[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - New-Age Combat

New-Age Combat

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: New-Age Combat

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat May 25, 2013 1:15 am

Honestly I used the pop ups on a couple of missions (they will go up tomorrow) and found them kind of a mixed bag. They slowed me down a lot, but they did prevent any accidental clicking myself to death.
One thing I did not like is how they present when you are fighting at the edge of the screen. On the bottom it covered up the hotkeys, and on the top it covered up my character and enemy I was fighting. Sure I could see all the necessary info, and I know the hotkeys, but that kind of thing just isn't pretty. It just needs some polish, I always like seeing my character on screen and the combat even if it is just a quick animation.
One thing I very much like in this mode is the ability to select an enemy so I can finally read those popups that explain their abilities (like corrosive and poison). I don't know if that was possible before or not, but it possible now, and since I don't use the wiki so much it is very important to me :)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby Schandlich on Sat May 25, 2013 3:24 am

One of these Fridays I won't crash in the first 10 minutes of playing the game. Today is not that Friday. Crashing when playing any of the class specific quests. Mouse over the new Quest button in the preparations. ArgumentOutOfRange exception.

Someone forgot their string.IsNullEmptyOrWhiteSpace check. ;)
Schandlich

Postby Nurator on Sat May 25, 2013 7:09 am

Honestly I dont like the new system at ALL! Mainly because I like regen fighting and this is just annoying. Click on monster, click AGAIN to attack click to move away click click click... its really slow :(

I would love a system, where you would target a monster by clicking on it and had the new icons displayed at the edge of the screen next to the hp/mana bars. If you move around for shopping/gods/regeneration, the display would stay the same until you click on another monster to change your target.

Or you drop the new buttons, make a small monster bar next to the player bar on the right side of the screen, add a small attack button and just click on stuff in your inventory to use it on the monster. That would be cool and really intuitive :)
Nurator

Postby flap on Sat May 25, 2013 8:39 am

The idea is good, but it could really be speed up if a short click would attack the monster as usual, but keeping the mouse pressed for a long time would pop that interface up (and disappear on mouse release).
flap

Postby The Avatar on Sun May 26, 2013 10:36 pm

On an unrelated note, I just realized something. None of the icons for the god boons are updated, and they are wrong half of the time (i.e. it never says Blood swell adds a curse). This needs to be fixed.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Ottbot on Mon May 27, 2013 12:10 am

I can definitely see the new pop-up system being useful for new players, as it shows you all your options in combat, and cuts down on mis-click deaths. I think any experienced player is going to prefer speed, however, and opt for the old method.

The game is looking much more polished these days, with all the graphical enhancements and attention to the UI.
Ottbot

Postby dislekcia on Mon May 27, 2013 12:18 am

dislekcia

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon May 27, 2013 12:43 am

actually as you can see at 33:17 on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsu2D5EqMrM from yesterday blood swell does mention the curse
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby dislekcia on Mon May 27, 2013 10:44 am

dislekcia

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon May 27, 2013 2:48 pm

oic you want to make it simpler for people like me who either A: don't read or B ignore what they read :)

That is good of you :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons