Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Video Review of Desktop Dungeons and a Let's Play!

Postby booooooze on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:48 am

26: Three things to keep in mind: 1) walling slowed critters gives you 1XP, 2) Entanglement is awesome (you could have used it when you were fighting that gorgon), 3) So is plantation -> clearance, when you need a bunch o' fireballs.
booooooze

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:34 am

IT BETTER WORK THIS TIME!

Part 27: As an extra note, when you get a new glyph it adds a puzzle or two to Agbaar's Academy. It's pronounced sang-win, not sang-ween. Those are all cool classes, but the one with the most potential is the assassin. Still, pick whichever next time. They're all cool. The best collections of preps are the bloodmage one. Dwarf Paladins are rather mediocre unless you go for the health monger strategy. Which you can't do. The best are humans, elves, or gnomes. HALPMEH heals 5 hp per level if you are a paladin. This is not obvious enough. GETINDARE! PARTAY! Dragonspawn have 150% hp like zombies. They make bad targets. You can't beat that guy. Shame. You need one more mana. You want to target physical damage guys are a paladin and AVOID MANA BURN AT ALL COST. Very true. ALWAYS AVOID WRAITHS. HALPMEH is nice, so be an elf. You shouldn't have just hit a level one to level up. There was literally no reason to level up. YOU ARE LEARNING CONVERSION FODDER! YAY! No. Do not hit that wraith. Unless you will level up off it, never attack a mana burner. On the bright side, you never have to deal with poison. A paladin of... Taurog? This ought to be interesting. Convert ENDISWAL. Keep GETINDARE and HALPMEH. Why would you kill the mana burner first? You have first strike, so you strike first. You should convert BURNDAYRAZ (only because you are of Taurog, know you won't fight a physical resistance boss, AND have HALPMEH), unless you will be fighting a lot of mana burners. It may not always be worth precasting GETINDARE under Taurog. Taurog is going to hurt you so much with the -1 mana penalties. YOU CONVERTED GETINDARE?! IT IS WAY MORE VALUABLE THAN BURNDAYRAZ! A level 8 mana burner at level 4 is suicidal. Wow, this is set up to be a blow out. You better not screw it up. HALPMEH CURES POISON! NONONONO! Why would you level up when you can HALPMEH to get rid of poison and get another 3 level higher kill! Just heads up, paladin of Taurog is a pretty sucky combo, so avoid them in future. DO NOT USE THAT POTION! NO! STOP! YOU HAVE HALPMEH! You cannot kill that level 9 guy. YOU AREN'T POISONED! You are just a few damage short of that win. A MANA POTION! NO! No. Unless you are getting a 5 level higher kill, DO NOT USE POTIONS! And when you are a few damage short, you should convert something, or buy a damage item, or take a taurog boon. You've lost now. It's over. WHAT?! YOU SHOULD NOT EVEN HAVE USED ONE MANA POTION (Although you can and should have won with only one), SO YOU'RE USING 3! NOOOOOO! WAIT, 4?! NOOOO. YOU WILL NEVER FREAKING OUT REGEN THIS GUY! JUST USE THE POTIONS AND BE DONE WITH THIS. That was a pyrrhic victory. You threw away 4 potions, when 1 was doable, although even one was bad. You should not be happy with yourself. This was a good run until that. You should be very unhappy with that fight. Taurog is killing your game with the mana penalty. Seriously, this is killing you. And you aren't an elf, so it double sucks. Against a goo blob, you are better off using BURNADAYRAZ most of the time (especially for regen fighting). Meat men are easy paladin targets. Fight them when possible. Nice early boss kill. Remember (although it is not applicable here), HALPMEH is only better than BURNDAYRAZ if it gets you the hit. An easy win perhaps, but a poor one. Seriously, you're walking around poisoned with HALPMEH. WHY? Wait, you do know HALPMEH cures poison? THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU PLAY LIKE YOU KNEW THAT?

KEY POINTS: DO NOT USE POTIONS EXCEPT 1 FOR A 4 LEVEL HIGHER KILL. Never forget HALPMEH cures poison. Be an elf or human paladin, and don't worship Taurog as a paladin. GG is probably the best.

Part 28: A grudge match! This should be fun! I hope you listen to my Taurog advice. You should go west to unlock the race that is best for monks and rogues. You are set up to blow this out of the park. Go forth and destroy! The monk has so much potential. It really doesn't take that much exploration. A good enough monk can kill a boss with 0-10 tiles. ALWAYS AVOID CURSERS! YOU GOT THE ORB! You are so set up to win now. You are fine. You can't fight anyone. You can't fight the illusion. It will reduce your damage to 0. Worship Taurog then convert WONAFYT. STOP WASTING RESOURCES. The pendant of mana sucks for Taurog guys. Hp isn't big for the monk, but whatever. STOP WASTING TILES AND FREAKING WORSHIP TAUROG. WHY AREN'T YOU WORSHIPING TAUROG! You can say regen right. I believe. Just say it right 5 times for every wrong time. Re-jen, Re-jen, Re-jen, Re-jen, Re-jen. The funny thing is you will probably still win. YOU CAN GET THE BLADE! YOU HAVE 10 PIETY PLUS 10 FROM CONVERSION! JUST WORSHIP TAUROG FOR TAUROG'S SAKE! WHAT?! WHY WOULD YOU CONVERT BEFORE TAUROG? IT IS ONLY BAD! YOU JUST THREW AWAY 10 PIETY! YOU CAN FIGHT THE FREAKING LEVEL 2 WARLOCK. YOU BETTER NOT. NO. YOU BETTER NOT DO THAT! YOU ARE KILLING THE CURSE BEARER? THAT'S 3 UNNECESSARY CURSES! NONONONONONO! WHAT ARE YOU DOING! THIS IS VERY POORLY DONE (so far)! The funny thing is, you'll probably still win. This is one of the worst starts you have ever done. Now you understand why Taurog+Monk is so great. If you can get the resistance and DR items this will be a joke. No way. As a monk, never target something more than double your level (except maybe a meat man vs a tricked out monk). YAY! You've started making the right choice! BETER KILL RATHER THAN EASIER KILL! GOOD FOR YOU! Always grab the spoon. Here's something very important to know. Every item is good. Make sure you find the best. I hope the Paan Labyrinth doesn't screw your kill. YAY! MORE GOOD CHOICES! I really hope the Labyrinth doesn't screw your efforts. AND YOU'RE not over exploring! YOU DID IT! That was probably not the best choice, but it was smart in principle, so it's okay. A monk with weakening is a screwed monk. DO NOT GET WEAKENED. NONONO! Do not hit a curse earer. Ever. If you grab a tile you will be able to hit. You should grab Taurog items IMMEDIATLEY. If you had grabbed the helm this would be a legit kill instead of a fail. Or an incredibly resource intensive kill. Gotta love the hellboi's. There are 3 in the labyrinth. I love that subdungeon. It is so fun. CONVERT CYDSTEPP! IT IS THE WORST MONK GLYPH EVER! AND YOU WORSHIP TAUROG! Oh yeah, once you've unlocked a class it drops it's glyph in dungeon. GRAB THE HELM! YAY! MOAR GOOD CHOICES! Despite the incredibly painful start and far to resource intensive gorgon kill, this has turned out just fine. NO HE'S NOT. Curse targets are a huge no for anyone with a good amount of resists. The orb of lusory does not give resists. It is increasing your mana. Taurog is decreasing it. SUPER MEAT MAN! YOU LUCKY MAN! He is so ridiculously easy to regen fight, but why would you want to fight him at level 6? NO! THE INDOMITABLE IS SOOOOOOOO MUCH EASIER! FIGHT HIM FIRST ALWAYS. Actually, the only exception I can think of (that you have unlocked) is Medusa. REGEN FIGHT SUPER MEAT MAN! HE IS SO FREAKING WIMPY! REGEN FIGHT HIM! You better not destroy that orb of lusory. 50% magic resistance is the most valuable thing possible for a monk. YOU BETTER NOT CONVERT THAT HELMET! NOOOOO! And there goes your damage. STILL, REGEN FIGHT THE BLOODY MEAT MAN! Pie-ety. Not pee-ety. Convert that BURNDAYRAZ. You will not need it... too late. Good, you're regen fighting that meat man. YOU ARE AT A LEVEL WHERE YOU CAN REGEN FIGHT SUPER MEAT MAN. You can beat him at level 5. Heck, level 4 is doable. You are of Taurog. None of these glyphs are worth it. The rule for Taurog is you will have 1 space of inventory. Unless you are going to make that glyph the only item you take, CONVERT IT! SERIOUSLY, CONVERT ALL 3! Uh, how about using all of your regen space? You engaged SMM really early. Of course it took to long. And you have lowered damage due to Taurog. Good job. He's dead. THE INDOMITABLE IS NEVER A PROBLEM! He is a joke! You are seriously blowing him out of proportion. The vicious form is about 100000 times harder. THE BURNDAYRAZ? You shouldn't even need it. You're right. You should pay attention to things. JUST CONVERT THE CYDSTEPP! AGH! IF YOU DESTROY THE ORB IS SWEAR I WILL... phew. You chose the fine sword. Okay, that's okay, but you can just destroy him with your remaining 5 tiles. Easily. NONONONO! YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN FEELING PARCHED SO EASILY! YOU HAVE 5 TILES, THAT'S PLENTY! I told you you'd win. You played rather poorly (no offense), but because this dungeon has the most ridiculously easy boss and you have Taurog.

KEY POINTS: NEVER CONVERT TAUROG'S GEAR. As a rule of thumb, as soon as you have 20 piety (count 10 for each glyph), you should worship Taurog (if you prepped him of course). Also, you will only ever have 1 inventory space under Taurog. Unless you want to destroy the item you have for any given glyph, convert that glyph IMMEDIATELY. ALWAYS TAKE THE INDOMITABLE FIRST! Heck, at this rate I'm going to do a demonstrative run on how to kill the Indomitable early. Never convert Taurog's gear. Just because you can kill a monster, doesn't mean it's worth the tiles it costs (like that level 6 gorgon). POTIONS ARE A LAST RESORT. Only once you can't level up, regen fight, get divine healing, or do anything else to raise either stat bar, do you use potions.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby booooooze on Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:30 pm

I have to admit, I enjoy Avatar's summaries even more than the videos. And the videos are great.
booooooze

Postby Dreamdancer on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:39 pm

We need a second audio line in the vids for Avatars comments (like in some movies, where one has on the dvd comments of some people who made the film)
Dreamdancer

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 pm

If I were playing, I'd be terrified of Avatar's comments...

They kinda feel like a dude shouting at you for doing a million little things wrong in insert sport of your choice the first time you try it.
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 pm

I terrify myself sometimes... And it's not always shouting. I usually capitalize for emphasis, so unless the whole thing is capped, it's not shouted. Then again, a lot of it is all caps on bad runs. Then again, Jay doesn't seem to care, so I guess it's fine. Actually, I'm not even shouting because I'm angry, but because I care. I just leave the "come on, you got this" out of it becaus it's not constructive and they're long enough as is.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Ah, I think it's the caps that makes it feel shouty then :)

You should record a voice track!
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm not even sure how I would do that, and would you guys really watch the bid again with my voice track?

The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 pm

If you send me an audio track before I delete the original vid from my hard drive (usually keep them one or two days after upload) I can overlay it on my vid as the only sound and post the new version on my channel. Unfortunately there will be no game sounds as those get mixed with my voice track.

If you don't know how to do a voice recording just download audacity (its free) and it is fairly self explanatory don't worry about about audio compression/equalization etc I can do that on my end if you send me the file.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:17 pm

On that note do it on part 29 or part 30 (29 if you want to once again say "You shouldn't be proud of that one" 30 if you want to just play to a litany of errors)
:)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons