Gardening Shears

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Gardening Shears

Postby Lujo on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:03 am

Bloggorus wrote:Something unusual like 5% knockback per leaf would be nice, because (a knockback gets no love and (B those leaves are HEAVY

or the converse to GG's prayer beads: 1% resistance/ 1 DR per two levels for each leaf in the inventory.

Not to bash on the idea of touching the sheers up (nandrew said something about the way the item is being a test phase), but both propositions are issue...ous. Knocback is hella powerfull, and res stacking would make it a situational dragonshield and add one more reliable res stacking mechanism for certain maps (or anywhere with EM). Whether this is a good thing - I don't know, but all the things that appeal to me come in my own "bored veteran" voice.

I don't feel like being a devils advocate (again), but what exactly is the problem with the sheers? (I suppose there are ones). Is there really a better "balanced" alternatve for prepping for early health and transmuting?

My own misgiving is that it's pretty useless as a shop item, but trying to locker it leads to the locker bussiness conundrum and huge dissatisfactionTM.
Lujo

Postby Waldo0 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:56 pm

It was actually not bad when it was released(expensive but small, health +10 and highconversion CP!!), but It was nerfed to +5health.

After the nerf, GTFO, it will be just allowed to get out of my veto in fabulous treasure runs or in some tricky plants maps(huge spike or corrosion plants), but I think there is no such tricky plants maps in DD yet.
(Thinker might handle this weapon but still not enough.)

This item is also not enough in my prep, there are many much better items which are ready to be used.
*F+Click* "WTF? Oh.. the monster had a 'Retaliate: Fireball'...." -2012 Waldo0
"I cleared this game!!!" -2013 Waldo0
Waldo0

Postby Darvin on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:32 am

I don't feel like being a devils advocate (again), but what exactly is the problem with the sheers? (I suppose there are ones).

1) Using them to actually "trim" is almost never useful, since few levels naturally have plants and it's very easy to garden before level-up. And that's before we even consider that the item actually has a penalty when activated.

2) The HP bonus is quite small

3) The cost is outrageous

The item's sole redeeming purpose is its high CP value.
Darvin

Postby Naoya on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 pm

I always thought it would be cool if EM wouldn't punish you for clearing plants with this, since youre properly gardening and stuff. That would've made her more useable on cramped maps. But now we have the titar guitan, so it's a moot point.

I guess if the triming would take less piety, and the plant matter would give you some small bonus, than it would be probably an interesting choice for EM-users.
Naoya

Postby Darvin on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Naoya wrote:I guess if the triming would take less piety, and the plant matter would give you some small bonus, than it would be probably an interesting choice for EM-users.

If the plant matter actually did something useful then it would definitely be a different story, but this would still be an item that require Earthmother or a very specific dungeon to function. Plants are just not widespread enough for such an item to be in the general shop pool (we have a total of four dungeons with plant presence, one of which only has them come into play once the boss fight starts)
Darvin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons