Arise From Death

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Arise From Death

Postby Bloggorus on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 am

I use it all the time Lujo. it adds up to a 10 percent damage bonus in most cases, and is absolutely dynamite in dungeons with heaps of incidental items like spoons and pendants.

Also, try using it with wizard. Amazing.

The pacts aren't meant to synergies with anything really, just provide another way of eking out stats and strats from piety you might not use. You are looking for purpose in a mechanic that has little.
Bloggorus

Postby Lujo on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:29 am

Wizard did leap to mind, and so did the "drop" dungeons, but I know what I'd be using it for if it didn't compare badly to other stuff I could be doing with piety. Spirit Pact is really good in theory, but would obviously break something with more favourable rates - and the question is - what?

(Oh, and the pacts DO synergize with stuff - %res pact and the XP on potion pact do very well.).
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby sitnaltax on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:28 am

Just finished the three Crusader dungeons.

Making Crusader challenges would seem to be tough, because the class only has one feature (Momentum) that's not passive. I didn't like the way the Gold challenge played with Momentum; it was confusing. I think I'd rather see the player start with a stack of potions or something that give a large one-shot base damage bonus, one for each monster that needs to be killed, to make it clear that you need a big momentum stack for each one. I did enjoy the way the challenge forces you to Goblin, which interacts in an thought-required way with the momentum stack. I took Scholar's Pact for silver and I think gold too, which was fine I guess but I didn't even go through all of my potions in either one. To echo the sentiment that's already been expressed, the gold challenge is very easy for a gold.
sitnaltax

Postby The Avatar on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:45 am

Are you sure gold challenges are supposed to be vicious level? Fighter is easier (they nerfed it), berserker is easier, warlord is borderline, theif is easier, rogue is borderline, assassin is easier, priest is easier, monk is borderline, paladin is borderline, wizard is easier, sorcerer is easier, and bloodmage is borderline. That's 7 out of 12 classes. It also seems that the harder ones are third tier (with the exception of assassin). Most of them are tricky, and fit in between vicious and hard. Heck, some are practically easier than hard.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby sitnaltax on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:38 pm

I thought the other gold challenge difficulties were about on par with a well-matched, well-prepped Vicious dungeon, yeah. Not exact but close. I expect to be able to complete any Hard PQI on the first try unless it's Warmonger or an awful match (or I forget and break Miser/Faithless/Parched/Hoarder). Most of the gold challenges took me several, with quite a few down-to-the-wire squeak wins. Possibly it's because I'm not familiar with those layouts and monster loads.
sitnaltax

Postby The Avatar on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Most of them just have simple tricks. The ones I marked borderline are the only ones without tricks (by tricks I mean things that take it from ridiculous to not that bad).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Err, there's been talk about the B2P puzzle. I never managed to crack it, even when it was somehow doable. I can't crack it now, either. What's up with it?

How did it use to work, and what changed exactly?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm not sure exactly how it changed (I beat it when it was beatable, but cannot remember exactly how). I believe some of the monsters were changed around, and one tile went from unexplored to revealed.

If it is beatable in its current state, it's a very obscure solution. As far as I can tell there are insufficient resources to either level-up catapult or regen-fight the boss.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:55 pm

I agree.

The only change was making the dragon immune to magic, I'm pretty sure.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:11 am

That would make sense. With 10 HP, he could be killed with two fireballs (rather than the three required to kill the goo blob). This would save you a full fireball on your level-up and give you plenty of resources to kill the wraith.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons