[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Help with Silver Challenges

Help with Silver Challenges

All things Desktop Dungeons

Help with Silver Challenges

Postby Ash on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:17 am

Bit of a noob here begging for help - I seem to be trapped in the main game without much in the way of assistance, whether due to my general poor play or due to the fact that I lack a large majority of the unlockable items. To hopefully remedy one of these issues, I tried for the silver challenges - and after days of attempts and generally scouring the forums here I decided to give in, create an account, and ask the question, why is it that most silver challenges are without guides or much in the way of help? Though I'll admit that some of the challenges don't particularly need them (the Fighter's silver, for example), and some have been created despite my inability to follow them to any positive outcome (although Avatar's Thief Silver run-through is still extremely helpful and quite masterfully done). So, really what I'm asking here is, would it be possible to get some tips or quick rundowns of how to successfully overcome the Silver challenges?
Ash

Re: Help with Silver Challenges

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:36 am

Could you post some screenshots of your score screen on your attempts at Silver challenges that you're having problems with? The stats there should help people give you tips on elements of your play to look at :)
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:57 pm

A video is always the best, for feedback, but a score screen should be plenty. Often for the silver challenges it is a matter of not having the necessary items or gods unlocked. Posting a screenshot of your kingdom screen and listing unlocked gods should help determine the problem too.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:05 pm

The silver challenges are actually some of the tougher events the game throws at you. dislekcia is right that it's hard for us to give specific pointers when we don't know where your shortcomings are. It's actually been a while since I played them, but I'll see if I can get you some pointers on specific levels when I get the chance.

I will say this: the best items are granted by Rogue Silver, Monk Silver, Sorcerer Silver, and Bloodmage Silver.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:12 pm

All of which are nigh impossible without the correct gods (except blood age, which was was just plain awful). The silver dungeons are as hard as hard to sometimes even close to vicious, so you might need to go back to the real game.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Rogue Silver isn't bad, although Pactmaker is very nice to have.
Darvin

Postby Ash on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Since I originally posted this (thanks to the 1-2 day wait between first posts, something I really like about how this forum operates), I managed to beat the main issues I'd been having, particularly Monk Silver & Warlord Silver, but my ass has been consistently kicked by the likes of Rogue, Assassin, Sorcerer, Bloodmage, & Priest Silver.

With Rogue it's a problem of not being able to balance my tile usage and my ability to level up: either I waste a bunch of space, or I'm severely under-leveled for the boss. For Assassin, I think it's due to a reliance on a particular strategy (namely the Goblin Experience Junkie strategy) and an unawareness of any other optimal strategies for taking out the 3-part Anoobiss Boss battle, which I would very much appreciate. For Sorcerer, it's a problem of finding the right enemies to deal with, and constantly being pestered by the likes of the Stone Golems & the Animated Swords that haunt that level, as well as the final bosses Fireball retaliation. Bloodmage Silver is at least thematic, as I'm pretty sure extended play of that level could cause me to grip my temples so ferociously that I begin to cut deeply into them, so there's that, but otherwise, I have nary an idea of how to deal with it, which is also due to my general sucky play of Bloodmage. And finally, on Priest, I seem to be having a similar problem to my problem in Rogue.

I wish I could provide scores or videos to help, but right now my computer is on the fritz. Though I still love the feedback on simply my post - I totally didn't expect such a positive response! If anyone could provide extra help in the meantime before I can get my computer back in working condition, I would appreciate it greatly, and I would hope others with the same problems would, too!
Ash

Postby Darvin on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Rogue requires pactmaker. The key is using the pactmaker by itself with warrior pact fueld by consensus to level, then drac for boss healing. Sorcerer is rather easy with Binlor. He gives you PISORF which you should use as your primary offensive glyph and magic res for the boss. Assassin requires you to reach level 10 before tackling the boss. That means you have to level up using APHEELSIK to regen fight higher level enemies. I would still be a goblin in case you are a few exp short of level 10. I don't remember bloodmage well enough, and for priest you need a level 3 witch.

Only your first (few maybe?) post(s) need to be reviewed.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:52 pm

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons