[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Trailblazing

Trailblazing

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Trailblazing

Postby TheSchachter on Sat May 18, 2013 12:36 am

Love the new Kingdom interface! It looks just fantastic. I just thought I'd put in some early thoughts:

- The menu color seems to blend a little too much with the website's background. Nothing major, but I personally find it adds a little bit of strain on the eyes when reading.

-Seeing the "threat level" icons line up with the bosses on the Dungeons' descriptions was a bit confusing at first. This probably won't be a problem when things change like Nandrew described above though.

- I'd prefer to have the dungeon's description tab expanded when I selected. Right now it shows me the classes with which I've cleared it, which is fine, but if I'm selecting a dungeon for the first time it's the description I'm going to want to read. I dunno, it just feels more natural to me that way (but maybe that's just me... or maybe it's a bug rather than intended functionality...?)

(minor spoilers below)

- This could be a very personal gripe (EDIT: by which I meant potentially specific to me), but it's a pretty big one in terms of the impact of the game's narrative: I really don't like that you can see what the bosses of the Vicious dungeons (and Gaan-Telet) look like when selecting them on the map (except Dragon Isle). Sure, they're mostly modified regular monster sprites, but I liked going in to the Vicious dungeons without getting to see what the boss would look like beforehand; it added to the mystique of it, and it felt pretty awesome to face them down for the first time (and be killed :P). This is especially true for (hard) Gaan-Telet; I feel like Horatio's appearance should be the game's "final surprise", in a sense, and I'd have been really sad if it had been spoiled for me (especially since the game's narrative really hypes up Horatio as the big bad, but never lets you see him). Of course, maybe this is part of the "in progress" status of the interface, but if not, I'm really hoping you'll consider hiding them, at least before they've been cleared once. I simply feel it kills the suspense and anticipation that comes with unlocking and first trying those dungeons.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh; I'd like to say, again, that I love the way it all looks. It's just that that last bit feels really important to me. (which is, of course, because I love this game to pieces) :)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 18, 2013 2:52 am

Wow. I was literally just thinking the same thing about the bosses. I highly support a question mark icon for those. Also, it always seems kind of weird to see The firstborn listed as DI's boss when DL and NC have their respective final bosses, not the earlier ones.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby grimskallen on Sat May 18, 2013 8:25 am

I would love something that indicates which class I have finished the dungeon with (When having clicked the dungeon)
I know I can see this on the adventure map, but I don't think it would be hard to have something indicating it on the class selection screen either. Anyone agree on this?

Also just encountered a bug where the mana trail span in circles around my mana bar (while I stood still) until I moused over it.
grimskallen

Postby Lujo on Sat May 18, 2013 8:45 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons