[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Special Edition Character Now Available!

Special Edition Character Now Available!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Special Edition Character Now Available!

Postby Lujo on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:38 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby thegabbert on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:35 am

How far into the game do you have to be to get the new character? I don't have any goats or rainbows on my kingdom screen. I have the special edition but have been avoiding playing until release, just lurking to watch the UI changes and keeping up with the forums.
thegabbert

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:45 am

It costs 3000 to upgrade, so it could be after you win the game, or at least after you get the final bank upgrade.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby FDru on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:49 am

First Goatperson starved to death in Hexx Ruins after being converted to GG and while not paying attention, chugging a potion and losing all items.

Not sure when the new Revenant graphics were put in but they're hideous and awesome.

Piety log is slick.

Great update :mrgreen:
FDru

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:04 am

The revenant/rusalka/dripping skeleton* graphic was put in awhile ago, but I totally agree. That's my favorite sprite.

*Not Featured.

Hexx is terrible for the goat person. The revenants don't give you food (to my knowledge), and you basically are forced to prep a venom ward.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby harfatum on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:21 am

I gave in and tried two goatperson runs of Venture Cave, prepped Spoon and Magnet: Fireball each time.

First run, couldn't find enough enemies that were killable before running out of food. JJ hit me with poison, corrosion, and weakness before killing more than a couple. Aborted at level 1.

Second run, picked up some mana boosts right off the bat, and was able to level up. Started with JJ again, bounced to Dracul and was able to pick up lifesteal and sanguine, and then back to JJ. Things were going pretty great, even though I got hit with weakening. Then boof, guess what, you're with the Glowing Guardian now, who hadn't even been revealed. Guess it's time to go home.

As I kind of expected, the food mechanic is cool, and the god mechanic is interesting but frustrating - especially when you can get screwed over by the undiscovered gods having a chance of someone who will just end your run. I'd still like to see them separated somehow.

Yeah, there's fun and strategy in preparing for anything, but these runs were kind of unsatisfying. (n.b. I have beaten a couple Vicious dungeons and cleared most of the quests, so I'm no Avatar/Lujo but I think I know what I'm doing to a degree). And yeah, I did get particularly bad luck...
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby Lujo on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:59 am

To be fair, the succesful runs I've had all had me running into something sinergistic/unaccounted for - B2P, smacklefunky's and I can't immagine what it would be like without having a 100 gold from starting off with fabulous treasure. And I've lost a run from using B2P with GG and losing all my items :D

And I've managed to squeeze a Slime Pits win after having to convert everything with nothing overly sinergistic, but it looked completely lost untill I decided to explore on an empty stomach, found a lvl1 dude, got some food and the poison on SMM didn't run out so I managed to get the last hit in. However, with any sinergistic drop life is not so difficult with the goat, but there is a largeish feeling of losing control as opposed to regular gameplay.
Lujo

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:34 am

As others said: Wow. Nice update.

Great new interesting class which will make me learn about all the gods eventually.

The stat updates are very useful and still subtle, for my taste they could stay a little bit longer, I often miss the actual number and just see that something changed.

What about a food token? I think this mechanism would be interesting for other classes as well, it really makes the game a lot more roguelike-like.
berpdreyfuss

Postby Kingdom of One on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:17 am

Not had much time to play but I gave Dragon Isles a go.

My first impression is that the new class is insanely overpowered.

I went balanced dagger and bought an amulet of 50xp (though I think amulet is a better prep).
Wait until you have no easy dagger exp gains and a god you can't farm (or until killing same lvl enemies takes resources) and then just use the amulet. Should have enough exp that you don't need any tough fights to get lvl 9.
It seems like anything that gives you access to extra exp is insane - you just want to get to 9/10 as quickly as possible while keeping as much food/convertible items as possible.
It's just a nice side effect that this method helps with food management.

You can use Bludtopowa simply to uncover the extra tiles for free to gain food for CP if you're about to explore at full health.

The Pactmaker boon with the extra CP should be insane with the food as long as one of your gods is a piety farm.

I think that once people get better at the god interactions this class will be unstoppable.
(I lost my DI stomping because I missed that lvling up after lvl 10 would change my god - to GG from Dracul after getting all the boons and having a full inventory for CPs - sigh)

I can't play for a week or so - hope it won't be too nerfed when I get back ^^
Also, I don't know if the plan is to balance it all that much, but if there are changes to be made, I would hope that other considerations are taken before upping the CP threshold as I find CP thresholds over 100 (ie. vampire's) a bit ungainly.
Kingdom of One

Postby Lujo on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:31 am

I'm not sure it'll be nerfed - the class is insanely powerful if you run into sinergistic stuff. If not - you're pretty much screwed :) It's a very roguelike thing.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons