[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Postby Lujo on Tue May 14, 2013 9:12 pm

Cydstep and first strike go great together - free hits get better the more you can stack.

And as for critical mass - there's plenty of it in non ridiculous incarnations. And still some in at least ha-ha funny ones.

Stacking resists - there's several ways with various levels of ease/cheeze. Once you're stacked, you pretty much only care how sloppy you play with other elements if you can somehow get cursed.

Going crazy with a god - well, it's pretty much hilarious with piety farms ATM, so much so that I can't remember the last time I went serious with TT. Mysterea and Binlor kick enough general purpose ass that you can play pretty sloppily with your other resources.

Gold - well, you can still go spam happy with the crystal ball I suppose, and you can get moderate and fun benefits out of conversion strats, so there's nothing to really point at an scream. CP monster Dragonknights are also more interested in setting up good buildup and combos than being picky about targets and exploration.

DP/Dodge string - got pretty screwy ways of setting you priorities when it comes to exploration and monsters.

Warlords - They're manamonstering cheeze.

And so on and so forth...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed May 15, 2013 2:03 am

I think that part of lujo's point is that exploration has upsides besides just healing, in that it actually lets you explore the map and uncover more resources. When I am getting ready to fight the boss, I take a look at our relative power and decide if regen fighting makes sense or not. If it doesn't, I will explore almost the entire map, leaving only a few scraps in case I need to manipulate my health and mana thresholds.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Wed May 15, 2013 7:30 am

Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 15, 2013 12:09 pm

Really?

You raise a good point. Another important thing is piety/staying power/resources. I'd better factor that into my equation.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed May 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Yep.

And you're allready factoring it in your play, I'm sure. It's a big part of what makes you pro, and it's something that comes with experience.

A nice and easy illustration is mana thresholds - the difference between having 10, 12, 15 or 18 mana is pretty huge. Also having and not having, say fireball.

The ease of accessing powerups, shops, altars and all that is key to success, which is why cramped maps are so nasty. Also why Transmuter is so strangely strong - having LEMISI lets you have your cake and eat it when it comes to juggling exploration and managing every other resource. He's my favourite class because he let's me go for thresholds and general critical mass AND have a decent chance of saving plenty of exploration.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 15, 2013 7:20 pm

True.

I love the transmuter too. Once you figure him out he's lots of fun. On top of all you mentioned he gets lots of extra CP.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 am

I am really, really bloody happy we managed to find a way to make the Transmuter a fun class to play. That was a balance nightmare.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Thu May 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Yep. In terms of "did you get there" it payed off. He's a complete blast once you figure him out. Takes a bit of expert handling, but that mostly due to how people start out with exploration and XP, and only unlock all the other stuff. But once you do get a hang of all that stuff, he clears VGT like a son of a b...

The CP per glyph cast might use bumping by 1 point. It'd be a big deal, true, and it might get people to try to play him wrong, but it's a bit too weak at the moment. Otherwise - he's what started my last VGT binge, so he's pretty good.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Yeah, he's ideal for VGT. Looking back its crazy how many broken versions (either OP or sucky). Well, it all turned out for the best.

The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat May 18, 2013 7:47 pm

HAHAHAHAHA
I feel like that conversation got WAY past where I am in the game. However since you guys are all at quite the high level I should say that I posted my first "fail" run today.
It really is 1/2 an hour of me screwing up, and I have already recorded a run where I actually win that mission (I feel like I use mid fight lvl ups far better in the winning run), but if you guys have any input as to how I could have done that run better please share. I think my fatal flaw right now is that I explore to much (i.e. am to picky about my opponents), but I don't know how valid that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDEgxw-sY_c
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons