[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - First 8 gold challenges.

First 8 gold challenges.

All things Desktop Dungeons

First 8 gold challenges.

Postby Kingdom of One on Fri May 24, 2013 2:37 pm

So I completed half the gold challenges (8/15)
It looks like the monster classes don't have any ;(

I've rated them in terms of how much fun they were.

1/5: Disappointing. Needs major changes (to be fun).
2/5: Can be made fun with some minor changes.
3/5: Fun, but not too special (would consider some minor updates).
4/5-5/5: Really nice challenge.

Again, just my opinion and I didn't really take notes or try any again after I beat them so some have only 1-2 attempts which certainly may not be representative.

Wizard: Didn't feel too different to a normal dungeon (perhaps that you'd taken a tricky class into).
3/5

Sorcerer: Completed first time but was a really fun game and required some nice interactions.
4/5

Bloodmage: Took many attempts. Was very rewarding when I won. I had to try many different ideas and learnt multiple new techniques. My favourite so far.
5/5

Thief: Disappointing after how fun bronze was (and silver was pretty good). Felt like I got a lot of impossible starts. Felt like I was restarting till I could get past level 2-3 and after that it didn't require anything too special (but I guess management of the corrosion/weakening is a little different from most other dungeons).
1.5/5

Rogue: Felt fairly unique (though nothing special strategy-wise) until the boss fight. The whole dungeon seemed very reliant on the right glyphs spawning (I think this is because of the boss stats). My penultimate run felt identical to my final run except that at the end of one of them the boss felt impossible and at the end of the other he seemed easy (due to glyphs).
3/5

Assassin: Seemed pretty cool until the lvl9 monsters spawned in the subdungeon and gave experience, then seemed underwhelming. I would suggest the lvl9's are lvl10 (or just don't spawn).
2/5

Fighter: A nice feel. It's the only one I tried from when I started playing (I haven't looked at it since). I remember it was fun and convinced me to save the others till later so must have been quite good. I remember trying multiple different races/strategies until I got the win.
5/5

Berserker: Seemed to force-feed you a strategy a bit too much. Had another nice 'kill the boss with the last possible hit' game here. I would drop the bosses physical resistance (but add some base damage to compensate) just to make the path (though I'm sure there are others) a little less obvious.
3/5

Overall they're pretty fun but some of them lack the unique feel (or challenge) I'd expected after completing all the bronze/silver challenges. I think it's also disappointing to have no real reward. Even a token small amount of gold would make them feel significantly nicer to embark upon.
Kingdom of One

Re: First 8 gold challenges.

Postby squirrelnest on Fri May 24, 2013 11:08 pm

veto slots are a pretty cool reward
squirrelnest

Postby The Avatar on Sat May 25, 2013 12:00 am

Cool perhaps, but not that useful except for stuff you hate or very specific strategies. Nice write up Kingdom of One.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Kingdom of One on Sat May 25, 2013 9:44 am

Are veto slots cool?

I think they are only important when you want to optimise a run on a super hard dungeon.

For my current play of just firefighting around the dungeon map and finishing whichever challenges I feel like they're not very useful.

I guess when I try to progress with the vicious dungeons again I'll be glad to have them. I'm not sure why they require you to have the item you want to veto though - it seems like when you finally know what you want to veto then you have an annoying additional task of going to find it (which may not take that long but probably won't be all that enjoyable).
Kingdom of One

Postby Lujo on Sat May 25, 2013 10:24 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Kingdom of One on Sat May 25, 2013 1:29 pm

:lol: I promise I don't keep bringing up hotly debated issues on purpose!
I'm just late to the party and haven't read through many of the previous forum discussions.

I guess I won't mention the idea this brings up of a 'workshop' building - that collects all items you leave the dungeon with and once you have 10 or so of one you can make them (for a price) to add to your locker/veto slots indefinitely - then.
Kingdom of One

Postby Lujo on Sat May 25, 2013 2:27 pm

:D There is no way to play this game long enough and not have an idea along those lines or whish it was allready there numerous times, or even get frustrated by the fact that it isn't. Feel free to bring it up (who's to stop you?), just don't expect anything to come off it no matter how reasonable it sounds. Reason had nothing to do with why it's not there, as far as I'm concerned (and here's hoping that "more pressing issues" did have something to do with why it's not there YET).

If it ever does turn up, I'll be glad it did. And so would probably just about anyone who ever posted on the boards...
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Sun May 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Also, Lujo tends to ignore/invalidate people who don't post on this forum. It doesn't matter how many times we mention the numbers of people who tell us they like hunting for items in the game, if they don't post here, they don't exist.

Seeing as barely 2% of the active player base posts here, that specific perspective is bound to be slightly skewed... Which is something he also doesn't believe us about either ;) That's why us devs are bad and evil and stuff.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Sun May 26, 2013 1:53 pm

I never said you were bad and evil :D

I'm just saying that the way you approached that whole discussion might've resulted in a bunch of guys getting really disappointed with you. And since all these guys were telling you a thing I agree with, and on rather solid grounds (IMO), and since it's a rather obvious thing that will keep cropping up (like it just did), I'd say they had a reason to be disappointed.

Now if you gave the exact same reasons why it's out of the question to Kingdom of One here that you gave us, I don't think he'd think you're evil or bad. But I don't see him being able to see you as reasonable as far as that issue is concerned.

And as for ignoring/invalidating people who don't post - there is no way anyone can prove that scumming for something to locker and just pressing a buton that shuts the game off, staring at a blank wall with "scumming" on it for a set period of time until the game reloads and the item is lockered, isn't the same thing. It's not a matter of liking or not liking it, it's a fact. So what anyone who doesn't understand this thinks doesn't matter because he isn't the one being forced to do something he sees no point in. Anyone who does understand is is forced to do something he doesn't have any reason to want to do if it can be avoided. Simple thruth.

EDIT: What got people disappointed (and possibly insulted) even before I outright called you fools is not you guys (or anyone) having an opinion on the matter, but you guys insisting that something that's plain as day and factual isn't so. The fact that we felt like we had to put so much effort into explaining the whole thing even before you replied was a huge concession on our part, because it is equal to having to write a really tactful science paper about the sky being blue. Not WHY, but just that it IS. And then you guys just wouldn't back down with insisting that it in fact isn't. It is, and if you believe enough people don't notice the sky is there at all - it's fine, it's your game, you are the devs. Anyone who ever looks up will notice it.
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Sun May 26, 2013 8:08 pm

Yeah. Like I said: ignore/invalidate.

As long as you fail to ask why people could possibly have fun hunting items, you're not going to have a balanced viewpoint.
dislekcia

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons