[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - All you're doing is making the game harder...

All you're doing is making the game harder...

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: All you're doing is making the game harder...

Postby Nandrew on Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 pm

Nandrew

Postby Carl on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:17 pm

Carl

Postby PeaceChaser on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:22 pm

Sweet! I play LoL too, US servers. "PeaceChaser".

I'm also impressed at the community. There truly isn't any reason not to get along but, as you said, this is the internet. Reason and logic doesn't always apply here.
PeaceChaser

Postby zoombini on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:21 pm

zoombini

Postby HenryVIIII on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:43 pm

HenryVIIII

Postby pakoito on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:08 pm

I could go and make a whole dissertation about the culture of lack of effort and how this stuff is just making people want to get more for less, numbing society and gifting lack of thinking in real life so we can be easily manipulated by "The Man".

Or I could talk about why do "my" games have to be reduced so people can enjoy a watered-down version meanwhile "your" games do not make any effort to step up the difficulty and skill cap so everyone else can enjoy the experience, because "my" people like hard games who pose a mental challenge so we can escape the daily stupid mental routines. I.E. Rubik's Cube had 6 colors, not 3 so everyone can enjoy the experience.

But this is not the place, the game is supposed to be difficult from tier to tier and the devs know it.
pakoito

Postby zeemeerman2 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Can't you just have an option of both difficulties? E.g. a normal difficulty (the one now) and when failed a dungeon often, add the option to temporary lower the difficulty for that single dungeon; easy mode if you want to call it that, until they finish the dungeon, and then ramp it up again?

Other games do such things too.
New Super Mario Bros. Wii has the Super Guide -- if players die eight times in a row, they get the option to let the game autoplays until you want to take over.
RuneScape has an certain jump in a certain swampy area -- if players fail to succeed the jump (based on chance), their success rate will slightly increase. This effects stacks after multiple times are failed. This statistic is hidden from the player.
Pushover (domino puzzle/platform game on SNES and DOS) has timed levels -- If a player succeeds a level within the time, he or she get a token. They can use that token to use in a hard level when the timer reaches 0, to still finish the level instead of having to start over.
There are other games too, but I can't seem to remember them at the moment.
zeemeerman2

Postby pakoito on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Devil May Cry 4 also did it but again...what's the point? the game is its difficulty, there's no story, no perks or advance for the sake of advancing. If you get easymode in a dungeon the next one, that is more difficult, is going to be impossible too.

You need to learn how to play better and improve, it is unavoidable. The preparations stuff already made the game easier, where in alpha you had to wish for a perfect dungeon layout (shop+gods+lvl1mobs+spell), it is more forgiving here knowing you can start with fireball, knowing where the boss/gods/spells are, a -2 damage item and 20 more tiles (and lvl1 and runes!) in your thieves' den. Plus you don't need specific class/race combinations for unlocks.
pakoito

Postby Carl on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Carl

Postby pakoito on Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 pm

pakoito

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons