[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Scapegoats and Holy Divers

Scapegoats and Holy Divers

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Scapegoats and Holy Divers

Postby Darvin on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby harfatum on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:18 pm

The god bouncing and the food/conversion mechanic almost seem like they'd be great gimmicks for different characters. Or, the food/conversion mechanic would be the racial trait, and the god bouncing would be a class trait. There could be a lot of unintended consequences from letting goats be other classes, but perhaps you could have just one or two other options, like Guard or Fighter.

To me, the food mechanic sounds like a great challenge to turn the game upside down. The god bouncing seems like it could be fun, but due to the highly random nature it seems like it might make me mad sometimes too.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:31 pm

I think he food mechanic was meant to balance the obvious "explore for leveling, convert for spiking" by making exploration tricky.

It's funny how it seems that you could implement something like that into the rest of the game and get the "roguelike mode" that the devs seem to think is allready there but actually isn't :D A lot of their perspective in the more vicious debates would make a lot more sense if it were a core feature (and a lot of the things would actually work as they seem to have intended/wanted judging from said outlook). (Again, have to see it in effect, but I think I'm right on this).
Lujo

Postby harfatum on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:42 pm

Ah, yes, I was thinking of the food requirement, the no-levelup-bonus, and conversion for healing/mana as a complete package. They should go together.
Last edited by harfatum on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby Lujo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:48 pm

The no level up bonus is, I think, unsurmountable without the crazy ass CP refresh of something of that sort. As an exploration deterrent on it's own, the food system would actually make the game play more intuitively - it sounds like something that's in fact missing and should've been there all along for all sorts of reasons. Sounds like - I've yet to see it in action, but without it the game is a bit too easy* once you learn it (owerwhelming to learn though), and with it it'd be a bit hardcore (that is more of a roguelike) but a really, really good hardcore game.

The no heal on lvl-up would hose down lvl-catapults, but I'm not sure that'd be necessary for regular gameplay**, that's more to make vets switch it up and start prepping fabulous treasure and referring to themselves in 3rd person like Lujo does :D

EDIT:* that is - once you know what everything is and does there is a really wide margin of error. I'm sure of it because I get away with gameplay so sloppy it'd give Avatar a stroke.

**there are a lot more classes that depend on level catapults than any other mechanic. Removing it entirely in this way would kill them dead. Reducing the exploration margin of error would only really hurt the monk and the paladin, and those two can take a kick in the balls and not notice. Heck if it hurt the monk too bad, they could always *ghasp* rebuff him.
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons