[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:13 pm

Hey guys I just loaded my first vicious run :) I must say I think it went EXACTLY as it was designed to go for a first vicious run in this dungeon lol

I made some serious mistakes on this run but I am actually glad I did as well as I did. I don't think it is to much a spoiler to say it is not a success run as vicious is still probably way out of my league right now :)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:01 pm

If it is in Namtar's Lair, you probably did worse than you realize. Probably. I don't mean this in a mean way, but that dungeon is chocked full of mean surprises.

EDIT: You should find more gods before you challenge vicious again. Also, I highly recommend doing all 6 complicated tasks. Here's a hint to unlock more gods and races: progress in all directions. Do not focus on one direction.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Yeah I am going to go after the normal level quests soon, as well looking to the hard dungeons in other directions. The only reason I focused on this one for so long was that I saw I could unlock vicious mode :) I like having the hardest mode unlocked even if I have no chance there.
One more win in the halls of steel and it will be on to other things :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:44 pm

I recommend doing one Berserker VHoS run (Vicious Halls of Steel). It is the best class for the easiest vicious. Despite how ridiculously difficult it looks I promise it is the easiest by a fair margin.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Naoya on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:38 pm

You should also try a few silver challenges too; some of them can be quite challenging, but some of the rewards are really great to have.

Exempting VGT, Namtars Lair is probably the hardest vicious dungeon out there, with half its stuff tricky to kill and exploration space being rather scarce. Not to mention all those annoying blinkers. I always imagine the BurnVipers showing me a Trollface...

From what I've seen, you have unlocked Namtar before Vicious Halls of steel. Which I find weird, because I remember having to clear or unlock VHOS first.
Naoya

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Naoya: Hmm I think if I had beaten halls of steel with ANY 4 characters it would have unlocked vicious without unlocking Namtar, but because I beat it with the specific 3 characters for a quest it unlocked Namtar first. Now I have to beat halls of steel one more time to unlock vicious :)

The Avatar: Trust me no matter how easy I can fail at it ;) Jokes aside I will likely try it out. But right now I am just trying to unlock halls of steel vicious.
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Lujo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:53 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 am

This was how my first VICIOUS run went

"Oh hey neat! My first brush with endgame content!"
"Let's do this right! Try to find a 2nd level monster."
"Found one!"
(looks at the numbers for a 2nd level goblin)
(exits the game)
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:29 am

Yeah, the way I've been "teaching" (or informing, tipping, whatever) is by drilling what you should do usually, and then tackling exceptions as they come up. I don't know if it is the most effective way to help him, but it seems to be working well so far. Actually, Jay, how much, if at all, have my tips and advice helped?

The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:41 am

It is hard to say how much they have helped. Compare how I am playing to how you or perhaps an average player plays with an equal amount of experience.

I know that before I started making videos and reading commentary I was far worse than I am now, but how much of that is from natural improvement and how much from these boards?

I have no idea.

I will say for sure that I am certainly learning concepts faster than I otherwise would "save potions until necessary", "level up fighting", "fight things at much higher lvls" etc these are things it would have taken me much longer to figure out on my own.
JayPlaysIndieGames

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons