[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Does QCF understand how much fun DD is?

Does QCF understand how much fun DD is?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Does QCF understand how much fun DD is?

Postby Naoya on Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:02 pm

Naoya

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 am

The way i see it, adding an infinite 'Johnny's locker' is the same thing as being handed a cheat code or hex editor.

Although it may be fun, you are basically declaring "I am bored with the RNG of this game and want experience the game in a permanently different way".

Although some players may think they are prepared for it, from my experience the thrill of getting everything at your fingertips never outweighs the disappointment of having the old way of plying the game ruined for you.

Basically, once you unlock pandora's box you can never go back.

EDIT: of course, I would use this feature in a heart beat, but that's because ive seen most of what this game can offer content-wise. The final frontier for me is playing around with crazy classes and beating stupidly hard dungeons (although i still don's succeed).

I've done my time, but i still want to milk what i can out of DD. it's that good a fundamental system that you don;t want the ride to end. it has the same mechanical addictiveness as the best-balanced FPS or puzzle game, where you don't need bells and whistles and storylines to make the game good; they are just curve-balls to keep players on their toes.
Bloggorus

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:53 am

I agree with you to a certain extent. The key point is making it available after you've done EVERYTHING in the game (all quests and dungeons beaten).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:35 am

The key question is this: Why should we delay getting the game to thousands of people who won't enjoy this feature, many of whom would actually find it detrimental to gameplay, when there are other, much more impactful things that we still need to finish doing?

If there's a significant need for something like this AFTER release, maybe we'll be able to add it then. But right now, it's a terrible decision in terms of usage of our time - even if we could figure out a way to implement something like this without it feeling like utter crap for the rest of the game. You guys are right - it is the sort of functionality that gets built in some strange way to support a small group of people with a very specific problem.

Going back to MtG: I'm not a huge fan of the way the game constantly forces players to pay for new cards, but have you seen how quickly the acceptance of printed cards destroys a player community? I've watched that happen twice now, years apart, and it's always surprising how quickly people just lose interest in the game.
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:35 pm

I'm glad you posted that. Most of us (I assume), are not professional programmers and don't know how DD is coded, so we lack any idea as to how long it will take.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby squirrelnest on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

I want to reply to the topic name more so than its content. I sure hope they do. This game still blows me away.

Thanks guys.

Slightly more on topic, in my experience, the problem with proxy Magic is that people no longer take the time to learn the more subtle elements of the decks they are printing out, then move on to a new one much too quickly. Even simple seeming decks such a RDW have some very "overlookable" elements the pilot needs to learn. And if you print out 43-Land and hour before the play session? Well, that's going to be a mess.
squirrelnest

Postby Abraxas on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:47 pm

That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:07 pm

I am a professional programmer (to an extent) and I can tell you that it's got nothing to do with design choices and everything to do with risk analysis.

People often get angry with programmers and IT people because they never seem to give a straight answer: it's because even the simplest request presents an element of risk that things are more complicated. Sure it's fine to dick around trying things in the initial stages, but when it comes to crunch time, you need to be able to rely on your base code being rock solid.

You need a plan, and you need to stick to it, because even the tiniest deviation can end up eating days of your time with unforeseen complications and bugs that you con;t backtrack because the whole project is steaming ahead to quickly.

From the response from players, everyone agrees that an infinite locker would be worthwhile spending the time to implement. However, taking the time to make what seems like a minor change this late in the piece puts the whole project at risk, adding weeks or months to a title that many people have been waiting patiently for years for.

The best thing QCF can do is release the final game and it's code to the community. There are many fans, including myself, who would be happy to contribute their time to whip out an infinite locker mod.
Bloggorus

Postby Waldo0 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:04 am

I just use Hobbler's Hold with Human or Goblin Transmuter to fill my lockers or vetoes.

Transmuter starts with LEMMISH, so he can easily find the shops.

If you are Veteran, I don't think Vicious maps would problems, because he will have a solid combo to clear the maps easily.

In addition, the veteran would be having enough lockers 7~9 to store the vicious' items.

I think Locker system is one of funny contents to attract new players in this game(and, I still like it.).

"Waldo0 : I can store some cool items in my treasure locker which I got in the dungeons!"

My favorite locker item is Fabulous Treasure.

I don't use it a lot. but, when I use it, It make me to feel I'm rich person who can buy everything in the shops! LOL

However, If I have an infinite locker, then the Fabulous Treasure would be a just one of normal items which I don't need any effort to get it.
Last edited by Waldo0 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
*F+Click* "WTF? Oh.. the monster had a 'Retaliate: Fireball'...." -2012 Waldo0
"I cleared this game!!!" -2013 Waldo0
Waldo0

Postby Lujo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:33 am

Last edited by Lujo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons