[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The one and only

The one and only

All things Desktop Dungeons

The one and only

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:03 pm

This probably isn't a huge accomplishment to most of you guys, but I was jumping for joy when I did this.
There will be a video of me doing it, but it probably won't be uploaded for some time. I have a lot of prerecording done because of school.

http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Re: The one and only

Postby dislekcia on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Gives me an idea for an achievement ;)
dislekcia

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Hee hee, the boss-only kill really is satisfying, isn't it? Most of mine were done with the pre-nerf trisword, so good on you for doing it the hard way. I'm guessing that this was extreme fireball spam?

Dislekcia: Hey, if you're looking for outrageous achievement ideas, this should be worth something:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2537&p=22994&hilit=trickshot#p22994

Also, more people need to try this challenge.
Sidestepper

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 pm

No I didn't even pick up BURNDAYRAZ actually. The only glyphs I used on the boss were APHEELSIK and WEYTWUT
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:12 pm

Lols. Did you just use your goblin level ups and find the boss ASAP? Nicely done.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Not many ways left to do that, and AFAIK none that can legitimately be done at the 1st level. Well done.

Trip down memory lanes: what "boss only" kill strategies have existed in the past?

* There was the 1-hit-wonder Orc Crusader with strength potion spam.
* Back when burning was uncapped, the Burning Heart Bloodmage could do it (man, it took so long before people realized just how broken that was)
* Back before the poison nerf, Elf Assassin could do it quite easily (and back in that brief period when Assassins actually could corrode enemies, it was exceedingly easy to pull off)
* Trisword Gnome with PISORF, smash-happy as he was
* In the brief period where the Sorcerer had an infinite-loop with BLUDTUPOWA he could do it
* Back when Blood Curse was repeatable and Dracul had Blood Power, you could just become a 10th level wizard with an obscene amount of MP once you found Dracul, then kill the boss.
Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Hardcore dodge/death protection stacking can still do it. Rogue and Warlord are the best at it.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:39 pm

Darvin

Postby Sidestepper on Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:53 pm

I've done it with a Rogue in Den of Danger before. Lujo has done it all sorts of ways. He had a thread about it somewhere, but I can't find it anymore.
Sidestepper

Postby Darvin on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:05 pm

It's not actually that hard. Had to scum a bit, but everything lined up on my 4th attempt. Only one dodge (quicksilver) during the boss fight. Desecrated Dracul to reduce myself to 1 HP so I could use CYDSTEPP mid-fight, had Namtar's Ward, bought the badge of courage, and I might have been able to scrounge up enough piety for unstoppable fury from Taurog, but it never came to that.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons