etc.
dislekcia

Postby Kuranes on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 am

Ooh! And here is another one:

http://www.dungeonfray.com/p/dungeon-fray.html

"Originally when I started coding the game, I wanted it to be a little casual where there is no FoW and monster's don't move at all (like chess, and similar to Desktop Dungeons), making it more like a puzzle/roguelike hybrid."

:D
"Which farm animal is featured prominently in Desktop Dungeons?" "Snakes"
Kuranes

Postby Nandrew on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:51 am

Still gotta finish this download and try it, but interesting reading about it so far. What strikes me as most intriguing is the fact that he started with a DD-inspired base (like you quoted) but appears to have actually added classic roguelike monster movement and FoW since then. Wondering what sort of game system evolves from that.

I'm surprised that the dev is charging for this, though: I'm not 100% sure about the legalities, but he's definitely using a free sprite set (actually the same that DCSS uses) and I dunno how that interacts with selling stuff for teh_moniez.
Nandrew

Postby Galefury on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:46 pm

If you're referring to RLTiles, those are public domain, and anyone can use them in any way they want. See http://rltiles.sourceforge.net/

Many of DCSS's tiles (mostly ones that were recently added or changed) are not part of RLTiles, and their licensing is not really clear. But some of the artists have informally expressed that they consider their DCSS tiles public domain. That is not an actual license of course, but it seems unlikely that legal issues would arise from the use of those tiles.

It could of course be considered unprofessional or improper to use freeware sprites in a game that is not free, but in the case of RLTiles it's definitely legal.
Galefury

Postby Darvin on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Darvin

Postby Galefury on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:07 pm

I'm sure they're not going to sue anyone. :P

Also, the way it is worded, they *ask* for credit, but don't strictly demand it. I don't know what "please" means in lawyer-speak, though.
Galefury

Postby Darvin on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Darvin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons