[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Gardening Shears

Gardening Shears

All things Desktop Dungeons

Gardening Shears

Postby sitnaltax on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:08 am

I promised myself I'd give the Gardening Shears a try before I knocked them.

But over dozens of games, I've never had even the slightest urge to buy them. They're only useful in a small fraction of dungeons; they cost about as much as two normal items and provide a benefit that's marginal even if you find it early on a map like Ick or (maybe) Rock Garden.

Am I missing something? I don't have anything vetoed currently, because I like to have weird options available, but so much of the time the Shears are just a dead shop.

P.S. Dragon Soul is my favorite prep ever since it changed to its current behavior. So much fun.
sitnaltax

Re: Gardening Shears

Postby Ottbot on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:34 am

I'm not a big fan, either... I guess I haven't found the plants that much of a burden.
Ottbot

Postby The Avatar on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:36 am

Not that good, but not bad either for a small slot, mediocre effect and good conversion points. It might be a little overpriced, though.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:14 am

Only redeeming feature is its high CP. I totally agree that cost-wise I've yet to run into a scenario where it's actually worth shelling out that much gold for their effect.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:08 pm

I think they were ment to be an item to keep lockered and prep along with a transmutation seal. It was really good in that capacity back when it gave 10 health (which is probably why it got lowered to 5). I don't have it lockered anymore (and I probably never will for off limits reasons) but if I had a locker slot to spare I'd prep it here and there wit no problems...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:37 am

Interesting prep for tricky classes on Ick (ideally w. JJ prep so you have to keep preps out), otherwise pretty niche. Maybe in old DL where Avatar spawned plants it could've been an interesting buy. Does it affect Vegan Vampire subdungeon plants, out of interest, and how?

Might actually work pretty well with the EM Paladin, whose main problem is blockage rather than piety loss.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 am

Lujo

Postby Blovski on Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 am

Well, it's basically just an inventoryless basic item-and-a-half or so effect in exchange for a bit of reading, right, and some GG/JJ piety? unless it's changed?
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:42 pm

It's not a bit of reading - it's quite a bit of reading unless you write it all down somewhere, and then it's a bit of puzzling to figure out what combos are available at all, and when you get down to it it takes more effort than any other subdungeon and severan easier dungeon runs (for the vets).

Kill a plant, read, kill a plant, read... You could call me impatient, but it's a effort/reward thing, and as we all know I'm big on paying for things with RL time. It's a really bad subdungeon in that regard compared to just about any other one...

If there was a way to have the combo's displayed without having to click on the parchment it would be much more user friendly.
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:03 am

Just to revive a thread, I finally got the gardening shears and man, what a disappointment.

Marginal effects and and extremely limited window of use. On the rare occasion that using them on a plant is not worth the status effects, their use is effectively limited to the four or five slots you are willing to give up.

The inventory thing is the most insulting: GG is based around inventory management, but at least those clogged spaces DO something.

Unlocking this item literally cost me the ten thousand gold cost of a veto slot. I want to go back to before i had it clogging up my beautiful kingdom.

edit: just so this can be called constructive criticism, i suggest adding some kind of benefit to all those useless leaves.

Something unusual like 5% knockback per leaf would be nice, because (a knockback gets no love and (B those leaves are HEAVY

or the converse to GG's prayer beads: 1% resistance/ 1 DR per two levels for each leaf in the inventory.
Bloggorus

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons