Does QCF understand how much fun DD is?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Does QCF understand how much fun DD is?

Postby Rellarella on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:18 am

Kind of a odd question but one that comes to mind after I slogged through locker debates. The QCF devs want DD to be a roguelike-esque experience with the player trying to solve procedurally generated problems with procedurally generated tools. I think QCF has succeeded spectacularly at their goal but they haven't really acknowledged that some players prefer playing with their tools instead of just using them.

In CCGs there's players that want to do nothing but make ridiculous combo decks, in dotalikes there's players that use weird janky item builds for fun, in DD there's players hellbent on making use of conversion fodder. The playerbase's lust for unlimited locker slots isn't just because they want an optimal loadout at all times but because they want to experiment with item interactions.

Of course, picking an item from a huge list would be overwhelming for newer players and cause major analysis paralysis. I think QCF could please the "Johnny" type players that want to explore items by having a token that allowed a player to go into a dungeon with whatever item they desire and receive no reward for dungeon completion.
Rellarella

Re: Does QCF understand how much fun DD is?

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:24 am

Wow. That is the best suggestion I have heard all day. For anything. Seriously, IMO, the only reason I've ever wanted the "vault", or whatever the super locker is called, is to make cool, crazy, trickshot combos. It also might be worth not counting that run for completion (and quest completion, etc.). Basically, the run never happened in the meta game.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:27 am

I don't think that it changes anything for the infinite locker idea, because the discussion was never about using it to unlock stuff or for completion but always for trying certain combos. So this will not really change the devs point, I guess.
berpdreyfuss

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:36 pm

The devs point (or perhaps I'm misremembering) is that free switching would lead to even more scumming in the actual run, but the only reason to scum in-run is to beat the run (and thus for gold and completion). If gold and completion were turned off, it wouldn't incentivize scumming in-run and it would remove it out of run for players who want to experiment or mess around.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby booooooze on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Not really on topic, but I was just randomly thinking about the game in general. I don't know when I bought it, but I registered for the forums almost two years ago, I must have been playing a bit before that... there aren't a lot of games I bought two years ago that I'm still playing. I'll fire up Civ every now and then, still go on a nethack binge from time to time, but nothing like DD. Best $20 I've ever spent.

Devs: I'm guessing somewhere there's data in each kingdom about how many adventurers you've sent out, how many came back alive, etc? Don't know what the special edition building will be, but I'd imagine a lot of forum folk would be into The Statistician's Hut, where you could look at all of those numbers that pop up in encouragements. I would, anyway. I'm curious how many dungeon runs I've been on over the four kingdoms I've done so far.
booooooze

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Oh wow. I'm not sure I want to know. If you saw the kingdom with all art things active, there was something with a rainbow. That will be the building with the new soecial edition class.

The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm resigned to any kind of vault functionality being confined to mods or mod-like tools. I just want to play around with marginal combos without having to waste my free time doing scum runs. I don't buy the argument that hotswapping a Health Pendant for the Dragonshield is going to break the game. I also don't buy that gold scumming is in any way similar to item scumming. You can bank gold, and you get it by playing the game normally. You can't bank scum time, and you do it by playing the game in an unnatural and not fun way.

Anyways everything that can be said has been said. When the final game comes out, I hope we can organize together and make create a quality DungeonVault mod. Or maybe we should call it Packmaster?
Sidestepper

Postby Checkem on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:30 pm

A little unrelated but since we're talking about shop item scumming here, the items you get from beating the vicious (and the dragon soul) dungeons can only be used in-dungeon if you prep them from the lockers correct?

And also, dragon souls don't stack do they?
Checkem

Postby booooooze on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:50 pm

The dragon soul will show up in shops. I've never prepped it, so I don't know if it stacks.

The others all have to be prepped.
booooooze

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:59 pm

You have to prep the others, and dragon souls stack in the sense that you get 2 15% chances (I'm pretty sure).

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons