Suggestion: In-dungeon 'conduct' list for badges

All things Desktop Dungeons

Suggestion: In-dungeon 'conduct' list for badges

Postby Quizer on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:20 pm

I think it would be nice if there was a way to see what badges you are missing while you are in a dungeon, as well as which ones you still / no longer can obtain during the current run. NetHack, that ur-example of roguelikes, has a conduct list that tells you which voluntary challenges you have been adhering to so far in the run.

It would be nice if Desktop Dungeons had something similar, so you can check during a dungeon run whether you've bought something from shops, converted something, or used any glyphs. I think the quest log in the menu would be the right place for that, since there's only ever like two, maybe three quests maximum for each dungeon at the same time.

You could have a list of all the 10 (11?) badges there with their descriptions, have them faded out or solid depending on whether you've already earned them in a previous run, and have the text be strikethrough if you violated the conduct that would let you earn that badge on the current run. Or some other scheme - you're the designer. But I definitely think something like this should be in the game. I hate ending up wasting a run on trying to earn a badge I already had, or being unsure whether I already violated my Miser conduct.

(If there is a dedicated place to post suggestions like this, please let me know. I'll re-post this in the appropriate location if that isn't here.)

Since this is my first post, let me also add my thanks for making a great game like this! I thought the alpha version of the game could already stand very well on its own merits, but the game has come a long way since then, and I don't regret spending the money on preordering! Keep up the good work!

Quizer
Quizer

Re: Suggestion: In-dungeon 'conduct' list for badges

Postby Lujo on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:44 am

Support this woleheartedly.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby squirrelnest on Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:49 pm

Just wanted to toss my hat into the pile- this would be very nice to have.
squirrelnest

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Agreed. +1 to this suggestion.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Raz on Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:03 pm

I agree to this one also- Great suggestion Quizer!
Raz

Postby Lujo on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:56 pm

(we've been asking for it for ages - but it's great to see a brand new person join with the forums just to suggest it, big thumbs up)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Bloggorus on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:29 am

One word: Codex.

Patience, people.
Bloggorus

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:00 am

This isn't really a codex thing. He isn't asking for an in-game explanation of what the badges mean, he's asking for a real time status report on which badges are still available right now in this specific run.
Sidestepper

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 pm

The codex has had a "current quest" element to it for a while now. We'll see if we can include some badge info as well :)
dislekcia

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:19 pm

this sounds great. currently when I do random runs and go for badges I hit random, then have to go all the way back to the dungeon screen to get all the badges to display so I know which ones I'm going to go for. Seeing them in dungeon would be helpful indeed.

I am looking forward to the codex SO much btw :)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons