Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Postby Lujo on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:24 am

One of Avatar's tips you might want to remember for later when you start figuring the Transmuter out - an early LEMISI let's you sacrifice a relatively small bit of exploration for valuable information. If you know where all the glyphs and gods are (or at least most of them), and if you happen to find out where and who the boss is, you can make a decent plan and make up for lost exploration by exploring efficently.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:44 pm

No to toot my own horn or anything I know most people on this forum would have had very easy time with it, but I am very happy with todays run :)
it should be up in a few minutes
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 pm

Yes, nice run, the Avatar will have something to make it even better still.

The new recording audio is fine. It feels like your computer is lacking a little bit less with it but it seems that the resolution is lower on the highest setting.
berpdreyfuss

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:25 pm

Indeed I have switched from 1080p to 720 :/ Honestly I can't tell the difference, but I suppose someone with a truly huge monitor could.

As for the cpu issues it is a bit less straining than using fraps was, however I will be upgrading my entire system this fall most likely so there will no longer be any slowdown then.

Yes there were mistakes made on that run so avatar will have loads of input, but for someone using a new god + a strange item I've never used before + on a brand new dungeon with strange mechanics. I felt good about it :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby berpdreyfuss on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 am

Yes, indeed. I still don't feel comfortable with JJ or patches. So well done :)

The resolution is not that big a deal, it's just with DD I like to watch the highest possible because there are a lot of details to see. And if it's giving you less slowdown, that's more important.
berpdreyfuss

Postby Darvin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Ah, so you've finally been introduced to JJ. He's a weird and wonderful but flawed deity; one of the few things I wish the devs would revisit game-balance over.

His randomness isn't actually a big deal, because in the long-run it more-or-less averages out. In practice, JJ is actually one of the more reliable deities since he never deducts piety under any circumstances and his piety generation is very consistent. What's most likely to screw you over is that his piety generation is essentially tied to exploration. This means he's obscenely powerful if you discover him early when the map is unexplored, as he will shower you with piety to purchase his many powerful boons. However, he's not even worth consideration if you find him late when the dungeon is mostly explored. Chaos Avatar is his only good late-game boon, but you'll never be able to afford it if you join him late (and you take a massive risk if you don't also have petition; mana burn and health drain are annoying if you get hit by them during early exploration, but game-ending if they happen during a late-game boss fight).

Patches is... another matter entirely. The thing is, his effects are always short-term pain for long-term gain, so if you can take his punishment he's really awesome. Of course, that's if you can survive his punishment...
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:15 am

My surprisingly extended vacation has left me with considerable catch up, so here goes!

Part 38: The bloodmage is an incredible class, but that witch upgrade is better. Nice choice! Complicated tasks pt 4 is rather easy if you can beat rock garden, which is itself very easy compared to other hard dungeons. Dang. You should do complicated tasks part 4. Never mind! Good job making the hard choice. At worst you fail miserably and see what makes this dungeon special, at best you win! Rogue is a great class for rock garden. The key is coupling him with a good god choice, in this case GG. Seriously, I recommend prepping gods. At the very least GG and Taurog are relatively safe preps. The strength potion is great for early leveling, and schadenfreude is great for spellcasters and rogues. Patches is interesting, but very dangerous. I tend to stick with black market or bet on boss. Popcornbowl away! Tower shield sucks for rogues. Resistance combos with HIGH HP, and therefore sucks with the rogue. WONAFYT is not eternally useful, just through level 4 or 5 (depending on your damage when you fight the boss). JJ! This is a hilarious intro. That sucks, right? Ironically, JJ (Jehora Jeheyu) is not chaotic in the slightest once you get petition. He is also a very flawed deity, relying heavily on exploration space and being useless without it. READ THE MONSTER PANELS! It says blink! He's not crazy, just get petition. Petition is the core of JJ, and should always be the first boon taken. Then just use his boosts and save chaos avatar or convert out for the boss. Pronounced: Jeh-ho-ra Jeh-heh-you. Same screen only means it doesn't work on guys in subdungeon, a very important detail in vicious. Use that strength potions for a great early kill. Please! GETINDARE is not very good for the rogue. You already have first strike. NO! THAT WONAFYT WAS GREAT! You already have first strike, and the dodge isn't that great. JJ gives piety on everything basically. You are set up to smack this dungeon as long as you don't act stupidly. It is great to sacrifice your potions to JJ as a rogue. It is mediocre as others, just balance it so you have a couple extra power health potions. You just got poisoned by patches. That sucks. Fortunately as a rogue it doesn't matter much. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS clear out all poison and mana burn plants before you level. That is KEY! You should use your strength potion to score that level 5 with BURNDAYRAZ and first strike. That or a health boost. Always kill the low level popcorn when clearing a passage. YOU HAVE A FIREBALL GLYPH! USE IT! At least you realized GETINDARE sucks. IF YOU PREP FIREBALL REMEMBER FIREBALL! ARGH! That was a good kill. At least boost health and kill it. Boost health. Yes! That's great. You should take as many boost healths as possible as a monster. Every time you level, two walls turn into same level golems. You don't have to be able to take a hit to kill a monster (see level 3 wraith), as long as you can fireball then first strike. Corrosive things leave a corrosive pool. Patches lists the last effects at the bottom of his description. I'd convert GETINDARE. You're not using. Look up patches on the wiki. It would take too long to explain here. Convert GETINDARE and kill that level 7. DON'T USE THAT POTION! NONONONO! Argh. You need every mana potion you can get and that GETINDARE is not worth it. What a waste. YOU HAVE FIRST FREAKING STRIKE! YOU COULD HAVE KILLED THAT BLOB! That yellow stuff will corrode you. Look a the enemy panel. It is magic immune. You really need to look at the panel. You shouldn't have killed all those same level guys. You can have TONS of spoons. WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING?! You are going on a pointless popcorn rampage and it is ALL WASTED EXP! You will never one shot a boss as anything but an orc crusader. This dungeon helps you immensely. Tons of spoons, two fodder bosses, and extra popcorn. That's help in my book. Seriously, just look at the dungeon panel. You want to see the boss. Stick with JJ. Chaos avatar will lower the physical boss's resistance. ARGH! WHY MUST YOU WASTE SO MUCH POPCORN?! Boost health always. You could hit the boss, so BOOST HEALTH. With a mid-fight level up that boss is screwed. Good choice. The amount of popcorn that has been wasted is painfully huge. You have wasted your strength potions best use--for a GREAT early kill. You don't need that. Use the strength potion. YOUR NOT EVEN USING YOUR MANA! WHY? It will happen. Just throw a fireball! NONONONONONONO! ARGH! That was so wasteful. WHY WOULD YOU NOT THROW YOUR FIREBALLS? THAT WOULD HAVE WORKED EASILY! Let me enlighten you: there are always higher level monsters. The monster distribution is always the same except for bosses and in a couple challenges. SO STOP THROWING AWAY POPCORN AND FIND A GOOD KILL! Remember you should kill all poison and mana burn plants before leveling. You could try to rack up 80 piety for chaos avatar. Dracul or JJ would make this easy. You don't need either, in fact. Just go through the rest of the map. Exploring, fighting, converting and more stuff makes JJ happy. Why will you not fireball magic resist guys. Just because they have magic resist doesn't mean you can't burn them. That is twice you unnecessarily threw away your hp and resources when a castable fireball was adequate. This should be easy. You left a HALPMEH glyph just sitting there, never using or converting it. You never casted GETINDARE and never used your strength potion. You might as well convert/save money. Corrosion matters little at level 10. You can burn the magic users. And 4 times that would have given you a first strike kill and saved you resources. And you wasted a lot of popcorn. No offense, but that was more a testimony to that being the easiest hard than you playing incredibly. You need to look into those god puzzles. That was not the best you've played. Sorry to rain on your parade.

KEY POINTS: LOOK AT INFO PANELS (both monster and dungeon). You can fireball magic resist guys. Save popcorn. PLEASE.

Part 39: Unlikely heroes is a fun quest. Hoarder is the hardest badge in the game, requiring you to both not be able to have CP, but also not be able to remove stuff from your inventory. This is set up to crush. Elven fighter is an ideal fighter combination. Fighters are all about leveling up and with extra fireballs per level you become a spellcasting DING! machine. In fact, second to some ridiculous wizard builds and the ulti-assassin it is one of the best spellcasting builds. Using WONAFYT is not a huge step. Looking at info panels is a huge step. Learning the gods is a waaaay huger step. Nice slowing checkerboard. JJ! He is ridiculously great early! This is set up to destroy. JJ is the least random god in the game. JJ plus your elf mana will make you ridiculous. You could get at least 4 if not 5 fireballs with that. With 3-5 mid-fight level ups (quite realistic for a good fighter in a normal dungeon) you could do 680 minimum (7-10) or 900 maximum (5-10) which is quite a considerable fireball spike! You have BURNDAYRAZ, that makes the goblin an easy kill. Why would you not fireball? You can save your DP! JJ is either awesome or useless, depending on whether you find him early or late. You got rather lucky there. Only 1 corrosion and weakening, no health drain and no mana burn. Feeling parched means you cannot drink any health or mana potions. You can popcornbowl higher level monsters with WEYTWUT for your spare exploration. JJ hurts you until you get petition. One of each is getting off easy. I recommend buying/prepping a burn salve/fortitude tonic. NO! YOU NEVER KILL THE LEVEL 1's! Level 3's are the correct target. WEYTWUT monsters out of blackspace so you can WEYTWUT them in combat. WEYTWUT costs 8, not 5. YOU CAN STILL WIN! The more I think about it, the more I realize how nuanced regen fighting is. Stick with JJ for two-three mana boosts to clean up. MA is worse unless you are going to get refreshment. Either way, you need at least one if not two boost mana's. Boost mana is huge for a fighter. Since you have WONAFYT, it could be worth converting WEYTWUT for that extra mana. It depends on how quickly you can find a mana booster. You are not optimally regen fighting. You never attack unless you can burn, and you should save your burn is you are just short of an attack. That goo blob is so far above you unless you want to throw away your DP and schadenfreude. NO! You always regenerate all of your resources before beginning a fight (unless you don't need them AND the fight will level you). Aequitas should be a joke. You can use burning pop-off to kill that goat too. NO! NO NO NO! Boost health is foolish for a wizard when you could have saved for boost mana! You could have reached 5 fireballs! You converted WONAFYT a bit early, but whatever. Use the DP. You will never out regen a 3 level higher goo blob with a fighter. Dang. That was a good kill that you should have gotten. Meat men are incredibly poor targets for a spellcaster. The goat was a better choice. As I have said it saves tiles to use 1 hit and 1 fireball, thus 1 hit and four fireballs has an exorbitant tile cost. There's nothing you can do about it though. You have 1 corrosion, so he does 1 more damage. This is an edge case where the meat man is a much better target. You could not regen fight any other level 8s. Meat men are great for regen fighting like that, but they are ridiculously tough to spike. If you don't level up at least two times with a fighter (mid-fight level ups), you have done something wrong. Flames is terrible. It destroys your physical power making mid-fight level ups and physical attacks useless and difficult. This should be easy from here. Just clean up. DON'T CONVERT! FLAMES IS BAD. On the other hand, scoring refreshment even for one glyph would be ridiculous. Don't switch please. It isn't worth it. Why would you not use your physical attacks? Whatever. You crushed him. The only violation of feeling parched is literally drinking a health or mana potion. Nice job. That will give you the bloodmage.

KEY POINTS: JJ is not dangerous or scary. Just boring. Keep working on regen fighting. Flames is sucky. Nice job.

That's all for now. I'll try to get 3-4 done tomorrow. Nice job, Jay!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:43 am

Soooooo much catch up...

Part 40: Ah, the bloodmage! BLUDTUPOWA (B2P) is one of the strongest glyphs along with BURNDAYRAZ and GETINDARE. Dwarf Bloodmage is one of my favorites. It combos greatly with B2P. Extra mana boosters is great, but you need that fireball glyph. Bloodmages are great spiker mages ranking 4th (Assassin, Wizards, Fighters, Bloodmages), but they get lots of extra health for the boss fight even once you run out of tiles to B2P with. You aren't powerful enough to kill anything higher level, but BURNDAYRAZ would make this a joke. All extra health is great for the bloodmage, and an early pendant would be ridiculous with B2P. No way you can regen fight that meatman without BURNDAYRAZ, and I'm not even sure with that it is doable. Killing a level 1 to level? Shameful. Avoid the bloodpools. MA is okay for him, but I tend to go with Drac to best combo off sanguine.It helps. ENDISWAL! What a nice find. If you can capitalize on that to get more glyphs it will pay off, not to mention never having to kill popcorn. HALPMEH and BLUDTUPOWA are opposites, but you can use both. BLUDTUPOWA is for when you don't want to hit someone, and HALPMEH is for when you only want to hit someone. You aren't going to beat that meat man. You simply don't have enough tiles... unless, of course, you kill some popcorn for sanguine. Which you did. Unfortunately. It is not worth doing, because sanguine is better saved and makes for a ridiculously easy fight. I recommend revisiting Agbaar's Academy to do the Paladin, Assassin, and Bloodmage puzzles. Destroying two adjacent walls with ENDISWAL is not a good choice. It nets you 1 extra tile. Doing an entirely different section can net you 3 tiles. You could have killed the goat if you had explored 1 tile instead of two. Instead you are going to waste many tiles failing to regen fight him. ALWAYS EXPLORE EXACTLY ENOUGH TILES (this is emphasis, not shouting). If you had throw it in and fully regened you could have killed him (you didn't even start the fight with two full bars)! GETINDARE is definitely better than ENDISWAL. GETINDARE should make this a walkover. BICEPS is conversion in this instance. OH YOU FOOLISH FOOL! B2P IS UNFAIR! There is a guaranteed BURNDAYRAZ spawn, and B2P+BURNDAYRAZ is the core of the bloodmage's gameplay. That's karma for you. Mystic Balance is overvalued and refreshment is undervalued. It is a ridiculous power for anyone. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?! Flames destroys your attack and without B2P you're screwed. You may play on, but you will not win. Actually, it's pretty hard to lose in the den with a Bloodmage, so I wouldn't be surprised if you won. The only reason you can't win these fights is you took flames. NEVER TAKE FLAMES*! *Unless you plan to do no more physical attacks for the rest of the dungeon (except for on wimpy popcorn--take out strong popcorn before you use flames), DO NOT TAKE FLAMES. On the topic of avoiding bloodpools, you will not collect them if you are at full health. If you can regen to full you can step on them. Additionally, you can always walk over them without drinking them. HAHAHAHA! You screwed yourself so much with flames. What better way to teach a lesson then to make you fail because of a mistake. This is a karma-fied run. First converting B2P 2 spaces from a BURNDAYRAZ and then taking flames before you meet the iron man as your boss. You had all of this coming. Sorry, but you have no shot. Did you actually know that flames killed your damage, or have you really not noticed? I'm not sure which is worse... NOOOOO! You could step on these bloodpools, but instead you are smartly choosing to hit someone first. This would be a great decision if the game worked how you thought it did, but since it doesn't, that is painful. Actually, if you abuse weakening from MA you could win this still. Just devote the rest of your blackspace to piety gain and take 4 weakenings. JJ is great. If you find him early. IF YOU TAKE MYSTIC BALANCE YOU ARE DONE! You need weakening to win this. At 45% magic res it is a terribly difficult fight, but still doable. At 75%, you have no shot. 45% magic res would be quite doable with B2P. Your mistakes combo painfully off each other. And a misclick. You wouldn't have won, so it's fine. You just saved me some time instead!

KEY POINTS: ALWAYS EXPLORE EXACTLY ENOUGH TILES. Seriously, I cannot emphasize this enough. Flames is suicidal unless you are done with physical attacks. B2P is an incredible glyph. Bloodpools only pick up when you are not at full health.

Part 41: Elven warlord purist? Not bad, not bad at all. I prefer orcs, but elves and gnomes are great too. A gnome warlord with 25 mp is one of the nastier strategies out there. That meatman is a terrible warlord target. Warlords are the best spikers in the game, and the worst regen fighters. That makes meatmen the worst possible choices as a warlord. On the other hand, goats are the best. MA! That's a lucky find. Mystic balance is amazing for a walord, now if you can score 20 mana (an easy elfin achievement), that means each potion is a CYDSTEPP. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! If your warlord can't kill it straight up r with some top off, you have no shot. You are throwing away your early game which is a strong suit of the warlord (the early game, not throwing away the early game. You cannot kill that wraith. PAY ATTENTION! YES! YOU SAW IT! I seriously recommend doing the halfling and gnome puzzles. The item rewards are ridiculous. BURDAYRAZ is conversion fodder to a warlord. That level 5 bandit was probably a good kill. That's a shame. Always check all targets before making your decision (also consider holding off for a better target). Uh, no.YOU FOOLISH FOOL! WEYTWUT costs 8 mana, so it is NOT an extra hit. GETINDARE often is, because 13 is a reachable mana target. Medusa? This is a joke. The mana burn throws away your class power, but if you can score mystic balance and 20 mana that's 1 CYDSTEPP potions. Oh no. Taurog. You'll still crush and your elf will offset the mana penalty, but the wasted potential is off the charts. I'm glad you realized it was a mistake. You are of taurog with 60 piety. If you are of Taurog and do not have all equipment, your piety should never exceed 32 (24+8). NOOOOOOO! NEVER EVER EVER EVER CONVERT GETINDARE AS A WARLORD UNLESS THERE IS EXPRESS AND GREAT REASON TO DO SO. Taurog is barely pissed off by glyphs you are leaving yourself a ridiculous piety cushion. I told you to read those panels. SHE MANA BURNS. You could buy a mana potion, or potion and regenerate four tiles. Or desecrate MA/kill popcorn and take a Taurog DP. Or score a mid fight level up. Need I list more easy options? And that is that. Ah! "H" makes an appearance. The story is too disjointed as of now. That H has flooded your market with H trophies and has talked to you before. That is the third time you found the stranded altar. You officially have unlocked the pactmaker. You almost have all of the gods.

Part 42: Just looking at the title this sounds fun. Another one of your ROFLSTOMP Berserker runs. Wait an elven berserker? What a twist! Actually, the berserker is good enough that it won't matter. I'd bet on you winning this 9 out of 10 times. You better use that strength potion this time. Ah, the joy of being a berserker. Life is soooo simple. I commend you for using WONAFYT. You really are learning. I would bet a lot of players would convert that simply because they are a berserker. In fact, that's what you used to do. You can kill that wraith with a little extra health or damage (*cough* strength potion *cough*). Nice use of topping off. You're fine on exploration. Wow, I really have nothing to say. This is well done as of now. That wraith is an easy kill (DON'T YOU DARE FORGET THAT 50% MAGIC RESISTANCE), but that's it and you smartly are saving it for your level up kill. How very true. WONAFYT gives your exploration meeting. You can't poison fight a snake. It's poisonous too. WEYTWUT will make that doable. NO! WEYTWUT is strictly better than CYDSTEPP 9 times out of 10 (bonus exp, less mana cost, precasting not required, extra swap power). That level 6 wizard is an easy kill between APHEELSIK and BURNDAYRAZ. Don't you forget about your APHEELSIK. Since you're regen fighting, use APHEELSIK instead. USE APHEELSIK! Eh, whatever. APHEELSIK would have saved tiles. Just remember that curse can get out of hand and is PAINFUL for resist guys. That was wasteful. Don'r use popcorn to get rid of curse, do real fights that don't require your experience. You got rid of APHEELSIK? You should have saved APHEELSIK, waited till you were actually going to USE the amulet, and then converted CYDSTEPP instead. GG is a great combo with the berserker. GG sures up his only weakness: physical resistance. It is like insurance. You could go faithless, or use GG and win if the blob shows up. Just remember, CLEANSING GIVES MAGIC DAMAGE. Actually, you could have chucked WONAFYT for the amulet. It's fine to stop at level 4. Humility makes 4 level higher kills so easy. It is one of the greatest boons in the game, along with blood tithe. Turning down Taurog as a Berserker? I never thought you'd do it. Uh, what? Why would you ever think you would kill that guy. Look at the predictor or the panel. That was never going to work. With 2 cleansings that was doable, but otherwise no. ALWAYS EXPLORE EXACTLY ENOUGH TILES. I find it amusing how you prep a strength potion and then totally forget about it. It is not the amulet of yendor. More like a cheap knock-off. Bleaty? This ought to be interesting. If you convert to Taurog or use the strength potion and then some protections it is doable. At least you realize the use for the fireballs. You could have strength potioned to win without any of this. Protection is the best. Always use that BEFORE potions. Nice job anyways.

KEY POINTS: If you're going to prep something, USE IT. Always regenerate exactly enough tiles, and never undervalue APHEELSIK (although ironically, your wrong move was smart because the boss was bleaty).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:52 am

It's late so I'll only get in one or two.

Part 43: A gnome wizard. How... unlikely? The revenants are nasty. If you remember, HALPMEH cures poison, so if you can score it you're good. Wizards start with Magnet: Fireball. You should take two extra mana boosters. Those are very nice preps. Based on the title and the fact that you didn't know the trick, I predict you screw yourself by trying to take out Stheno at level 6 or 7. EM? That's a very good wizard choice. Corrosion is great to stack, vine form is great to create more of a spell-blade, entanglement is great, and clearance is perfect for the wizard. Additionally, the IMAWAL is great. I wonder when you'll realize you have B2P. That could make your wizard quite powerful. It really is a shame you don't know how to use it properly. One thing about the wizard is all glyphs donate 10 CP, so converting fodder allows you to keep all glyphs. Nice job clearing walls. It is great for avoiding both revenants and plants. You could definitely take out a level 3. Don't aim so low. Never forget to IMAWAL. Nice, you remembered! I hope you remember to destroy the statue for 1 gold. You remembered that too! Awesome, you're certainly learning. You should IMAWAL the revenants. I don't know why that doesn't occur to people... It gives you the exp boost, 1 gold, and doesn't block you anymore (since you have ENDISWAL). You should really check your mana. Stheno is ridiculously wimpy. She just has a trick up her sleeve... That level 5 naga was an easy kill with B2P. You really should look at your inventory. If you don't know how it got there, the magnet: fireball pulled a random glyph because you already had a fireball. All dungeons have the same numbers of non-boss enemies except some class challenges. Burning pop-off. It may seem small, but boy is it helpful. That is a good kill. Easily. Remember, you can IMAWAL plants and non-exp enemies. Killing a monster for your burning pop-off throws away your experience boost. Avoid it when possible. The meat man is a worse target than the gorgon. It simply costs more tiles for less exp. Pay attention. You have to hit something. You won't lose the exp unless you kill the target. You have HALPMEH, so you can just attack them and cast it to cure poison. It is very simple it adds a charge for every spell cast. Click it to regain that mana, reset the charges, and up the gold cost. You should be ENDISWALing statues instead of normal walls. You figured it out. Nice job. Really, IMAWALing the revenants would save you so much trouble. It's a shame I was away. You should use that crystal ball to score a 4-5 level higher target. I would kill the level 9 naga (their hp sucks). Weakening isn't one less damage. It is one less base damage. It is a very minor yet important distinction, especially for humans and rogues. You have to recharge the crystal ball. ENDISWAL THE STATUES. It can fund your crystal ball. What a poor choice. That level 9 was the right move. You are wasting exploration, but not enough for it to matter significantly in a hard dungeon. If this was vicious, you should be worried, but in Hexx, you're fine. The irony is too funny. You want to kill her early because of her surprise, yet that is itself why you should not kill her early. You have much more than you seem to think. That was a poor choice. You could have won without the crystal ball, and it is usually not smart to up the crystal ball's cost too much. Stheno is so wimpy. 238 is the lowest hit points in hard. The brothers of stone and earth have that, hard medusa, and hard tomithy. All the wimps. You should have killed the level 2 revenant to pull away the others. You have HALPMEH. Poison is meaningless. Seriously, check them dungeon panels. If you knew the trick, this would be soooooo easy. Tomithy is the wimpiest boss in the pack for almost everyone. Later game I would petrify any high level guys you won't kill instead of popcorn. Yeah, Stheno really screws you at first. This is over, you might as well explore the spider temple. You could kill Tomithy, go into the temple and pick up the can of unfair liquid, and go ape on her. You could fireball tomithy to death. Better luck next time! It's not as nasty as you think. It is 5% (right?) for every monster destroyed.

KEY POINTS: Always ENDISWALL a statue unless you have to get around a chokepoint. Seriously, check up on things before you do them. Just double check yourself before decisions. It will help, whether that means checking a dungeon or monster panel, looking at your inventory, or checking your stat bars. You don't want to be caught unawares. Oh, and HALPMEH cures poison.

The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:35 pm

I really would like to know if anyone beat Stheno on the first try without knowing her nasty little trick. I feel like her trick makes it so that SHE isn't the real boss here, it is the dungeon itself. Because beating her is actually not that bad. . .if you can clear the rest of the dungeon.
On the other hand, if the dungeon beats you (you can't wipe out all/most enemies) then you have no hope against her.

I really like this Dungeon actually, because it forces a very different play style :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons