[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Postby Darvin on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:44 pm

Hexx is a fun one. I managed to win simply because I was messing around to challenge myself. I attempted to kill only same level monsters as long as possible, then low level monsters, then high level monsters. It was rather... amusing.

The easiest way around the trick frankly is just to clear the dungeon. Unless you have some nasty monsters (in which case 10-20% resists don't really matter), it shouldn't be that hard to clear with a good race/class combo.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:27 pm

Once upon a time the trick used to be even nastier. She used to leave a revenant behind herslef, and when you killed her, he "smoke cloud" lingered just long enough for you to click on the unseen revenant and kill yourself. Was really infuriating/awesome.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:06 am

Yes! That happened to me even after I beat her the first time. I really play too fast. Anyways, back to work!

Part 44: The rematch begins. Yeah, you got cheated last time, per the normal. This shouldn't be too hard. The crystal ball is one of the strongest items in the game if you use it correctly. While you may not have realized you automatically get BURNDAYRAZ, at least you made the right choice. I hope you check your inventory. B2P. What luck! If only you knew how to use it. This could be so OP. You already have a good target in that level 2 naga. This is working together perfectly. And there it is. Wizards do automatically start with fireball. This ought to be a joke. You aren't accounting for burning. You can. If you are 3 damage short, you should be able to pull it off. The predictor already accounts for burning, so just trust the predictor. You can definately kill that goo. You aren't even accounting for B2P, although you probably wouldn't realize how to use it. Well done on seeing that level 4 opportunity. Eh, I would by that troll heart anyways. With your shop pool, the troll heart should be automatic at level 2. Keep on WONAFYTing! This is great so far. Taurog is definately a bad choice for your wizard. Dracul is terrible for Hexx. Every revenant is undead. YOU REALIZED THAT! Nice! NOOOOOOOOO! Dracul gives you 2 piety for every kill, so there is no reason to worship him immediately. Drac is best worshipped right before the boss fight 90% of the time (the other 10 being when you want to stack lifesteal or resists). That was a terrible choice, but you couldn't have known. Just remember, if you only want Drac for the healing, worship him when you want that healing. SCORE! That crystal ball is great. If you get IMAWAL you are saved. That will get rid of the revenants. That level 7 is killable. You get 2 BICEPed hits and 3 fireballs. That should be enough. At this rate you'll need blood tithe. A layer of lifesteal also is great for your piety. The first hit on every non-bloodless monster is 1 piety. You are over exploring a bit. You could almost kill that level 9 with your crystal ball, and that is the best choice. Bad choice. Unless it is strictly less efficient (as in it takes waaay more tiles), always attack the highest level target. Since you were leveling up anyways, it was totally more effective to kill the level 7. YOU LUCKY-- won't say that online, never mind. If you use this right, you can do so well. The badge of honor is terrible for conversion. NO! That level 9 goo is an easier and higher exp target. LOOK AT YOUR OPTIONS. You're IMAWALing the revenants?! You are doing everything I recommended last time! THIS IS AWESOME! It is a shame that was a wasted IMAWAL, but that's 5 less lost piety. You need to pay more attention. You have exploration space. NOOOOOO! Meatmen have 150% hp. A level 8 with 150% hp has waaaay more than a level 9 goo (which is only 100% hp). You have 19 mana. That means exploring one tile gives you a fireball. You should always do this. You could have killed the meat men that way. Sang-win, not sang-ween. Sorry, I'm a bit pedantic about pronunciation. That health potion was smart, except it pissed off drac. If you had bought the fortitude tonic at the shop it would have been smarter. KILL THE LEVEL 9! If there are higher level monsters, you should fight them. Don't go fishing for the boss if there are any high level targets.. You have forgotten the level 9. That's a shame. You never took blood tithe. Of course you aren't getting sanguine. You should kill the level 9, then the level 8, then the level 7, then be set up for a mid fight level up from 7 to 8. If you found the other level 9 it would be even better. You shouldn't have wasted so much exp. It's too late now. Now you're just throwing away a mid fight level up. You have no shot at beating that goo. You could have won with a very valuable lesson: PRECASTING! I'll do a mini write-up about it at the end. You don't have to kill everything. Leaving 1-4 guys is fine. Wow. That's amusing. You are playing very smartly. You've impressively salvaged your poor choice of joining dracul. They really should put a sign in there. You're supposed to kill the plants out of curiosity to get the item they hide. You won't need the extra mana for Stheno. She is wimpy. Your piety is about to go crazy. YOU NEVER TOOK BLOOD TITHE. Wow, very smart decisions. Despite that original poor choice, you've really made the best of this. That was a very good choice. If you had attacked Stheno then she would have assimilated 18 monsters for a total of 72(?) resist all. You should just IMAWAL all of the revenants and kill everything you can. That leaves 5 monsters for a total of 25% resist all, which is totally beatable. The problem is Stheno will assimilate all of these revenants for some huge resists. You are higher level than the level 8s. You only need one hit. Never forget first strike vs lower level guys (this can even be level 9s)! Good, now you remembered. All in all, despite some huge mistakes, this was very well played. You popcorn bowled a good amount, and made the best of some very bad circumstances. I have nothing to criticize here. You should petrify all revenants with your 20 mana, then use the crystal ball and just attack Stheno. You won't need any of this. You will crush this. You need to just petrify a few. Oh. She will absorb those revenants. FAIL. You are mis-playing this. You should have done 4 fireballs, then 4 fireballs with the crystal ball, then 4 more for Schadenfreude. Nice job. Hexx is a serious pain in the ass. Good job beating it. That was some of your best play ever.

Funny, watching you be way over prepared for a hard boss makes me realize how nasty the vicious stat modifiers are. If this boss had vicious stats you could kill it now. Then again, if monsters had the vicious stat modifier, he wouldn't be half as prepared. Just some food for thought, vets.

KEY POINTS: Don't worship drac until you specifically want one of his boons (HINT: this is usually right before the boss fight), as unhelpful as this sounds, try to forget less things, or do routine checks on the map and your inventory to make sure you haven't forgotten any items/targets, never go boss fishing. If there is a killable high level target and you are just exploring to find a boss, kill it.

Part 45: This ought to be interesting. I hope you play this right. Elven bloodmage isn't bad. Gnommish, orcish, and dwarven are best IMO. Elven boots are not a bad choice ever. I would take the pendant of health actually, for some crazy early B2P kills. No need to be sorry. It's smart to know what you're playing. Er... what?! Why are you prepping a fine sword? They make only mediocre fighters. The amulet of health is much smarter. B2P costs 3 health for 3 mana. The health cost scales per level, but so does fire damage, so it balances. It is a very well designed glyph. Good GETINDARE usage. It is great. You don't need to avoid it, just step on it when you have no health. Try to stick to your checkerboard as much as possible for WONAFYT. It keeps things less complicated. Crystal ball sucks for the bloodmage. That was a ridiculously poor decision. GETINDARE was far too important. Popcorn bowling is nice, but GETINDARE is unfairly good. If you had converted WONAFYT, you could have killed that wraith with precasting and 4 fireballs. Instead this isn't going to work. At all. WHY DO YOU NEVER ACCOUNT FOR BURNING?! This is not going to end well. Never just try things. Calculate, think, then make a smart, fact based decision. This could still work out if you restarted with full burning. It is worth a health potion. This is a good decision. I would not have done so, simply using burning, but you have already put so much into this fight it would be a severe wast of tiles to do otherwise. NO THANK YOU AT ALL?! The troll heart is an incredible item for your bloodmage. Also, the hp isn't tied into the item, so you can convert it later! WONAFYT should be W. The devs should add a tutorial for setting hotkeys. I'm pretty sure a lot of people don't even know you can. MA is nice for the bloodmage, but not incredible. Dracul is straight up better for your bloodmage. Also, every spellcasters best target (THE WRAITH!) is magic. You should go for a level 5 enemy. If you were a better burning stacker, you would be good for a weak level 6. The glowing guardian would be a very poor choice. Just think about it using common sense: dark magic and vampirism are not holy in the slightest. F U. The hotkeys, not me insulting you. I feel like that might have been intentionally. Funny, I never realized that until you said it out loud. I wonder if my bloodmage screams that as he hurls balls of fire at the wraith or whatever it may be.Just one warning about B2P. It uses a lot of exploration. A meatman is always a bad spiking target and always a good regen fighting target. I keep talking about what are good and bad targets. I'll add a list to my end notes. That makes 4 fireballs, not quite enough. Bloodmages are your least favorite?! You will learn. With more experience they are both powerful and fun. It's like playing any Dark Jedi in Starwars Battlefront. Sir, the luck you have sometimes ceases to amaze me. Why is it every spellcaster I have hits the iron man, and every berserker hits the wall of goo? You are really over exploring. This was not well done so far. You over explored for the meat man and have overused B2P. You're really running out of tiles fast. Mystic Balance could be your saving grace here (although frankly you could fireball the tormented one right now at level 4). If you think about it, you take flames and fireball as much as possible (with B2P), then level up with popcorn, fireball as much as possible (with B2P), then use bloodpools for more B2Ps. That is what makes the bloodmage so glorious. Combo stuff like that. If you use a bloodpool this is entirely viable. Oh, you explored. So much for that. I'm glad you realized you could have used sanguine. That itself is a step in the right direction. Seriously, just kill the boss. Always buy the spoon. So true. The devs picked up on are terminology. KILL DA BOSS! Actually, you really should. At this rate you won't have any tiles for B2P against the boss. ARGH! JUST KILL THE BOSS! There is one rule for normal dungeons that I use and I recommend you adopting: kill the boss as early as possible without potions. It really saves time and makes things easier. PLEASE KILL THE BOSS. I'm glad you overestimate bosses. It is much better than underestimating, and it will help you out in vicious when they are surprisingly strong. If you only have enough tiles for one round of B2Ping, save it for after the level ups, just like all potions and everything. You could have killed the boss at level 4. Well, good job. You see how strong he is. This was a very rough cut, fumbling and inexperienced bloodmage run, but it was your first real one, so great job. You understand the class, now you just need to refine your bloodmage skills.

KEY POINTS: Don't over B2P, don't always go for a very high level kill if it costs too many tiles, convert WONAFYT earlier than GETINDARE

Part 46: This is the second video named assassin's blade. I would change that. As I always say, there are two assassins, the super-spellcasting-totally-unfair-vicious-owning-cheater assassin, and the standard assassin. As you only know the standard strategy, go human. Wow. Why does BURNDAYRAZ always start next to you. Never take dracul until you want a boon from him. Ah. Itssssama Itsssa. I can't wait till you see Ick Swamp. That dungeon is NASTY. Personally, that is my third least favorite (the worst is the slime pits, then cursed oasis). The rule for the assassin is you can beat anything twice your level that doesn't have magic res or poison. The pendant of mana isn't very good at all for the standard assassin. You are regen fighting, and extra mana helps only for spiking. No. Stick to stuff twice your level unless your assassin can pull out some super spiking power. Undead make awful targets for your assassin. If you had saved the troll heart you could attack level 6's. APHEELSIK is far too good. What are you thinking. You are way overvaluing CYDSTEPP. It's nice, but it is like an overpriced GETINDARE for a worse effect. It says safe because you are swift hands-ing. Lord Gobb can be regen fought to death at level 7 using APHEELSIK. Don't forget your first strike. If you explore the tiles around your target you can save a hit. GOOD! You are casting APHEELSIK before your attacks. You don't need to use all of your APHEELSIK tiles if you can hit him off the bat. The great thing about poison is it doesn't go away unless it literally runs out. I like how you've totally forgotten your first strike. THis is hurting you so much right now. You don't need to explore all poison tiles to attack the monster. Keep working on that regen fighting. It seems a bit off. You are over exploring. You have left BICEPS on the ground the whole time without converting, mentioning, or touching it. Just get rid of it. Good, you got rid of it. Now if you'd just get rid of CYDSTEPP we'd be good. You can regen fight stuff twice your level. A meat man can be regen fought even more than that. A level 9 meat man at level 6 is easy pickings. YOU HAVE MAX HP! HIT HIM FOR PETE'S SAKE (whoever Pete may be). And you remember the first strike. Oh how that would have helped earlier. Just go for the boss. You just used the "I can, so why not" philosophy to a monster. Do this to a boss first. It speeds things up nicely. The strange thing about poison regen fighting is it make burning rather unimportant. Okay, this is straightforward from here, and you even have drac to rub it in. Have fun. You have swift hands, so everything is popcorn. Sorry, I zoned out there. You appear to be doing fine though. Just remember to take another level of blood tithe ASAP.

KEY POINTS: Seriously, work on checking/remembering your options. You frequently have a simple path and you don't even realize it (like you being able to first strike). Your regen fighting seems a bit off. Just keep working and focusing on that. APHEELSIK complicates things a lot...

END NOTES
PRECASTING!: You know the basics of precasting, but there is one main fine point that you have yet to get. This is for fireball only characters, especially bloodmages. Let's say you have 10 mana, and 36 hp as a level 3 bloodmage. That would be 3 fireballs, yet you could still kill a monster with 50 hp. How? By precasting GETINDARE. You are giving yourself a hit while still dedicating everything to fireballs, allowing you to score all 3 (or however many in real life) fireballs, plus your hit (which can by BICEPSed). If you can get this going, your bloodmage can score some serious kills.
GOOD KILL LIST: There are 3 catagories of monsters: ones that should be spiked, ones that should be regen fought, and ones where it doesn't matter. Here's my list for the 12 base monsters.
Spiked ones: Wraiths, Goats, Wizards (simply because high damage makes them worse regen fight targets), Goblins (see previous), Snakes (poisonous), Bandits (if you have resists)
Regen Fighters: MEAT MEN, Bandits (if you have no resists), Dragonspawn (high health makes them harder to spike), Zombies (see previous)
Irrelevant: Gorgon (weak attack is countered by death gaze), Golems, Goos (physical resists make both hard except a spell spike)
***BONUS*** SPELL RANKINGS: I rank spells by fighting capabilities, and utility capabilities.
Fighting Rank (Best is first): 1. BURNDAYRAZ (So all-round and the only way to deal with physical resists), 2. GETINDARE (saves a ridiculous amount of damage if used properly for very little cost), 3/4. HALPMEH/B2P (both very strong, depending on whether you are a spellcaster or fighter), 5. APHEELSIK (ridiculous regen-fighting power), 6. PISORF (Strong GETINDARE substitute), 7. WEYTWUT (a poor man's GETINDARE), 8. BICEPS (doesn't even always matter, but usually saves a few attacks), 9. ENDISWAL (a cheap substitute for most CYDSTEPP uses), 10. CYDSTEPP (a poor man's WEYTWUT), 11. LEMISI (only when out of tiles for regen fighting), 12. WONAFYT (very rarely matters in combat), 13. IMAWAL (no combat value)
Utility Rank: 1. WEYTWUT (clearing guys, popcorn bowling), 2. IMAWAL (gold, nice exp boost, minor drawback), 3. WONAFYT (superb popcorn bowling), 4. ENDISWAL (cost effective path clearing), 5. LEMISI (nice extra tiles), 6. PISORF (poor man's ENDISWAL), 7/8/9/10/11/12/13. BURNDAYRAZ/B2P/HALPMEH/GETINDARE/APHEELSIK/BICEPS/CYDSTEPP (no utility value).

Those are just my lists. Many people may disagree, and I'm actually interested in hearing what they think. Of course, it is hard to list when things may be great situationally, but I've done my best to generalize.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 am

Never underestimate the halfling bloodmage, too.

I'm generally with you on the list, although I may value PISSORF a bit higher, and LEMISI is highly situational but if you have it right next at the entrance it's a godly buff to pretty much any gameplan.

I also like the cydstepp = poor man's wheytwut, made me smile. But it's easy to overlook an inherent property of "freebies" such as confirmed dodges, DPs, first strike hits - the more you can chain, the stronger they get. So it's value and strenght goes up and down depending on the availability of freebies. Because there's no way to get two extra hits on someone with just wheytwut, or even wheytwut and getindare - but it is with cydstepp and wheytwut/getindare.

So using cydstepp as a poor man's slow hit is the worst case scenario. You of all people should be familiar with how busted the Namtar's Ward is, cydstepp has the same effect cost quite a bit of mana (exploration), but it can be good enough enough that I've got down to Horatio in VGT without converting it. Just saying...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:59 pm

If find it interesting how low you guys rank Cydstep. Honestly while I know BURNDAYRAZ is better, I find cydstep definitely to be in my top 3 things I am happy to see on almost any run (berzerker excluded)
IMAWAL, CYDSTEP, and BURNDAYRAZ are definitely my favorite things (and usually in that order though it is close).
I like cydstep so much because it often helps me not "waste" exploration. There also there are 3 of the 12 classes (that I've unlocked) that gain HUGE innate benefit from it (Warlord (obvious), Rogue/Assassin (First Strike)). But I find it very useful for almost any class because it is "always" one more hit, and that is exactly what I always need :).

Anyway, I am betting my opinions will change greatly as time marches on and I start working through different hard dungeons, and try my hand at a vicious or two :)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Darvin on Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:07 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:46 pm

I agree. That was my logic for it's ranking. It is so blackspace intensive compared to GETINDARE or even WEYTWUT, so it isn't nearly as good.

The Avatar

Postby Raz on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 am

when I see CYDSTEPP I think "Good deal, 1 free death protection." and immediately cast it. Then it will be one of my first conversion items. I know I will not be able to effectively use it in the boss fight- full health cast requirement and all, and even though WEYTWUT is 8 mana, you can ALWAYS use it instead of wasting tiles during exploration.
Raz

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:34 am

Agreed. I often take that route.

Okay, here goes. I'll try to get to 50.

Part 47: Paladin's are a very strong class. If you know your way around the gods, he is a divine (pun intended) class. THANK YOU! I'm glad you're trying god preps. I would have prepped the elven boots instead, but they're both good. The extra mana is great for you, so by that same logic you should have picked elven boots. You score less piety on level ups. It hurts your overall piety, but it really isn't that bad. Try to get in your conversions as an elf. If you don't foresee using PISORF, convert it. It isn't worth fighting that bandit with a mid-fight level up. NO! All you needed to do was explore a tile. It wasn't worth throwing away that popcorn. That was a mistake. The strategy for humility is taking it JUST BEFORE you kill a high level enemy. Smart. You should always use WEYTWUT for the last hit. You weren't going to use that PISORF. The pendant of mana would be totally redundant. The pendant of mana is better 90% of the time. Unless that pendant of health brings you over the threshold, it sucks. Wait, what?! You just converted WEYTWUT? That is going to hurt you. It always does. You give up exp and freedom of movement for practically nothing. HALPMEH is more cost efficient than BURNDAYRAZ for spiking, so unless you have reason not to hit the monster, use HALPMEH. You have to think about the consequences for your actions (wow, I sound like a middle school teacher). You're going to wish you had WEYTWUT. Good! You seem to have figured out that HALPMEH cures poison. See, I told you you would wish you'd kept WEYTWUT. It is an intentional thing. Frankly, as a Humilitized paladin, you should be killing 3 higher level kills. You never checked the subdungeon. Just attack then HALPMEH. It is more efficient than 2 fireballs. The map isn't small, it's centered around the boss as a chokepoint. Bad luck. Why would you not level up off the 1 level higher wraith? You really should check your god. You prepped him after all. He can cure poison and mana burn, make you deal magic damage, and flat out restore your stats. If you look at the wall, you can see where there are adjacent tiles, because of the different edge. Mix and match. Use fireballs to take off the little extra exp and HALPMEH for the rest. Good, you figured it out. Yeah, you got screwed, but it's still your fault because you converted PISORF and WEYTWUT. This is definitely still winnable. At the very least you could score 6 full damage hits using cleansing through one conversion and kill him. I hope you see it. LOOK CLOSER! IT DOES MAGIC DAMAGE! That is enough to win it for you. I forgot it's cheaper for you. You don't even need to convert a glyph. This is pretty standard. Just beat him out from not on. Smash dracul for indulgences for some potions. Wow, you thought to try that! NICE! You have physical resists. REMEMBER THEM. Nice job with those indulgences. You don't totally understand how this works, but you used it! I've talked before about cleansing, and need I show more proof? It is an incredibly strong boon. Nice win anyways.

KEY POINTS: Never forget your abilities. Check your god way more often. There are many things that are better before fighting the boss. Get better kills under humility.

Part 48: Ah, unlikely heroes is so fun! Halfling monk is the second worst monk (gnome being worse). Compressions seals are INCREDIBLE! Oh dear. That's not a normal zombie. I recommend mousing over the boss. That way you see it's not frank. Halfling monks are terrible. Halfling wizard is an amusing combo. Have fun! This ought to be interesting. PISORF+Troll=GREAT! Why would you not PISORF him DIAGONALLY? That way he's out of your way instead of on your glyph. You totally overrate CYDSTEPP. APHEELSIK, or even WEYTWUT are better. You should consider militarizing your PISORF use. 3 mp PISORF wizards are VERY strong. Druids are probably the easiest enemy in the game. They're ability is weak, their stats are weaker, and they make super fodder. I hope you go for that level 5 druid. YES! Thank you for looking at all your options. Druids ruin your WEYTWUT. Their DP cancels your slow. Nice kill. BICEPS is nice for the wizard. It is so inexpensive it really doesn't matter. Always compress the large item you are LEAST likely to convert (HINT: YOUR LOCKER ITEM!). That is a nasty level 5. This is going to be tough. I'm glad you check his stats. I'm even gladder you realized you could WEYTWUT. It is just a coin flip. Retry. Why do you always seem to think your spells are useless against magic resist dudes? JUST RETRY THE WEYTWUT! No. Always save your CYDSTEPP until AFTER the level up. Well, fortunately you killed him anyways. This has been a very impressive run. All corrosive enemies leave behind corrosive pools. YOU HAVE WEYTWUT! USE IT! WHY WOULD IT NOT? One thing about DD is there are very few exceptions to the rule. If you can WEYTWUT a monster without magic immunity, you can WEYTWUT ANYTHING without magic immunity. Why woukd you not use burning pop off. Or you could retry with full mana and use the extra damage to kill him. YOU STILL CAN! BURNING POP OFF! Also, retrying does more damage. Wow, a bandit and a wraith? Those are the best targets out there. Frankly the bandit was better, but it matters so little. SAVE THE DEATH PROTECTION. Always save your last DP until after your level up. It is not 50 exp. It is 50 minus your current exp, so only 31, nevertheless a hefty sum. Meat man is really easy with some spare tiles and APHEELSIK. Guess what? You have both! That shouldn't be too tough once you level up a little. Oh how I wish you could learn mid run. I have to watch you throw away sooooo many DPs. If you had REMEMBERED your DP you would have won. Seriously, you won't regen fight these guys without poison. JUST USE POISON. Purple is MA. NO! NO FLAMES! FLAMES IS TERRIBLE! ARGH! That is going to make super meat man a super pain in the ass. Hard dungeons don't have many surprises. No need to be paranoid. Why? You don't need potions now and all of those Toloshkees drop them. That makes 15% or something. I can't believe you are actually playing with Flames (no half-pun intended). Seriously, it hurts you overall. If this was vicious, you just screwed yourself over. You can't spike SMM. You have to regen fight, and you have just the glyph. I don't even think you've realized what flames did to your attack. It's a shame. Remember your schadenfreude. If you had just fireballed first and then used it you could have won without using potions. No need for paranoia. SMM is terrible for wizards. Why did you have to take flames. That made things way worse. Don't forget monster DP. CYDSTEPP?! WHAT ARE YOU THINKING! You needed that blackspace for regen fighting SMM. Those 9 tiles were worth much more than 1 hit! CYDSTEPP IS FOR SPIKING, NOT REGEN FIGHTING! Your halfling has an almost inexhaustible supply of health potions. This should be easy. You should have used schadenfreude before any other potions. You win! You're getting better. This is a run to be proud of.

KEY POINTS: Save the DP until after the level up. You can regen fight bosses, try it next time. Don't play with flames. Seriously, that boon is not safe.

Part 49: This ought to be a cakewalk. Berserker is the ultimate anti HHoS class. I would like to propose a question: why would you NOT prep Taurog? Taurog is ideal for the berserker, and you have trouble with this dungeon. That subdungeon is mediocre. You give piety for cheap material rewards. The orb. I'd just smash it as not to have to deal with the illusions. You need to learn to strength potion at level 1. That is when it is best used. NEVER THROW AWAY ENDISWAL WITHOUT VERY GOOD REASON. NOOOOOO! Actually, that was better than converting ENDISWAL. That was on you. You don't even need the orb. You could have kept playing and won. This second try is ridiculous. You have wasted so much exploration. You could win because this is HHoS, but even still it is a shame. This start was bad, but this is still so doable. SERIOUSLY, USE THAT STRENGTH POTION! This is the 4th time you payed for it and didn't touch it. And now you've throw away all exploration. Well, that would have been an easy win. That is a nice start. You could have won rather easily off all 3, but this is the best. You can totally regen fight that level 2. When you regen fight monsters 1 level higher they regen at the same speed as you. At level 1, that means you can beat virtually any level 2 you can hit. Curse is nasty for the berserker in HHoS. There are so many magic monsters. Recently you've done much better with WONAFYT. This curse is hurting you. You could have killed that level 4. DON'T! Dang. Pay attention to your exp bar at all times. A mistimed level up can be the difference between victory and defeat. Ugh. Those AA's cost so many resources to defeat. It might have been worth killing the level 5 wraith if only to save popcorn and tiles. No way. Goo blobs are too tough on your berserker. I love the indomitable. He becomes rather scary in vicious steel... Frank. How unfortunate. Frank is probably the nastiest standard boss. He has the same stats as the firstborn, but physical resists are harder to come by and he can't be poisoned. You should just kill the wraith straight up. The mana burn matters so little. You can kill the indomitable as soon as you level. That should be your target. ATTACK THE INDOMITABLE! Seriously, that level 8 AA is far stronger than the indomitable. Good choice, at level 5 WONAFYT is pretty redundant (EXCEPT FOR THE ASSASSIN). The hero's helm isn't very good in my opinion. It isn't great for anyone. Please just slaughter the indomitable. You really shouldn't be fighting high level AA's. If you are strong enough to regen fight a level 8 AA, you can crush the indomitable. Whittling AA's is such a pain, even though it is necessary. There is an easy level 3. You need to look at ALL of your options. NO! NONONONO! Good. You don't have the resources for another level 8. Your tiles aren't high enough. On the other hand if you leveled up off the indomitable and spared some tiles... Always fireball first thing vs the indomitable. That way he does less vs you. They really should give him berserk 5% or something. I told you not to go for that level 8 AA. It's not like you can hear me though, so whatever. You don't have enough resources. Sure you can win, but that's everything out the window, just for the minor bonus Taurog will give you. If you don't want Taurog's stuff, DON'T WORSHIP TAUROG! You've definitely won. Nice job. Oh look, you might finally try your strength potion! You should have fireballed before you leveled, but at least you realized it. You can only buy each potion once. Originally you could buy duplicates, but 4 schadenfreudes was too good. You need to take 1 of Taurog's boons. You should have taken it all earlier. YES! WHY DO YOU ALWAYS FORGET YOUR RESISTANCES! ARGH! THE PENDANT OF HEALTH DOESN'T EVEN HEAL YOU--ARE YOU BLIND? YOU HAVE A HIT AND A DP! Sorry, kind of lost it there for a second. You had the win.

KEY NOTES: ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR RESISTANCES. AA's are terrible targets. Take your god boons as quickly as possible. Kill bosses as early as possible without potions.

Oh yeah, you should do VHoS, if just to see what an easy vicious dungeon is like.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons